News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Week 9 College Games

Started by DaveBrown74, October 28, 2023, 01:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Not exactly a marquee matchup-loaded week, but there are a few games of interest:

IU/PSU: IU is up 14-7 in Happy Valley with 7 minutes to go in the first half. PSU probably wins, but they are getting a game in the first half.

OU at KU: Kansas is winning at home in the first half. Again, I'm sure the Sooners will pull this out, but so far it's been interesting.

UGA at Fla: Georgia is a 14 point favorite. Could be a fun game though.

Oregon at Utah: Definitely one of the more intriguing matchups of the week. Oregon has been impressive this year, but Utah is tough at home.

Tennessee at Kentucky: Solid SEC matchup.

Again, not exactly an exceptional week, but if any of these early games turn into close games in the 4th quarters, that could be interesting.

Also worth keeping an eye on Caleb Williams to see if he "gets right" this week at UCal after a less than exceptional couple of weeks.

Jclayton92

14 teams with a realistic chance at the playoff. Oregon v Utah will mark one of those teams off.

Philosophers

I will be in the minority here but I think Keon Coleman may become a better NFL WR than Marvin Harrison and I really like Harrison.

Coleman is more explosive catching the ball more like OBJ whereas Harrison is such a smooth route runner with feathery hands more like a bigger Devonta Smith.

spiderblue43

I love Harrison's elite route running. In the right system..he's going to move the chains all day but Coleman does seem a huge chunk type. Big strider..size..strong..a lot to like.

Philosophers

Quote from: spiderblue43 on October 28, 2023, 02:51:56 PMI love Harrison's elite route running. In the right system..he's going to move the chains all day but Coleman does seem a huge chunk type. Big strider..size..strong..a lot to like.

My only concern with Coleman is that he makes more one handed tough catches than probably any other WR in college which is great, but is he trying to make highlight catches or is that he genuinely can't get that second hand into proper position?   I worry that sometimes when a player starts to do that, their fundamentals slide and as a habit they just go up more one handed.  He is pretty special in my opinion.  3 TDs against an LSU that year in/out produces great CBs tells you something.

Harrison has been anointed as the "chosen one" for a long time and for good reason.  I see him so much like Devonta Smith (not in body type) but in how well they do all the special things a WR position requires like precise route running.  If a skinny post requires a break at 15 yards, they don't make the break at 14.5 yards or 16 yards, but exactly at 15 yards.  It gives a QB a lot of confidence in knowing where the WR will be.  That was a hallmark of Jerry Rice.  Supposedly at practices, he was that exacting.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on October 28, 2023, 02:38:03 PMI will be in the minority here but I think Keon Coleman may become a better NFL WR than Marvin Harrison and I really like Harrison.

Coleman is more explosive catching the ball more like OBJ whereas Harrison is such a smooth route runner with feathery hands more like a bigger Devonta Smith.

Lotta depth at wr in this class I mean Malik Nabors, Tre Harris, Odunze, Franklin, Thomas ontop of Coleman, Harrison, and Egbuka. Going to be a ton of 2nd rd hits.

spiderblue43

Philosopher..

Yeah .Coleman does the one-handed catch too much (today again). Harrison seems a sure thing, KC not that level but big play potential for sure. :yes:

Jclayton92

So Oklahoma lost to Kansas and Oregon is smashing Utah, and Penn st squeaks by.

Please ole miss don't lay an egg vs vandy lol

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 28, 2023, 05:46:10 PMSo Oklahoma lost to Kansas and Oregon is smashing Utah, and Penn st squeaks by.

Rough loss for OU. Kills any hopes at a title for them. Hurts Texas too as the Big 12 championship will lack prestige even if UT doesn't lose again. Kind of wanted UT in the playoffs. I guess they still have a chance, but it feels scant.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 28, 2023, 05:46:10 PMSo Oklahoma lost to Kansas and Oregon is smashing Utah, and Penn st squeaks by.

Believe Ohio St., Florida St., and Washington may be your big playoff hurdles.  A close Michigan-Ohio St loss may keep both in top 4.  Other two are in a good position.  Never know.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Philosophers on October 28, 2023, 06:47:22 PMBelieve Ohio St., Florida St., and Washington may be your big playoff hurdles.  A close Michigan-Ohio St loss may keep both in top 4.  Other two are in a good position.  Never know.
Washington likely loses 1 as does Ohio St. If ole miss Beats texas am and then Georgia and then Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC championship game I don't know how ole miss isn't at the top of 1 loss teams as our strength of schedule is really good.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 28, 2023, 07:12:18 PMWashington likely loses 1 as does Ohio St. If ole miss Beats texas am and then Georgia and then Georgia beats Alabama in the SEC championship game I don't know how ole miss isn't at the top of 1 loss teams as our strength of schedule is really good.

With wins against ranked Notre Dame, Penn St then other wins and say a close loss to #2 ranked team, I think they get in.

Anyway good luck.

VanPelt

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 28, 2023, 05:50:06 PMRough loss for OU. Kills any hopes at a title for them. Hurts Texas too as the Big 12 championship will lack prestige even if UT doesn't lose again. Kind of wanted UT in the playoffs. I guess they still have a chance, but it feels scant.

It does improve Kansas's position though, which will help Texas. If Texas wins out they will have beaten Bama, Kansas, OU (championship game), and maybe Kansas St, with their 1 loss to a top 10 team. They still have a shot, the teams ahead of them are capable of losing a game somewhere plus Mich stil has to play OSU

DaveBrown74

Quote from: VanPelt on October 29, 2023, 12:15:14 PMIt does improve Kansas's position though, which will help Texas. If Texas wins out they will have beaten Bama, Kansas, OU (championship game), and maybe Kansas St, with their 1 loss to a top 10 team. They still have a shot, the teams ahead of them are capable of losing a game somewhere plus Mich stil has to play OSU

Texas definitely has a shot, but it's going to be tough. Nice win by Kansas, but they're still a two loss team. You have to think:

1 SEC team (probably UGA). Outside chance of two SEC teams but highly unlikely.
FSU if they don't lose, which it seems unlikely they will.
1 Big 10 team (outside chance of two but unlikely)
1 Pac 12 team

There are ways Texas can get in, but they could easily not get in even if they don't lose another game.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 29, 2023, 12:34:59 PMTexas definitely has a shot, but it's going to be tough. Nice win by Kansas, but they're still a two loss team. You have to think:

1 SEC team (probably UGA). Outside chance of two SEC teams but highly unlikely.
FSU if they don't lose, which it seems unlikely they will.
1 Big 10 team (outside chance of two but unlikely)
1 Pac 12 team

There are ways Texas can get in, but they could easily not get in even if they don't lose another game.

I keep reading that folks are predicting the first rankings to be OSU is 1, Michigan is 2, GA is 3 and FSU is 4.

If true and Michigan beats OSU say 21-17 in a good game, I can see OSU remaining in top 4.