News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Looking beyond Kayvon Thibodeaux's 5.5 sacks

Started by MightyGiants, October 25, 2023, 10:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on October 26, 2023, 03:10:09 PMLast year he didn't have many sacks, but a good PFF grade and was clearly affecting the game. People complained. This season, he's got a crummy PFF grade, disappears for portions of the game... but has picked up a good number of sacks and has been in position in coverage for takeaways (though hasn't converted). People are complaining.

I see a second-year player with talent who is putting up some numbers. Do I want more of the #5 overall pick? Of course. But am I going to kill the guy? No.

What intrigues me is the same posters who claim we need more than 60 games to evaluate our QB, are the same ones who labeled Thibs a bust, even though the latter has played 40 less games than the former; it's an interesting dichotomy.  Regardless, you captured how I feel, H, which is to say Thibs is a good football; however, like you, I'm hoping he becomes more. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on October 27, 2023, 07:48:13 AMWhat intrigues me is the same posters who claim we need more than 60 games to evaluate our QB, are the same ones who labeled Thibs a bust, even though the latter has played 40 less games than the former; it's an interesting dichotomy.  Regardless, you captured how I feel, H, which is to say Thibs is a good football; however, like you, I'm hoping he becomes more. 
He would have made a good second round pick.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 27, 2023, 07:07:22 AMmadb: Do you think the fact that they mentioned Number 5 specifically had anything to do with all the griping in the sports media recently?  Just wondering.  Bob

Wink doesn't strike me as being that type of coach. You get love from him when you earn it.

Bob In PA

Quote from: madbadger on October 27, 2023, 04:49:10 PMWink doesn't strike me as being that type of coach. You get love from him when you earn it.
MadB: I agree with that, so IMO we must assume it's a true statement, or at least Wink believes it's true.

If Wink's happy with his play, then I think it's safe to assume they are not emphasizing sacks.

I also agree with that. Pressure is more important than sacks, unless the specific game situation makes a sack more important, like, for example, if you need to move the opponent out of field goal range to avoid a game-winning field goal attempt.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

madbadger

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 28, 2023, 09:09:20 AMMadB: I agree with that, so IMO we must assume it's a true statement, or at least Wink believes it's true.

If Wink's happy with his play, then I think it's safe to assume they are not emphasizing sacks.

I also agree with that. Pressure is more important than sacks, unless the specific game situation makes a sack more important, like, for example, if you need to move the opponent out of field goal range to avoid a game-winning field goal attempt.

Bob

I think too many fans are either concerned with style points or expected him to be Von Miller or Micah Parsons and disappointed, and I think too many people are concerned with what he isn't instead of appreciating what he is.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: madbadger on October 28, 2023, 11:31:41 AMI think too many fans are either concerned with style points or expected him to be Von Miller or Micah Parsons and disappointed, and I think too many people are concerned with what he isn't instead of appreciating what he is.

The Giants definitely need stars. But they also desperately need above-average contributors (given how thin the roster was under Gentleman). At least Kayvon looks to be able to be the latter with the potential for more.

Bob In PA

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on October 28, 2023, 02:01:35 PMThe Giants definitely need stars. But they also desperately need above-average contributors (given how thin the roster was under Gentleman). At least Kayvon looks to be able to be the latter with the potential for more.

H-Town: I can't "like" this post enough. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

andrew_nyGiants

I wonder how those WFAN guys feel about the way they treated Carl now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

madbadger

He's having his best game of his young career today.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on October 29, 2023, 03:15:58 PMHe's having his best game of his young career today.

This or the game in Washington last year. He was off the charts in that game too.

Ed Vette

Quote from: madbadger on October 29, 2023, 03:15:58 PMHe's having his best game of his young career today.
For sure. He's a mudder.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

madbadger

EDjohnst1981

Ed Vette

I give him a 99 PFF grade so far. Don't drop the ball!
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Players sometimes do develop and learn from experience.