News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jones declared out for Sunday's game against the Jets

Started by MightyGiants, October 27, 2023, 11:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Dgoodmantrublu

McCarthy has played a bunch of xxxx teams with superior talent on his side. I am all in on Maye.

katkavage

I think if Taylor can somehow help beat the Jets, Jones continues to have neck issues. If Taylor loses and has a bad game, Jones neck will miraculously heal. This is the easy way to avoid controversy.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on October 27, 2023, 04:12:07 PMMcCarthy has played a bunch of xxxx teams with superior talent on his side. I am all in on Maye.
You do realize Drake Maye has played a cupcake schedule so far as well. Georgia tech, Minnesota, South Carolina, miami, App State who took them to two overtimes, and a 1 win Virginia team that beat them.

Now Michigan hasn't played the toughest opponents, but they have beaten the doors off every team they've played while Maye has played down to his competition all season.

madbadger

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 27, 2023, 01:04:19 PMDraft capital and Cave for Caleb?

Our chances of drafting Caleb approach zero. He's going to be a Bear, and even if they were willing to trade that pick I don't think Mara will have the stomach to pay what they're going to ask for.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on October 27, 2023, 04:55:19 PMOur chances of drafting Caleb approach zero. He's going to be a Bear, and even if they were willing to trade that pick I don't think Mara will have the stomach to pay what they're going to ask for.

I agree. Less than 3% and probably less than 1%.

I think Williams will be very good if not great. However, I think there will be 1-2 other QBs in this class who will also be legitimate franchise QBs who are multi-year pro bowlers if not better than that. This is unquestionably a legit class. And I think we're probably going to be picking in the top 10.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 27, 2023, 12:02:00 PMThe Football Doc on Jones and Thomas

Addressing Daniel Jones, Andrew Thomas
Daniel Jones (neck): The Giants quarterback is about to miss his third game since injuring his neck against the Dolphins.

"This is a hyperextension," Dr. Chao said. "... I think it's just a matter of symptoms, range of motion and strength. I think it's just a soreness, stiffness issue and when he feels good. And I don't think it's anything long term."

The Giants have been without left tackle Andrew Thomas since he injured his hamstring in the opener against the Buffalo Bills. Last week he reportedly suffered a setback.

Andrew Thomas (hamstring): "I would say this week is questionable and the following week would be a good target [for his return]," Dr. Chao said.

Dr. David Chao served as the team doctor for the San Diego Chargers for over 17 years and has amassed a wide following on social media with his insights and analysis. Now in private practice, work is featured on @SICscore on social media. Every week Dr. Chao will contribute to OutKick his analysis and insights on the most important NFL injury issues interesting to bettors and fantasy football fans.

https://www.outkick.com/kyler-murray-could-return-slim-to-no-chance-brock-purdy-plays-justin-fields-could-be-a-while-and-more/

All well and good but Chao could get the opener right. I suspect attention to detail is important, in his line of work/crowing.

Dgoodmantrublu

Michigan also has one of the most talented teams in all of college football. It is hard to evaluate him when he isn't challenged at all. I don't think he has near the talent of Maye. I think he's a 10-15. The third guy for me is Daniels from LSU.

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 27, 2023, 04:38:21 PMYou do realize Drake Maye has played a cupcake schedule so far as well. Georgia tech, Minnesota, South Carolina, miami, App State who took them to two overtimes, and a 1 win Virginia team that beat them.

Now Michigan hasn't played the toughest opponents, but they have beaten the doors off every team they've played while Maye has played down to his competition all season.

Jclayton92

JJ Mccarthy is statiscally having one of the best Qb runs ever in the FBS. Every other Top Qb has lost a game, even two besides him and Penix but these are the stats that transition to the next level.

2nd in cmpl% at 78.2
2nd in passing efficiency at 195.92
1st in % of 3rd down plays result in a 1st down at 73.1% the next closest is Maye with 52% and Williams with 50%
2nd in Yards per attempt at 10.6 yards

Not to mention that Mccarthy has been pulled halfway through the 3rd quarter in every single game he's played this year but one game and even that one he left midway through the 4th quarter.

Plus he's running an actual pro style offense of Harbaughs and thriving.

Yes Williams, Maye, even Daniels are great Qbs and will be drafted high but Mccarthy is lethal and if Michigan wins out he's winning the Heisman and then his stock balloons to that of Williams and Maye when it should likely already be there.

Dgoodmantrublu

I don't care about the Heisman. College stats are great. But I'll wait to judge until he has to elevate against teams that can match the talent he plays with. It's fine that we disagree. Plenty of time to dig deeper into all their film. I do know finding a real QB is priority one for me.

4 Aces

We now have no choice but to feel extremely weird about the DJ situation.

*First, the conflicting statements - Giants saying x-rays were negative, Jones saying they were "not negative".

*Then DJ talking through the Kay Adams show and the sideline reporter who somehow knew about the pain down his neck and shoulder.

*On Monday - beat reporter Chris Bisignano reported "Daniel Jones will be back Sunday". Who told him that, and why was he so comfortable reporting it, now that it turns out to be false?

*Now Daboll back-tracking on his earlier, more positive position.

------------------

This has always been an ugly situation, with lots of $$$ on the line. It would be naive to think there aren't a lot of very serious conversations going on, including the football side of things. Yes - the OL sucks. But all we heard all summer was how much DJ improved, and there's been no evidence of that.

I'd say there's still plenty of games left for DJ to turn the tides, but my gut says he's played his last game. I smell Andrew Luck 2. 

Ed Vette

Quote from: 4 Aces on October 27, 2023, 11:33:12 PMWe now have no choice but to feel extremely weird about the DJ situation.

*First, the conflicting statements - Giants saying x-rays were negative, Jones saying they were "not negative".

*Then DJ talking through the Kay Adams show and the sideline reporter who somehow knew about the pain down his neck and shoulder.

*On Monday - beat reporter Chris Bisignano reported "Daniel Jones will be back Sunday". Who told him that, and why was he so comfortable reporting it, now that it turns out to be false?

*Now Daboll back-tracking on his earlier, more positive position.

------------------

This has always been an ugly situation, with lots of $$$ on the line. It would be naive to think there aren't a lot of very serious conversations going on, including the football side of things. Yes - the OL sucks. But all we heard all summer was how much DJ improved, and there's been no evidence of that.

I'd say there's still plenty of games left for DJ to turn the tides, but my gut says he's played his last game. I smell Andrew Luck 2. 
I'm wondering if he had a setback.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on October 27, 2023, 11:45:44 AMIf we're getting beat at halftime I want to see Touchdown Tommy DeVito.

Andrew: If Giants miss a sensible opportunity to let DeVito play, it would IMO be a gave error... and stupid.

In the 'big picture' for this season, winning the Jets game originally was written off, but with Aaron Rodgers gone IMO it is now a "must-win" game (primarily because Giants lost to the Seahawks, a game which most of us had counted on winning in any scenario involving qualifying for the playoffs).

So a scenario where there's no doubt we're going to lose a "must-win" game (Jets) this late in the schedule means the season is over barring a miracle, and IMO failing to give DeVito a chance would be just plain stupid. 

If not for unusual circumstances last year, the 49-er's probably still would not know today that mister irrelevant Brock Purdy is (at least) a worthy NFL starting QB. 

There are many examples of "nobodies" getting a chance to play and surprising the league. At this point, we can at least dream of DeVito coming in and surprising the football world. I'm certain HE is dreaming about it!

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!