News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Top rookie receivers

Started by MightyGiants, December 19, 2023, 12:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Jalin Hyatt  19 rec  343 yards
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

umassgrad

Unlucky for Hyatt being on the Giants. Swap him with any of those other guys and he is #1 on the chart.

Philosophers

Hyatt clearly has the hands, speed and ability to get open.  How they dont go into every week saying, "he's getting 10 targets.  Now how?"

T200

Quote from: Philosophers on December 19, 2023, 01:30:18 PMHyatt clearly has the hands, speed and ability to get open.  How they dont go into every week saying, "he's getting 10 targets.  Now how?"
Maybe the WR coach can figure it out because the OC sure as hell ain't.  :doh:
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

When your starting QB isn't very good to begin with, AND he gets hurt, AND your backup gets hurt, AND the line sucks, it's not easy to make a huge impact in year one.

MightyGiants

For what it's worth, Hyatt lasted to round 3.  I don't think the other 31 teams just "forgot" to draft him sooner. 

Hyatt's route running is not really great.  Hyatt can also be muscled off of routes.

I tend to think Hyatt is a good part of the reason that he isn't a bigger part of the team's game plans. 

I can't imagine coaches so desperate for a spark would simply not get Hyatt involved if he was as good as many fans believe him to be.  I think Hyatt needs more work.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 19, 2023, 02:17:03 PMFor what it's worth, Hyatt lasted to round 3.  I don't think the other 31 teams just "forgot" to draft him sooner. 

Fair and true point, but as we both know, there are plenty of very good to elite receivers who were drafted in round three or later.

It's a decently long list as far as the present day and very recent past goes. It's not just a few stragglers.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 19, 2023, 03:28:55 PMFair and true point, but as we both know, there are plenty of very good to elite receivers who were drafted in round three or later.

It's a decently long list as far as the present day and very recent past goes. It's not just a few stragglers.

True, but how many of the finds put up top numbers (at least his final year) and attended an SEC school?  Sort of hard to miss a prospect like that.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 19, 2023, 03:32:57 PMTrue, but how many of the finds put up top numbers (at least his final year) and attended an SEC school?  Sort of hard to miss a prospect like that.

Fair point. I agree that makes it harder to be missed.

Terry McLaurin is a good example of a receiver who played for a school that is just as heavily scouted as any SEC school (OSU) and ended up going in the third round. The scouts had it wrong. They thought that out of the two big OSU receivers that year, Parris Campbell was the one who was going to be the big star, not McLaurin.

Oops.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 19, 2023, 03:45:09 PMFair point. I agree that makes it harder to be missed.

Terry McLaurin is a good example of a receiver who played for a school that is just as heavily scouted as any SEC school (OSU) and ended up going in the third round. The scouts had it wrong. They thought that out of the two big OSU receivers that year, Parris Campbell was the one who was going to be the big star, not McLaurin.

Oops.

It's interesting going back and reading the reports for players like this.  In the case of McLaurin, it seems they were blinded by the lack of big production numbers

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terry-mclaurin/32004d43-4c27-8328-8097-b130ba0e8060
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 19, 2023, 03:50:22 PMIt's interesting going back and reading the reports for players like this.  In the case of McLaurin, it seems they were blinded by the lack of big production numbers

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terry-mclaurin/32004d43-4c27-8328-8097-b130ba0e8060
Rich: Tough as nails, catches everything, and has speed - it was just a poor scouting job by the league, IMO. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Scouts talk to each other all the time and fall prey to groupthink IMHO. 

uconnjack8

Aside from Puka, pretty much the top WRs and TEs drafted. 

Philosophers

Certain routes require more precision than others.  I have to think Hyatt can run those routes until his precision improves on others.  Get him the damn ball.

Ed Vette

The New York Football Giants, come here and we'll ruin your career!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin