News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The starting 5 on the offensive line

Started by brownelvis54, May 02, 2024, 07:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

As of now this is the way I see it. Of course training camp can change this line up

LT Andrew Thomas

LG  Jon Runyon

C  John Michael Schmitz

RG Jermaine Eluemunor

RT Evan Neal
The KING is in the building

sxdxca38

Quote from: brownelvis54 on May 02, 2024, 07:33:15 PMAs of now this is the way I see it. Of course training camp can change this line up

LT Andrew Thomas

LG  Jon Runyon

C  John Michael Schmitz

RG Jermaine Eluemunor

RT Evan Neal

I agree with that, and if Neal begins to struggle, I think you can switch Eluemunor and Neals positions on the line.

brownelvis54

Quote from: sxdxca38 on May 02, 2024, 07:46:00 PMI agree with that, and if Neal begins to struggle, I think you can switch Eluemunor and Neals positions on the line.

Agreed, but I would move Neal to LG. Seems like he played better on the left side in college, so being on the left side next to a Pro bowl Left Tackle could be the solution?
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

If it were my decision, my leash for neal would be not much more than one game. The guy has had two years, and he's been awful the whole way. Enough. If he's not good at right tackle right away, he should be out. Elumenor did a totally solid job at that position on a bad team with a bad QB for our current new O line coach.

Enough with the kid gloves on Neal. The guy sucks, and he was a dick to the fans. One shot and he's out. He should probably already be out.

sxdxca38

Quote from: brownelvis54 on May 02, 2024, 07:49:12 PMAgreed, but I would move Neal to LG. Seems like he played better on the left side in college, so being on the left side next to a Pro bowl Left Tackle could be the solution?

Good point, yeah I'd have no problem moving him to LG instead of RG, and then Runyan can kick inside on the other RG position.

sxdxca38

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 02, 2024, 08:29:59 PMIf it were my decision, my leash for neal would be not much more than one game. The guy has had two years, and he's been awful the whole way. Enough. If he's not good at right tackle right away, he should be out. Elumenor did a totally solid job at that position on a bad team with a bad QB for our current new O line coach.

Enough with the kid gloves on Neal. The guy sucks, and he was a dick to the fans. One shot and he's out. He should probably already be out.

Understandable, I think I would give him two games just to make sure, and if he continues to struggle kick him inside, and definitely let Eluemunor start at RT.

Philosophers

I'd make sure Neal had to play against someone decent. 

DaveBrown74

It's easy to want to give Neal extra rope in May. I'm telling you right now, if he starts at RT in week one and he's a total disaster like he has been to this point, nobody in this forum or in this fanbase is going to want him there in week two when we have a totally respectable RT in Eleumenor.

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: sxdxca38 on May 02, 2024, 07:46:00 PMI agree with that, and if Neal begins to struggle, I think you can switch Eluemunor and Neals positions on the line.

This does seem to be the most likely scenario.

4 Aces

Like the offense as a whole, I'm willing to give him a mulligan for last year.

The entire year, from the start of camp, was a calamity.

Sometimes a team just has a "bad year". What can you say when, in less than 20 days, you lose Darren Waller, Andrew Thomas and Saquon Barkley? I realize there's not a lot of patiences for that given the larger picture/10+ years of futility.

As for Neal - he got a concussion that lasted a while (I was disappointed with missed practices vs. Hutchinson), then more injuries. If you watch some of the film breakdowns by knowledgable OL people (like Skinner on Talkin Giants) - it appears he started settling down and was showing improvement over year 1. (Trending in the right direction.)

I think there's reasons to be optimistic and pessimistic, and I agree with the above comment if he struggles early again, you've got to pull the plug. The goal isn't Evan Neal at RT, the goal is to win football games.

The other performance driver is Schmitz. Quite frankly, it's tough not to be underwhelmed by his play last year considering the hype. He does things well, but looked like a liability in other areas and his play declined as the year went. For me, it was shades of Weston Richburg just never quite making it. Big year for him, to prove he can get this thing turned around.

Philosophers

JMS can't have an Evan Neal tyoe secind year regression from what was already substandard.

MightyGiants

In case anyone is interested, here are all the PFF grades (for 2023) of the Giants offensive linemen

36th of 36
John Michael Schmitz Jr.
C
# 61

Aaron Stinnie
G
# 64

Austin Schlottmann
C
# 65

Jon Runyan
G
# 76

Marcus McKethan
G
# 60

Jimmy Morrissey
G
# 67

Yodny Cajuste
T
# 70

Jalen Mayfield
T
# 62

Joshua Miles
T
# 77

Matt Nelson
T
# 68

Jermaine Eluemunor
T
# 72

Joshua Ezeudu
T
# 75

Evan Neal
T
# 73

Andrew Thomas
T
# 78
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Uncle Mickey

Quote from: 4 Aces on May 03, 2024, 12:31:23 PMLike the offense as a whole, I'm willing to give him a mulligan for last year.

The entire year, from the start of camp, was a calamity.

Sometimes a team just has a "bad year". What can you say when, in less than 20 days, you lose Darren Waller, Andrew Thomas and Saquon Barkley? I realize there's not a lot of patiences for that given the larger picture/10+ years of futility.

As for Neal - he got a concussion that lasted a while (I was disappointed with missed practices vs. Hutchinson), then more injuries. If you watch some of the film breakdowns by knowledgable OL people (like Skinner on Talkin Giants) - it appears he started settling down and was showing improvement over year 1. (Trending in the right direction.)

I think there's reasons to be optimistic and pessimistic, and I agree with the above comment if he struggles early again, you've got to pull the plug. The goal isn't Evan Neal at RT, the goal is to win football games.

The other performance driver is Schmitz. Quite frankly, it's tough not to be underwhelmed by his play last year considering the hype. He does things well, but looked like a liability in other areas and his play declined as the year went. For me, it was shades of Weston Richburg just never quite making it. Big year for him, to prove he can get this thing turned around.

Not one young player developed under Booby.

I'm gonna wait to see what Brill-o- Pad does cleaning the techniques of this OL especially the young'ins'

I keep saying this but Brillo might have been the most important acquisition of the off-season. And I'm not a jokin'  :scared:

kartanoman

Quote from: Uncle Mickey on May 03, 2024, 01:38:00 PMI keep saying this but Brillo might have been the most important acquisition of the off-season. And I'm not a jokin'  :scared:

We know you're not a jokin' 'cause neither are we!  Redfaced

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)