News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jones declared out for Sunday's game against the Jets

Started by MightyGiants, October 27, 2023, 11:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

I'm not going to create a thread for this because we have had enough Jones threads to this point, so I'll just ask my question here.

Does this latest Jones neck injury and the fact that he has now missed multiple games in four out of his five seasons in the NFL get you to a point where you now no longer view him as a viable long term option purely on that basis alone, regardless of what you think of his play on the field or his potential play in the future? Or do you think he has largely been unlucky and not well enough protected, and you're fine gambling on him (1) staying healthier in the future and (2) playing better in the future?

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 28, 2023, 09:35:21 AMAndrew: If Giants miss a sensible opportunity to let DeVito play, it would IMO be a gave error... and stupid.

In the 'big picture' for this season, winning the Jets game originally was written off, but with Aaron Rodgers gone IMO it is now a "must-win" game (primarily because Giants lost to the Seahawks, a game which most of us had counted on winning in any scenario involving qualifying for the playoffs).

So a scenario where there's no doubt we're going to lose a "must-win" game (Jets) this late in the schedule means the season is over barring a miracle, and IMO failing to give DeVito a chance would be just plain stupid. 

If not for unusual circumstances last year, the 49-er's probably still would not know today that mister irrelevant Brock Purdy is (at least) a worthy NFL starting QB. 

There are many examples of "nobodies" getting a chance to play and surprising the league. At this point, we can at least dream of DeVito coming in and surprising the football world. I'm certain HE is dreaming about it!

Bob
Right on Bob!

For me, I have little confidence in Taylor leading this team to the playoffs.

So if I'm spending $$$ I at least want some entertainment value this year. Seeing the local boy make good could help fill the void of another losing season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

B1GBLUE

B1GBLUE

Quote from: katkavage on October 27, 2023, 04:37:09 PMI think if Taylor can somehow help beat the Jets, Jones continues to have neck issues. If Taylor loses and has a bad game, Jones neck will miraculously heal. This is the easy way to avoid controversy.

yep! been saying the same thing. if you put jones in and he struggles EVERYONE will be calling for tyrod to start. if tyrod struggles, everyone is good with jones coming back. problem solved. against a very tough jets d, it would be a suicide mission for jones to go out there. the caveat is that if tyrod puts up 300 and 3 td's... who would want to go back to jones. but thats a better problem to have.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 28, 2023, 10:56:23 AMI'm not going to create a thread for this because we have had enough Jones threads to this point, so I'll just ask my question here.

Does this latest Jones neck injury and the fact that he has now missed multiple games in four out of his five seasons in the NFL get you to a point where you now no longer view him as a viable long term option purely on that basis alone, regardless of what you think of his play on the field or his potential play in the future? Or do you think he has largely been unlucky and not well enough protected, and you're fine gambling on him (1) staying healthier in the future and (2) playing better in the future?

So much is made of being dependable and clearly, for the vast majority of his career - he hasn't been dependable to play. Barkley get pulled through the coals for missing games. Jones gets a pass.

Colour me shocked.

TDToomer

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on October 27, 2023, 11:45:44 AMIf we're getting beat at halftime I want to see Touchdown Tommy DeVito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Oh this one didn't age well. He's not even Completed Pass Tommy DeVito.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

files58

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 28, 2023, 10:56:23 AMI'm not going to create a thread for this because we have had enough Jones threads to this point, so I'll just ask my question here.

He's done here. The injuries, especially twice in the neck plus the Daboll tossing the Surface told me that this coach doesn't see the progression, and wants his own QB. Without any proof I conjecture that Jones' contract is a compromise between Schoen/Daboll and Mara. Hence the two year out. Mara has been quoted saying how much we messed this kid up. Won't be the first time Mara's sense of loyalty has gotten in the way.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: files58 on October 29, 2023, 11:42:23 PMHe's done here. The injuries, especially twice in the neck plus the Daboll tossing the Surface told me that this coach doesn't see the progression, and wants his own QB. Without any proof I conjecture that Jones' contract is a compromise between Schoen/Daboll and Mara. Hence the two year out. Mara has been quoted saying how much we messed this kid up. Won't be the first time Mara's sense of loyalty has gotten in the way.

Do you think he won't be on the roster in 2024?

If so, how will they get him off the roster exactly?