News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Looking beyond Kayvon Thibodeaux's 5.5 sacks

Started by MightyGiants, October 25, 2023, 10:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Overall Thibodeaux has been disappointing relative to expectations, which were very high. I don't see how there is much debate against that point. Having said that, his case is different from Neal's. Neal has been awful and a total liability. Thibs has been more mediocre, but unlike Neal he has at least shown some flashes here and there, and he seems to be slowly improving. So I remain uncertain about him overall despite being disappointed to this point.

Bob In PA

Quote from: zephirus on October 25, 2023, 05:22:07 PMLet me ask a question - is it at all possible that other teams think Thibodeaux is the Giants best edge-rushing threat and therefore game-plan specifically to neutralize him?  How often is he getting chipped by a RB?  How often is a tight end double-teaming him?

How many more pass-rushing attempts did he have on a per game basis last year?  The Giants got routinely blown out early in the year - usually when teams are ahead that much they're running the ball to eat clock.  If/when they decide to throw despite being up big, they're usually not putting themselves in a position to get sacked and do quick throws that minimize the risk. 

Lee:... not to mention Ojulari's seemingly endless and exasperating inability to stay healthy. It sure would help a younger guy like number 5 to have someone on the other side of the line about whom opponents must worry. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

If Number 5 didn't drop the pick-six, would we have any of this stuff during a relatively "slow" sports news week? 

Philosophers

Banks is reading the headlines and not looking deeper.  Thibs 1.5 sacks against lowly Commanders.  Adjust for that.

How does Thibs do against playoff caliber teams? 

TDToomer

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 26, 2023, 08:41:16 AMIf Number 5 didn't drop the pick-six, would we have any of this stuff during a relatively "slow" sports news week? 

Not a fan of other sports? MLB just has 2 wild Championship games that went to game 7s with the World Series starting tomorrow, The NBA tips season tips off this week and the NHL featured it's entire league for one night on Tuesday.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Gmo11

Banks is kinda right.  This is sort of weird.  It does remind me a bit of the OBJ situation too.  Where it doesn't much matter what he does on the field, some people just aren't going to like him and try to find reasons to justify it.  So he's not Michael Strahan, a first ballot HOF player, in year 2.  He's shown plenty to indicate that he's going to be a good to great player with a little development. 

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 26, 2023, 02:40:47 PMBanks is kinda right.  This is sort of weird.  It does remind me a bit of the OBJ situation too.  Where it doesn't much matter what he does on the field, some people just aren't going to like him and try to find reasons to justify it.  So he's not Michael Strahan, a first ballot HOF player, in year 2.  He's shown plenty to indicate that he's going to be a good to great player with a little development. 

Last year he didn't have many sacks, but a good PFF grade and was clearly affecting the game. People complained. This season, he's got a crummy PFF grade, disappears for portions of the game... but has picked up a good number of sacks and has been in position in coverage for takeaways (though hasn't converted). People are complaining.

I see a second-year player with talent who is putting up some numbers. Do I want more of the #5 overall pick? Of course. But am I going to kill the guy? No.

TDToomer

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 26, 2023, 02:40:47 PMBanks is kinda right.  This is sort of weird.  It does remind me a bit of the OBJ situation too.  Where it doesn't much matter what he does on the field, some people just aren't going to like him and try to find reasons to justify it.  So he's not Michael Strahan, a first ballot HOF player, in year 2.  He's shown plenty to indicate that he's going to be a good to great player with a little development. 

Ironically he is closer to Carl Banks, also a top 5 pick, who didn't explode until his 3rd season in 86. Banks split starts/playing time with Byron Hunt and Andy Headon and had 6 sacks his first 2 seasons. Banks went from 31 tackles to 113 from season 2 to 3!

No wonder Banks defends Thibs because he sees himself. 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

B1GBLUE

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 25, 2023, 02:13:50 PMI can't answer the first one, but...

run defense is terrible. he needs to spend less time staring at himself and more time in the gym.

Dgoodmantrublu

KT is playing very well. Wink asks him to do a lot of things. He absorbs lots of double teams. He has massively improved against the run. And he is finishing plays with high effort. The vitriol against this guy boggles my mind. I just don't get it. Wink has never had an edge with double digit sacks. Thibs is gonna be the guy to change that.

madbadger

According to Wink Martindale Thibs is the cog that drives this defense. Doesn't sound like he shares the same opinion of Thibs that many here do.

https://x.com/mattcitak/status/1717639786662445123?s=46&t=4x-JXwsXYehIZ1h3v6r-zQ

Bob In PA

Quote from: madbadger on October 26, 2023, 08:30:34 PMAccording to Wink Martindale Thibs is the cog that drives this defense. Doesn't sound like he shares the same opinion of Thibs that many here do.

https://x.com/mattcitak/status/1717639786662445123?s=46&t=4x-JXwsXYehIZ1h3v6r-zQ

madb: Do you think the fact that they mentioned Number 5 specifically had anything to do with all the griping in the sports media recently?  Just wondering.  Bob