News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

John Michael Schmitz

Started by Brooklyn Dave, April 11, 2024, 03:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

In last years draft , Schmitz and Joe Tippman from Wisconsin were considered the two top centers in the draft and many pundits lauded them as future all pros.

In evaluating Schmitz' performance last year , he was not given a very good one.

I am not an offensive line judge , far from it , but can someone whose knowledge of offensive lineman and their performance is far, far greater than mine please tell me what were Schmitz' shortcomings, what does he have to improve in, is he still in the conversation of a possible All Pro and our center for years to come and might be considered a poor draft choice, ( too early ?) ? . Centers seem to have lengthy careers in the NFL.

kingm56

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on April 11, 2024, 03:23:29 AMIn last years draft , Schmitz and Joe Tippman from Wisconsin were considered the two top centers in the draft and many pundits lauded them as future all pros.

In evaluating Schmitz' performance last year , he was not given a very good one.

I am not an offensive line judge , far from it , but can someone whose knowledge of offensive lineman and their performance is far, far greater than mine please tell me what were Schmitz' shortcomings, what does he have to improve in, is he still in the conversation of a possible All Pro and our center for years to come and might be considered a poor draft choice, ( too early ?) ? . Centers seem to have lengthy careers in the NFL.

JMS first year struggles were completely predicable; in short, he needed a full year of strength training/growth to handle the massive DTs that populate the NFC East. 

londonblue

He also had a revolving cast either side of him and injury issues. We'd hope to see a significant step forward year two but unless and until it happens we just don't know.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Gman329

I dunno.....I hope we're not whistling past the graveyard with this guy.  His poor first year went under the radar because all our attention was focused on how bad our RT was.  Just as we assumed (hoped) Neal would make a year 2 jump, we're in the same position with Schmitz.  I'm very worried he's not what we hoped for and even more worried that due to his high draft pedigree, we'll stick with him longer than we should. 

Philosophers

I don't know.  Minnesota has a top notch weight training program.  He clearly was not strong enough.  Does he get more time in the NFL to weight train than in college?

He is a concern from my standpoint.

Ed Vette

Let's not focus on all the negatives. He did play well on many snaps too. It's an adjustment and a learning process. I wouldn't label him a Will Hernandez just yet, who btw went on to have success elsewhere.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

The book on JMS, when he was drafted, stated that he was an older prospect who was a high-floor/lower-ceiling type.   His play last season was disappointing.  I agree with @londonblue. What sort of player he ultimately becomes is to be determined.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

The offensive line has to work as an integrated team. They have to be coached to execute blocking schemes which enable offensive plays to yield their greatest potential.

Having said that, knowing the issues between the head coach and the offensive coordinator, how well would you think Kafka and Johnson's planning of the offensive line blocking schemes into the offensive game plan went? We witnessed it first-hand in the water-logged 0-40 whooping Dallas put on them. Did our new center even have a hope or a prayer in that game? Did any of them on the line, for that matter? Then add the injuries and Schmitz is playing with new lineman on either side of him. How can anyone judge a rookie in that cataclysmic environment and dare to suggest they are concerned about him, apart from his general welfare.

Have most of us here forgotten that, going into last season, many were touting this young man as a mature, responsible leader who would, one day, be wearing a captain's C on his uniform? What's changed about him that is so concerning?

If I were JMS, I'm counting my blessings I survived that experience, can turn the page and look forward to a new coach in Bricillo, and new and experienced linemen, who will help me get back on my development track and allow me to show the Giants, and their fans, the skills I have which made them want to draft me in the first place.

I'm not the least bit concerned. Quite the contrary, I'm excited for the young man, as well as the tackles that they have a professional coaching them now with a track record for development and success.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 11, 2024, 08:43:01 AMLet's not focus on all the negatives. He did play well on many snaps too. It's an adjustment and a learning process. I wouldn't label him a Will Hernandez just yet, who btw went on to have success elsewhere.

Very true, Ed. Living in Cardinal country, Hernandez had a near Pro Bowl season. He is a southwestern kid and probably didn't adapt well to the northeast. He loves it here in Arizona and he's close to his family in New Mexico. It could have been something as simple as that, sad as it may seem.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Brooklyn Dave

Quote from: kartanoman on April 11, 2024, 08:50:42 AMThe offensive line has to work as an integrated team. They have to be coached to execute blocking schemes which enable offensive plays to yield their greatest potential.

Having said that, knowing the issues between the head coach and the offensive coordinator, how well would you think Kafka and Johnson's planning of the offensive line blocking schemes into the offensive game plan went? We witnessed it first-hand in the water-logged 0-40 whooping Dallas put on them. Did our new center even have a hope or a prayer in that game? Did any of them on the line, for that matter? Then add the injuries and Schmitz is playing with new lineman on either side of him. How can anyone judge a rookie in that cataclysmic environment and dare to suggest they are concerned about him, apart from his general welfare.

Have most of us here forgotten that, going into last season, many were touting this young man as a mature, responsible leader who would, one day, be wearing a captain's C on his uniform? What's changed about him that is so concerning?

If I were JMS, I'm counting my blessings I survived that experience, can turn the page and look forward to a new coach in Bricillo, and new and experienced linemen, who will help me get back on my development track and allow me to show the Giants, and their fans, the skills I have which made them want to draft me in the first place.

I'm not the least bit concerned. Quite the contrary, I'm excited for the young man, as well as the tackles that they have a professional coaching them now with a track record for development and success.

Peace!

Thanks

Bob In PA

Quote from: kartanoman on April 11, 2024, 08:50:42 AMThe offensive line has to work as an integrated team.
kart-man: Please re-post this sentence about once per week until the season starts. lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Sem

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 11, 2024, 09:32:22 AMkart-man: Please re-post this sentence about once per week until the season starts. lol

And then twice a week during the season.  ;)

kartanoman

Quote from: Sem on April 11, 2024, 10:35:14 AMAnd then twice a week during the season.  ;)

It's bad enough I have to preach it to engineers integrating components and subsystems into a system. That's another story I'll share in depth when I retire in a decade and change.

Peace!

MightyGiants

The end result requires teamwork, but I think there is enough individual performance by linemen than they can be evaluated individually
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: kartanoman on April 11, 2024, 11:13:20 AMIt's bad enough I have to preach it to engineers integrating components and subsystems into a system. That's another story I'll share in depth when I retire in a decade and change.
k-man: Does your final sentence mean you're going to change after you retire in ten years -or- you're going to retire in slightly over ten years?  =)) Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!