News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Details on DJ's neck injury

Started by MightyGiants, October 29, 2023, 07:35:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

QuoteThe neck injury that will sideline New York Giants quarterback Daniel Jones for a third consecutive game today is not believed to be season-ending, sources say, but it must fully heal before Jones can return to action and avoid the risk of a reinjury that could lead to a much longer absence.

Sources say Jones' injury has caused significant weakness in his left (non-throwing) arm. The injury is healing, and Jones has regained a lot of the strength, but it hasn't healed enough for Jones to be cleared for contact, keeping Tyrod Taylor in the starting lineup for Sunday's game against the Jets.

If Jones, 26, were to return before he's fully healthy, there would be a heightened risk of reinjury that would send him back to square one. So, the Giants continue to take a cautious approach to his return. The past two weeks in practice, Jones took increased scout-team reps, a sign that shutting him down is not currently under consideration. But until he's fully cleared, that's all he'll do at practice.

QuoteJones previously suffered a neck injury in 2021 -- another disc issue that led to an early end to his season. Jones has said this recent neck injury isn't as severe, and sources say it's not viewed as anything long-term. However, the risk of further complication isn't worth rushing him back.

https://www.nfl.com/news/symptoms-of-giants-qb-daniel-jones-neck-injury-includes-left-side-weakness
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I am beginning to think DJ's career could be over (or at least his career as a starter).   The hit DJ took to cause the injury was a hard one, but not unusual for a QB.   If he is going to suffer an injury to his neck that is so bad as to weaken his arm, that is not good, not good at all.  It's not like when he returns; he can expect not to be hit.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Another disk injury? Several times Jones said it's not the same thing. Won't these type of injuries cause problems later in life?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

I thought of perhaps the most important question:

How on earth did the Giants' medical people sign off on giving a QB who had disc issues in his neck a big contract?!?!
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 29, 2023, 08:34:22 AMI thought of perhaps the most important question:

How on earth did the Giants' medical people sign off on giving a QB who had disc issues in his neck a big contract?!?!

What did I miss, who said he had disc issues?

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 29, 2023, 08:38:46 AMWhat did I miss, who said he had disc issues?

Did you read the first post?  I put the critical point in bold.   This article is from NFL insiders:   Ian Rapoport & Tom Pelissero
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 29, 2023, 08:26:28 AMAnother disk injury? Several times Jones said it's not the same thing. Won't these type of injuries cause problems later in life?

I suspect it's a different disk.  These sorts of injuries are not something one plays around with.   I wouldn't be surprised if DJ ends up with some limitations in his neck movement later in life and/or chronic pain
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 29, 2023, 08:57:38 AMDid you read the first post?  I put the critical point in bold.   This article is from NFL insiders:   Ian Rapoport & Tom Pelissero

Yes, and I didnt see anything that says he has an existing condition or predisposition to disc injuries.  He had an injury in 2021 doesn't mean he is more or less likely to have an issue in the future.  Why would Dr.s stand in the way of that contract?

Bob In PA

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 29, 2023, 09:12:59 AMYes, and I didnt see anything that says he has an existing condition or predisposition to disc injuries.  He had an injury in 2021 doesn't mean he is more or less likely to have an issue in the future.  Why would Dr.s stand in the way of that contract?

uconn: I tend to be "in the middle" concerning this issue (leaning in your direction).

I agree 100 percent that one freak injury certainly does not make a trend.

But a SIMILAR injury to MAYBE the same area (not so according to Jones) could be concerning (Rich's point).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Stringer Bell

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 29, 2023, 09:41:22 AMuconn: I tend to be "in the middle" concerning this issue (leaning in your direction).

I agree 100 percent that one freak injury certainly does not make a trend.

But a SIMILAR injury to MAYBE the same area (not so according to Jones) could be concerning (Rich's point).

Bob

And the second injury occurred AFTER the contract was signed. So why would doctors stand in the way due to one freak injury?

Jclayton92

If he can't go because of injury and has to retire we get no help on the cap right?

The ESPN ticker last night said The Giants were eyeing week 10 as the return date for Jones.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 29, 2023, 10:11:02 AMAnd the second injury occurred AFTER the contract was signed. So why would doctors stand in the way due to one freak injury?
Stringer: That never occurred to me. Great point. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 29, 2023, 10:13:15 AMIf he can't go because of injury and has to retire we get no help on the cap right?

The ESPN ticker last night said The Giants were eyeing week 10 as the return date for Jones.

There are injury guarantees that make it worse
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on October 29, 2023, 10:11:02 AMAnd the second injury occurred AFTER the contract was signed. So why would doctors stand in the way due to one freak injury?

The real question is-  Was the first injury truly "freak," or was it the result of structural/congenital issues?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I don't have the professional level of knowledge or expertise to speculate on the precise degree of Jones' current condition. I'll leave that to folks who went to medical school. What I do know is he keeps getting hurt, year after year (with one exception), and missing meaningful time. If the current ethos of the organization is "Tough, Smart, Dependable", I'm not sure Jones meets all three of those. And I think that has been more than proven over a more than sufficient sample size.