News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT- MLB has moved All Star Game out of Atlanta

Started by Painter, April 02, 2021, 04:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

GiantsRevival2

Bob In PA

Quote from: Philosophers on April 05, 2021, 02:40:43 PM
Bob - I'm a giant believer that national public policy is extremely complicated so we need first and foremost really smart people in Congress.  Second, we need people whose motivation is serving the public and caring about the best interests of the U.S. and for humanity as well and not looking first and foremost at building their personal brande or someone whose only skill is saying everything is wrong or having beliefs that border on crazy.  I simply don't understand how anyone thinks some of these candidates are qualified.

When a conservative Republican in 1982 said, "Communism is a global threat" I felt you could agree or disagree with it, but even if you disagreed with it, you didn't think the person was crazy for thinking it as it was only a difference of opinion.  Now, it's I believe this but the other side believes in global cabal of Satan worshipping pedophiles is nuts.

Phil: Most politicians are only smart about 1 of these 2 things: leaders know how to raise money... followers know how to keep their mouths shut and do what they're told by leaders (so you get unqualified people).

There is a "lunatic fringe" in both political parties.  Sadly, it seems they have a lot of time (and money) on their hands, so politicians will do almost anything to get their grubby paws on all that money. 

Politicians love rile people up about the lunatics in the other party because then they don't have to tell you what they stand FOR (vote for me, not because I'm good/smart, but because the other guy is bad/dumb). 

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Painter

As a so called, Irish Catholic who voted for Nixon not JFK, and has most often voted Republican and been right of center in my political sentiment, you can only imagine how betrayed I feel and disgusted I am with today's venal, anti-democratic Republican party.

While having done what may be irreparable damage to our nation's moral character, integrity, and reputation and leadership in the world, one might have hoped that the GOP would now post-Trump have moderated its policy on a number of issues as it recognizes that public opinion is disapproving and trending to the other side. Indeed, Democrats have established a modest but durable electoral majority, holding the House, gaining back the Senate, and winning the Presidency by 7 million votes.

Still, let's not kid ourselves, instead of organizing its coalition around shared policy goals, the GOP continues to emphasize hatred and fear of it political opponents much as they have courted racists, fascists, xenophobes, religious bigots and other venal elements of our society in an  effort to retain power, and make keeping power their highest purpose.

No, it's not Dr. Seuss or

Bob In PA

Rambo89

Not going to get into a debate over the law that was passed in Georgia or the topic in general.  But I agree with MLB making this move to avoid the ASG being taken over by the debate for those 3-4 days in July.  Rather than protests outside the stadium, players opting out and discussion about the issue on the broadcast it will be strictly about baseball.  As with the whole National Anthem debate any time these issues pop up these Pro Sports leagues have to do all they can to eliminate the distraction one way or another.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 02:51:45 PM
Here is what HR 1 does.  Please tell me what you oppose and why
Rich: I think it's imporant to know from where you got that summary. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS that can serve as a replacement for reading the actual bill. In politics (and law) the devil is always in the details.  Bob

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2021, 02:51:45 PM
Here is what HR 1 does.  Please tell me what you oppose and why

Voting rights

Creates new national automatic voter registration that asks voters to opt out rather than opt in, ensuring more people will be signed up to vote. Requires chief state election officials to automatically register eligible unregistered citizens.
Requires each state to put online options for voter registration, correction, cancellation, or designating party affiliation.
Requires at least 15 consecutive days of early voting for federal elections; early voting sites would be open for at least 10 hours per day. The bill also prohibits states from restricting a person

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: Painter on April 05, 2021, 02:54:46 PM
As a so called, Irish Catholic who voted for Nixon not JFK, and has most often voted Republican and been right of center in my political sentiment, you can only imagine how betrayed I feel and disgusted I am with today's venal, anti-democratic Republican party.

While having done what may be irreparable damage to our nation's moral character, integrity, and reputation and leadership in the world, one might have hoped that the GOP would now post-Trump have moderated its policy on a number of issues as it recognizes that public opinion is disapproving and trending to the other side. Indeed, Democrats have established a modest but durable electoral majority, holding the House, gaining back the Senate, and winning the Presidency by 7 million votes.

Still, let's not kid ourselves, instead of organizing its coalition around shared policy goals, the GOP continues to emphasize hatred and fear of it political opponents much as they have courted racists, fascists, xenophobes, religious bigots and other venal elements of our society in an  effort to retain power, and make keeping power their highest purpose.

No, it's not Dr. Seuss or

GiantsRevival2

Quote from: Rambo89 on April 05, 2021, 02:55:57 PM
Not going to get into a debate over the law that was passed in Georgia or the topic in general.  But I agree with MLB making this move to avoid the ASG being taken over by the debate for those 3-4 days in July.  Rather than protests outside the stadium, players opting out and discussion about the issue on the broadcast it will be strictly about baseball.  As with the whole National Anthem debate any time these issues pop up these Pro Sports leagues have to do all they can to eliminate the distraction one way or another.

That

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 02:55:35 PM
Slugs: That is one of the big questions I always ask myself to be sure I'm not spouting nonsense. Bob
Bob

Your responses are always well measured and a class act!  Anyone to say different is a liar!  I always respect and appreciate your views and comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T200

Quote from: GiantsRevival2 on April 05, 2021, 02:29:11 PM
You my friend are stereotyping. I grew up in poverty. You know nothing about me.  You assume you do.   I
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Philosophers

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 02:52:39 PM
Phil: Most politicians are only smart about 1 of these 2 things: leaders know how to raise money... followers know how to keep their mouths shut and do what they're told by leaders (so you get unqualified people).

There is a "lunatic fringe" in both political parties.  Sadly, it seems they have a lot of time (and money) on their hands, so politicians will do almost anything to get their grubby paws on all that money. 

Politicians love rile people up about the lunatics in the other party because then they don't have to tell you what they stand FOR (vote for me, not because I'm good/smart, but because the other guy is bad/dumb). 

Bob

FYI - I am not a lifelong Dem and have voted more Repub than Dem in my life.  That said, I don't see the similarity in "lunatic fringe" across both parties.  On the Dems side, I disagree vociferously with AOC as I think she's a young millennial who has zero clue about what it takes to be effective in Congress and her only skill to date is saying what's wrong.  I disagree with her and Bernie Sanders but that is a disagreement on policy.  That's a far cry from Marjorie Taylor Greene and her crazy theories or Lauren Bobert and her nonsense.  I am not aware of anyone on the Dems side preaching lasers from space though I could be wrong.  One thing I do believe in which is wrong on both parties is that power corrupts and I think either side can have members who break laws or let their power go to their heads or want to be President. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 05, 2021, 03:02:42 PM
Rich: I think it's imporant to know from where you got that summary. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS that can serve as a replacement for reading the actual bill. In politics (and law) the devil is always in the details.  Bob

It was an article on Vox.  I tried to find as neutral a source as possible
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on April 05, 2021, 02:26:26 PM
It is my friend and I appreciate you doing so as a gentleman as always.

I do agree there are a lot of things that still need to be done to change this.  Change can
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance: