News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Thibodeaux says Barkley should have been paid before Jones

Started by shadowspinner0, January 25, 2024, 04:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

Another way overrated draft BUST who after 2 seasons of very spotty (translation "I put out when I feel like it") efforts has promoted himseld to Director of Football Operations AND General Manager.

Jeez, does our scouting dept do anything of a positive nature. Watching this kid on his TV games you could tell when he came to play and when he took games (not plays...games) off.  So why should it be any different when he is getting paid.

Get rid of him before the rest of the league wises up.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 26, 2024, 01:59:44 PMEd: If you didn't read everything, I made the argument somewhere above that people misinterpreted his statement. I still DO agree with your "lanes" argument, but my point still holds true.  IMO, he was not throwing Jones under the bus by showing support for a player he believes deserved higher priority than Jones. He said nothing against (or about) Jones. Bob
Bob, I read somewhere a comment that disparaged Jones but it may have been an editorial insert. He did say that he still believes in Jones but as Rich said, it implies that the QB and leader of the team wasn't the first priority. Btw, it had to do with market values and the ability to tag Barkley but not Jones. He certainly threw his GM under the bus.

I'm more concerned about what he will do or say in the future that would have implications that effect the locker room.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on January 26, 2024, 01:59:44 PMEd: If you didn't read everything, I made the argument somewhere above that people misinterpreted his statement. I still DO agree with your "lanes" argument, but my point still holds true.  IMO, he was not throwing Jones under the bus by showing support for a player he believes deserved higher priority than Jones. He said nothing against (or about) Jones. Bob
I share that same view, Bob. KT's comment wasn't a knock on Jones, nor was it meant to be.

However, I do agree that was business Kayvon had no cause to stick his nose into. It basically says "I'm nosey and ignorant and just want to say something because I can."

The 'ignorant' part is that Barkley was made multiple offers BEFORE Jones got his deal and Barkley turned them down. Kayvon failed to mention that part.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

andrew_nyGiants

"This is the life we've chosen"
-Hyman Roth

We live in the social media world, keeping that in context, this is much ado about nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

shadowspinner0

Whether you think it was smart for Thibs to air this out publicly is one thing. However you are naïve if you think he's the only one in that clubhouse with that opinion. 

T200

Quote from: shadowspinner0 on January 26, 2024, 05:33:21 PMWhether you think it was smart for Thibs to air this out publicly is one thing. However you are naïve if you think he's the only one in that clubhouse with that opinion. 
I said it in my post above: Saquon was presented with multiple offers before Jones. Saquon rejected every offer.

QuoteFirst, any notion of Giants general manager Joe Schoen prioritizing Jones over Barkly is false, and for proof of that, consider that Schoen, during the 2022 bye week, initiated discussions with Barkley's representation with the hopes of greasing the skids for a long-term deal.

Meanwhile, Jones, when asked, confirmed to reporters that the team had not contacted his representatives about a new deal. Make of that what you will, but one possible interpretation could be that the team was more certain about Barkley for the long term than Jones. Another possibility is that the Giants were simply trying to get one key negotiation out of the way so that it didn't have to decide how to apply the franchise tag if it became necessary to use it.

Barkley, who was consistent in his message that he wanted to be a Giant for life and didn't want to re-set the market at his position, saw his contract talks go nowhere during the bye, at which point they were tabled until after the season.

The Giants then tried again at least two more times, as was reported, to get a deal done with Barkley, and both times, the offers were rejected. While each deal seemed to have a reported APY within $2-$3 million of Christian McCaffrey's $16 million APY, the guaranteed money was always the sticking point.

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/big-blue-plus/kayvon-thibodeaux-raises-daniel-jones-saquon-barkley-contract-debate
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Blue Since ‘62

Thibs may want to STFU and focus on improving his game.

Trench

He's lucky Neal is a bust otherwise he would garner a lot more scrutiny than he already gets.

Next year is either a breakout year for him or he becomes more of the  Ximines type

DaveBrown74

I know I'm in the minority but for a second year player who only turned 23 a month ago, I don't think Thibodeaux had that bad of a year personally.

Obviously there is considerable room for improvement and I'm not saying otherwise, but when I compare to what he was as a rookie, I see progress. I also saw progress during his rookie season, as he was much better late in the year than the beginning.

If he continues on his trajectory I think he'll be a household name among edge guys next year.

umassgrad

I've shared articles where KT scores very low in all edge categories and when I watch him play he just seems like an average player. Currently he has no pass-rushing techniques such as the bull rush, swim move, and spin move. He also lacks in the ability to change direction quickly, accelerate off the snap, and bend around the edge.
His sacks usually occur against poor teams like the Jets or he benefits from another rusher flushing the QB to his direction. He takes plays off and is often neutralized on most plays by a single blocker. I'd like to say he can improve, maybe he will be more motivated when his contract is up?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: umassgrad on January 28, 2024, 08:40:12 AMI've shared articles where KT scores very low in all edge categories and when I watch him play he just seems like an average player. Currently he has no pass-rushing techniques such as the bull rush, swim move, and spin move. He also lacks in the ability to change direction quickly, accelerate off the snap, and bend around the edge.
His sacks usually occur against poor teams like the Jets or he benefits from another rusher flushing the QB to his direction. He takes plays off and is often neutralized on most plays by a single blocker. I'd like to say he can improve, maybe he will be more motivated when his contract is up?

I'm not saying any of the above is untrue. If one had LT type expectations for this guy then yes you should be disappointed, but you should be also asking yourself if those expectations were reasonable.

Thibodeaux had more sacks than Joey Bosey and 50 combined tackles versus Bosa's 53. Obviously I am not saying he is comparable to Bosa at this point. But the idea that he was some stiff out there who contributed nothing is not one that I agree with personally. I think he's a developing young player who just turned 23 and has a lot of room for improvement but has been on an upward trajectory of improvement since entering the league.

uconnjack8

Is this now a thread on his performance rather than his mouth?

What did the scouting report say about him being able to bend? 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: uconnjack8 on January 28, 2024, 08:47:58 AMIs this now a thread on his performance rather than his mouth?

What did the scouting report say about him being able to bend? 

It's a thread about Thibodeaux. The dialogue morphed a little from the precise subject of the OP over the 4 pages, I guess. It happens.

KT was a opinionated in some podcast in the offseason, and it rubbed people the wrong way. That's the NFL in the social media world for you. It's a pretty common occurrence and not all that interesting or big of a deal, IMO. He's a Gen-Z guy, and this is how that generation acts. Outside of maybe a private talking to, it will be of no consequence to him.