News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Barkley and plays at key moments in games

Started by MightyGiants, January 02, 2024, 09:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Is it me, or does Barkley seem to come up short in critical situations?   I know it's a bit of a simplification, but great players come up big in big situations.  Yet, I seem to remember more failed plays in key moments with Barkley than I remember successful ones.

Do I remember things correctly?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Rich, I don't know if it's business decisions like Adoree pulled this year. But it's possible.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

President Rick

altho IMO the muffed 2 point try was on TT's indecision and bad toss to SB. 
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

Quote from: President Rick on January 02, 2024, 09:30:59 AMaltho IMO the muffed 2 point try was on TT's indecision and bad toss to SB. 

I tend to agree about the 2 pointer that was on TT.  On the other hand, there were some bad drops, which, had Barkley been caught, would have won the game.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 02, 2024, 09:37:01 AMI tend to agree about the 2 pointer that was on TT.  On the other hand, there were some bad drops, which, had Barkley been caught, would have won the game.
Are you posting the PFF grades?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 02, 2024, 09:39:14 AMAre you posting the PFF grades?

oops!  I forgot to do that yesterday (in my defense, I have been a bit under the weather the last few days).

I just posted.  As for Barkley, he got a 57.2 with a 33.4 passing 84.9 pass blocking, and a 64.2 running
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

It's a mixed bag. In one of the last series, he got stopped on a 3rd-and-short. Daboll went for it and Barkley got 4 yards to extend the drive.

He has definitely missed some opportunities to put the team on his back in critical situations.

One of my pet peeves with Saquon is that he rarely puts the ball in his outside arm to free up his inside to stiff arm or otherwise push off a defender. I don't know why no coach has drilled this into his head.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

uconnjack8

Barkley had some bad drops Sunday, but has come up big in big spots way more often than not.

There was a Saints game a few years ago that he carried the team to victory, a 2-point conversion he made, carrying Dalvin Tomlinson into the endzone to name a few....

TDToomer

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 02, 2024, 09:30:23 AMRich, I don't know if it's business decisions like Adoree pulled this year. But it's possible.

What exactly does this mean?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Fletch

Barkley is basically not a good receiving running back. He never was. despite this Daboll and Kafka insist on him trying to get in open space with a safe little screen pass and hope Barkley jukes somebody. It never works but, rather than grow a pair and look to a more vertical threat will Hyatt Waller and Robinson and Slayton.

BluesCruz

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 02, 2024, 09:37:01 AMI tend to agree about the 2 pointer that was on TT.  On the other hand, there were some bad drops, which, had Barkley been caught, would have won the game.

Lets put it this way
in big game situations he drops more passes than he catches
he runs into his blockers rather than spin out of it

True

On the TT pass for 2 points Barkley had his back to the QB
either he wasnt expecting the pass or was situationally unaware
likely the later.  I was looking for a PAT myself- why 2?

he does not look the football into his hands like a golfer who takes his eye off the ball looking already to see where it goes

On the final play in hindsight I would have had the scottish hammer kick that FG.  His last FG try was long and true, no drift.  This Crosby guy is horrific

to sum it up it all went well
we proved we can swim with the Sharks and gained draft position

Barkleys big miss was that pass over the middle...again looking before catching and securing

almost identical to Shepards miss on the same play (likely last of his career)

the game certainly had its highlights and lowlights
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Fletch on January 02, 2024, 10:21:10 AMBarkley is basically not a good receiving running back. He never was. despite this Daboll and Kafka insist on him trying to get in open space with a safe little screen pass and hope Barkley jukes somebody. It never works but, rather than grow a pair and look to a more vertical threat will Hyatt Waller and Robinson and Slayton.

And he is Dave Kingman as a runner.  Some home runs, but far too many strikeouts.

But to give the man his due, he is an excellent pass blocker.  And thank goodness he is or we might be on out 6th QB for the season.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

jimc

Quote from: President Rick on January 02, 2024, 09:30:59 AMaltho IMO the muffed 2 point try was on TT's indecision and bad toss to SB. 

That play was among the worst I ever saw.  The play design was good...the execution was the worst
- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone

umassgrad

Don't forget the very strange play when he gets knocked to the ground and fumbles the ball against Green Bay. Fumbles happen but I've never seen a play like that.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 02, 2024, 09:25:35 AMIs it me, or does Barkley seem to come up short in critical situations? 
It's you.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!