News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is SNF vs Cowboys a make or break game?

Started by Uni, August 31, 2023, 03:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uni

Back before the BCS, there would be a game in week one like Miami-Florida State that would basically mean the loser had little shot at winning the National Championship. It was all the marbles before the season even got going.

Cowboys-Giants at Metlife feels like that kind of game for the Giants -- if they win, it means the second year of Schoen/Daboll is the real deal and were looking at 10-11 wins and a second year of playoffs. If they lose, it's a sign they're still not where they need to be and probably means an 8 win season and already looking towards the 2024 draft.

How bad a loss/great a win would the week one game be for the Giants?

True Blue

Winning is ideal obviously, but there is a reason you play all 17 games. Screaming the season is over at 0-1 would be a dramatic overreaction of epic proportions

Uni

If the Giants lose, it means one or a combination of the following:

1) The OL is not good enough to stop playoff caliber DL
2) The LB corps is still not good enough to defend the middle of the field
3) The rookie CBs are more promise than production
4) The DJ contract was a waste of money

Could the Giants coaching staff smoke and mirror the rest of the season for 9 or 10 wins? Probably not, they did that last year but against a lesser schedule. This game is the proving grounds -- are they a playoff team or are they still some pieces away from being one?

True Blue

Quote from: Uni on August 31, 2023, 04:07:45 PMIf the Giants lose, it means one or a combination of the following:

1) The OL is not good enough to stop playoff caliber DL
2) The LB corps is still not good enough to defend the middle of the field
3) The rookie CBs are more promise than production
4) The DJ contract was a waste of money

Could the Giants coaching staff smoke and mirror the rest of the season for 9 or 10 wins? Probably not, they did that last year but against a lesser schedule. This game is the proving grounds -- are they a playoff team or are they still some pieces away from being one?

I respectfully feel you are getting ahead of yourself. If they lose, we have no way to come to those conclusions of why or how they lost. We can easily lose a million different ways without any of those things happening. At this point the only thing certain is they scored more than us in that scenario. Let's just enjoy the ride and hope for a big win  :ok:

DaveBrown74

As far as week one games, it's important, because it's against a divisional opponent, and it's at home. It's a game the Giants kind of need to win if they want to feel good about where they are.

But it's a week one game. I wouldn't get too high about a win, and I wouldn't get too down about a loss. We routinely see NFL teams start their season with something like a 6-2 record, only to sputter down the stretch and either miss the playoffs or get smoked on wildcard weekend.

Conversely, you will see teams that start say 3-5, and get hot down the stretch and then go on a run.

Both of those types of scenarios happen pretty frequently, and those scenarios reference an entire half of a season. So to call a week one game "make or break" is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Thegratefulhead

No, but I expect them to win easy and the score to be close because of garbage points.  I feel that much like last year, we are going to come out the gate running. I feel this way because of the coordinators and HC. I think this team will be more prepared than Dallas week 1 and it will be obvious.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

MightyGiants

I would say it's about twice as important than last year's
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Every division game matters!

Is it the kiss of death if we lose - NO!

Will it open eyes if we win? YES!

Most starters haven't played much and now are off for 2 weeks!  What happens week 1 potentially won't be an indication of how the season goes.

A win would go a long way though!

We have not been in games late in the 4th or kept it close with the Girls or Beagles in years!!!!  A close loss I could see as a big step for our team to build off of.

With all that said I want to see DJ and our Giants destroy the girls!!!!

DaveBrown74

Part of me wishes the week one game were in Dallas. That puts the pressure more on them than us. Starting out 0-1 is not enjoyable, but if it's a road game against a playoff caliber team, it's hardly the end of the world. Starting out 0-1 with a home divisional loss kind of stings.

The Cowboys have had their way with us the last couple of years. I'd really like to take it to 'em in this game. Moreover, it would be great to do that knowing the whole nation is watching. It would send a message to the league.

Jclayton92

Nice of the Cowboys to sign Sean Harlow off our oline that we cut to help scout week 1.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 31, 2023, 05:54:33 PMNice of the Cowboys to sign Sean Harlow off our oline that we cut to help scout week 1.

What could he tell them that they don't know

Jclayton92

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on August 31, 2023, 05:57:11 PMWhat could he tell them that they don't know
cadence or snap counts, offensive linemen assignments, go to plays in certain scenarios like 2pt tries etc. I'm not saying it's major but definitely gamesmanship.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 31, 2023, 06:01:11 PMcadence or snap counts, offensive linemen assignments, go to plays in certain scenarios like 2pt tries etc. I'm not saying it's major but definitely gamesmanship.

Wasn't he the extra Long Snapper?

Also isn't the Preseason a minimal playbook

Idk just don't see it as something of major concern but I could be wrong 

GloryDays

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 31, 2023, 05:54:33 PMNice of the Cowboys to sign Sean Harlow off our oline that we cut to help scout week 1.
Well, we signed a WR that they had dropped for the same reason, to give us info on their cadence and schemes.