News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DJ contract disaster

Started by Uni, November 06, 2023, 12:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uni

DJ will have been paid $84,750,000 through 2024

CMP   ATT   CMP%   YDS   AVG   TD   INT   LNG   RTG
108   160   67.5   909   5.7   2   6   58   70.5

That's over $42 mil for each TD, and over 93,234 per yard

DaveBrown74

It sucks, but it is what it is.

At the time, there really weren't a ton of options. Would they have been better off with Garropolo, who just lost his job to Aiden O'Connell? They were picking in the 20s in a weak QB draft, so a rookie was out of the question. I'm not saying the front office deserves not to take any hit for the contract, because they do, but it wasn't that easy of a situation they were in at the time. At least they left themselves with a way out after 2024, which isn't great but it's a lot better than if they had given him a Kyler Murray type contract.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 06, 2023, 01:16:25 PMIt sucks, but it is what it is.

At the time, there really weren't a ton of options. Would they have been better off with Garropolo, who just lost his job to Aiden O'Connell? They were picking in the 20s in a weak QB draft, so a rookie was out of the question. I'm not saying the front office deserves not to take any hit for the contract, because they do, but it wasn't that easy of a situation they were in at the time. At least they left themselves with a way out after 2024, which isn't great but it's a lot better than if they had given him a Kyler Murray type contract.

Jimmy G's contract is effectively $48 million over 2 years with a dead cap hit of 18mil per year.

Jimmy G isn't any better. But at least he's cheaper.

The contract exit, as many of said - with much denial at the time - was always a 2 year deal. It's always been an expensive out.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 06, 2023, 01:28:59 PMJimmy G's contract is effectively $48 million over 2 years with a dead cap hit of 18mil per year.

Jimmy G isn't any better. But at least he's cheaper.

The contract exit, as many of said - with much denial at the time - was always a 2 year deal. It's always been an expensive out.

Tagging him, with the benefit of hindsight, might have been the better option. But that would have for sure meant saying goodbye to Barkley, which I know many here have a huge problem with.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 06, 2023, 01:43:55 PMTagging him, with the benefit of hindsight, might have been the better option. But that would have for sure meant saying goodbye to Barkley, which I know many here have a huge problem with.

If Barkley had 1 more year on his deal and wasn't a FA yet, I think they tag Jones right away without hesitation.  But looking at last season as reality and not a mirage they couldn't just let one of those guys walk so at that point it does make sense for them to try and lock up Jones who didn't look THAT bad last year in the hopes he continues to improve rather than locking up Barkley forever and watching him fall apart.  But as was stated, the 2 year out indicates pretty clearly nobody was 100% sold on him and good on them for that.

AYM

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 06, 2023, 01:43:55 PMTagging him, with the benefit of hindsight, might have been the better option. But that would have for sure meant saying goodbye to Barkley, which I know many here have a huge problem with.

In retrospect, given the RB market, I think Barkley would've found his best offer right back here in NY.

jgrangers2

Could have just gone with someone like Baker Mayfield as a bridge guy. Would have cost a lot less money.

nicky1000

The big mistake, which Schoen acknowledged was not picking up 5th year option.....

Giant Obsession

An even bigger mistake was not having the cajones to tell Jones we ain't giving you anything close to what you want.  Go make a deal with someone and we'll take the compensatory draft picks.

Still too much Mara interference for good guy types in this organization.  Which shows you they are making astronomical amounts of money and this is still his toy, not a real business.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

kingm56

At the end of the day, the DJ deal may benefit the Giants long-term; in short, his terrible play and subsequent injury have virtually guaranteed our heroes will win less than 5 games.  A potential 4-13 record will position them to draft a really good QB prospect; this paradigm may not exist if they signed Carr or Mayfield. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on November 07, 2023, 08:02:21 AMAt the end of the day, the DJ deal may benefit the Giants long-term; in short, his terrible play and subsequent injury have virtually guaranteed our heroes will win less than 5 games.  A potential 4-13 record will position them to draft a really good QB prospect; this paradigm may not exist if they signed Carr or Mayfield. 

Very true, although they could have achieved the same effect by just tagging him, and then they'd be scot-free with him after this year.

Again, I'm not saying this was an easy call at the time given all circumstances involved, but solely with the benefit of hindsight that might have been the best outcome all things considered.

kingm56

That's fair, Jeff; however, they clearly prioritized resigning Barkley, which was impossible without signing DJ.  Regardless, it's a very fair observation.

I feel bad for Giants Management; the year they had two top 10 picks, there was no QB to draft.  A year later, DJ plays well enough to sway public and owner(?) perceptions, coupled in a year with no viable QB options, meant they were bringing him back at a terrible price.  Its not their fault 2021 draft was the worst QB talent pool in multiple decades. 

TDToomer

Quote from: nicky1000 on November 06, 2023, 05:56:51 PMThe big mistake, which Schoen acknowledged was not picking up 5th year option.....

Nailed. It would have been panned and ridiculed here and other forums but assuming he was never extended the Giants would have their hands clean this offseason to do whatever they want at the QB position. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

madbadger

Quote from: nicky1000 on November 06, 2023, 05:56:51 PMThe big mistake, which Schoen acknowledged was not picking up 5th year option.....

He could have nullified that mistake to some degree by franchising him this year. IIRC the tag for quarterbacks this year was in the low $20 million area. If he wasn't worth picking up his fifth year option why was he worth a four year extension after lighting the league up with 15 passing touchdowns?

RelaxTension

Quote from: madbadger on November 07, 2023, 10:41:01 AMHe could have nullified that mistake to some degree by franchising him this year. IIRC the tag for quarterbacks this year was in the low $20 million area. If he wasn't worth picking up his fifth year option why was he worth a four year extension after lighting the league up with 15 passing touchdowns?
The franchise tag for QBs was 32,416,000 and transitional tag $29,504,000
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..