News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A QB Formula That Works in the NFL, Giants Must Follow Suit

Started by brownelvis54, January 19, 2024, 06:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

Quote from: Painter on January 20, 2024, 03:41:54 PMPersonally, I don't see the Giants taking a QB anywhere in this Draft. Schoen's focus, I believe, will be to go all out with Jones this year so as to decide unequivocally whether they should move on next year when the caponomics will be far less onerous. As for QB2, it could be DeVito, or some FA for which I would not exclude TT.

Clearly, I don't see the Giants looking to move up, but I can see them swapping back a couple or three slots if it gets them from the current 4 to 5 picks the first 2 days. Top priorities: WR/OL and/or OL/WR/DB/DT. Upgrading the talent on Offense has to be given priority whether to enhance DJ's chance of success this year or that of whomever succeeds him next year.

Cheers!

That might all be true, but it's as risky a move as taking a QB or trading up to get one. We all know Jones is working hard to rehab, but barring an Aaron Rodgers miracle, I don't see him getting on the field before October. Putting him out there or rushing him back, and he's no Aaron Rodgers, just makes him more susceptible to another injury. If the Giants have the opportunity to get a top QB this coming draft they must. Kicking the can another year only puts the chances of survival for the head coach much less likely. I do agree if they don't get a QB with that pick or trade for a higher pick, they should trade it for more picks this year and next.

spiderblue43

I can't see a Qb trade up or one falling in their lap this year, so adding a potential #1 Wr or OT at 6 makes sense-critical needs.

Jones' health makes a vet capable backup a major priority  too (Tyrod or TBD). With the first 4 picks however..you can address a number of areas other than qb .

With so many holes, it's not unthinkable to defer on Qb in the draft  early. After last year, I have moved on from DJ and want a new direction.Both his health and instincts are not nearly  good enough.

But where the Giants sit right now, maybe the best move is to improve their horrendous OL (again) or find a game-breaker Wr.That is doable.

Jclayton92

The problem is that there are no game breaking Qbs in the pipeline. We've been waiting 2 years for this 1 class. Next years crop of Qbs are not it unless one magically appears like Burrow did but the likelihood that happens is slim.

Philosophers

My gut keeps telling me that unless a QB falls, they will not trade up and may instead try to trade back to get picks and take a next tier QB from that group in the hope of developing him into a star.

Trade back from say 6 to 15 and pick up some picks this year to get other players they like and still get a QB.

I doubt they wait til the 2nd round to get a QB.

Painter

Quote from: Philosophers on January 21, 2024, 10:37:20 AMMy gut keeps telling me that unless a QB falls, they will not trade up and may instead try to trade back to get picks and take a next tier QB from that group in the hope of developing him into a star.

Trade back from say 6 to 15 and pick up some picks this year to get other players they like and still get a QB.

I doubt they wait til the 2nd round to get a QB.

While I agree that they will not trade up for a QB, I wouldn't expect to see them trade back from 6 to do so. I can see them moving back a couple or three places to pick up another 3rd Rounder as long as they can still get the WR or OT likely to be their main target.

What I can imagine, however, is the possibility of them swapping one of their two 2nd Round picks (36 and 47) to move back into the late 1st Round for a QB. Still, the only reason I see them doing that is if they think- why not? - the Ravens got MVP candidate Lamar Jackson with their 32nd pick in 2018.   <:-P

Truly, I 'll be surprised if they use any of their 1st 3 picks for a QB

Cheers!

katkavage

Quote from: Painter on January 21, 2024, 02:54:23 PMWhile I agree that they will not trade up for a QB, I wouldn't expect to see them trade back from 6 to do so. I can see them moving back a couple or three places to pick up another 3rd Rounder as long as they can still get the WR or OT likely to be their main target.

What I can imagine, however, is the possibility of them swapping one of their two 2nd Round picks (36 and 47) to move back into the late 1st Round for a QB. Still, the only reason I see them doing that is if they think- why not? - the Ravens got MVP candidate Lamar Jackson with their 32nd pick in 2018.   <:-P

Truly, I 'll be surprised if they use any of their 1st 3 picks for a QB

Cheers!
Who is the opening day QB?

Fletch

Why are the Bears picking a new QB? They are calling it quits on Fields already?