News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How Does everyone feel about DeVito starting next week??

Started by Dumpster Dan, October 29, 2023, 08:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmo11

Quote from: files58 on October 29, 2023, 10:48:29 PMThe real issue is why does this thread even exist?  :o  :( We're talking about Tommy effing DeVito at QB and we've only reached the half way point in the season. It's not like it's week 13 or 14 where holiday season mitigates the level of agida. Then again we were 1 second, 1 fu%n second from beating the jets with a High School QB. Isn't that an accomplishment?  ;)  /sarcasm/  :greetings:  ~X(  :confused:  :crazy:  :suspious:  :what:  :boooo:

And apparently the Jets spotted their own ball before the spike not the referee. Meaning that spike play probably shouldn't have counted.

But to answer the question at hand... I feel like they're going to get their asses kicked. And I know they're playing an equally crappy Raiders team but that team has an NFL QB. Even if he's not very good. The Giants do not. Defense may keep them in it for a while but there's only so much they can do. Gilliam better make sure that leg is warmed up and stretched out cause he's in for one hell of a workout yet again

andrew_nyGiants

I think there were a few reasons Daboll held back with the kid.

1) it's a good bet he had no reps all week
2) inexperience with an OL that was overmatched in pass pro.
3) the driving rain by the time he went in.

I'm not saying DeVito is any good, I'm just saying we still haven't seen what he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

B1GBLUE

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on October 30, 2023, 07:57:47 AMI think there were a few reasons Daboll held back with the kid.

1) it's a good bet he had no reps all week
2) inexperience with an OL that was overmatched in pass pro.
3) the driving rain by the time he went in.

I'm not saying DeVito is any good, I'm just saying we still haven't seen what he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it would be malpractice to not have had him take any reps all week, considering he was the backup. this is another coaching decision that is driving me nuts. you had a 50% waller with bellinger as the only other te. in a game you KNEW was gonna be run heavy. you had the backup qb so unprepared you didnt even let him throw past the LOS. I have never seen anything like it.

DaveBrown74

I highly doubt DeVito took zero reps all week. He was elevated from the PS a while ago. He has taken reps. The issue was the conditions were awful (wet ball), we were up against an elite D, and Taylor (who is clearly better than DeVito) was having no success throwing the ball. Our D was playing great however. Daboll calculated that his best chance of winning was to play it safe and let our D win, as we had the lead.

We can kill Daboll all we want, and I'm not saying it's totally unwarranted, but the reality is if our kicker makes a 35 yard chip shot, his plan would have worked just fine, and all this "fire Daboll" stuff wouldn't be happening.

Bob In PA

Clearly, DeVito should, must and will play. 

The question I have is who will back him up?  IMO neither Jones nor Taylor will be able to play next week.

By losing yesterday's game, the Giants have already forfeited any chance they had to make something out of this season, so playing DeVito can lead to only two outcomes... he does a "Brock Purdy" and obviates the need to draft a QB (in my lifetime, the Giants have NEVER been that lucky) or he shows he'll never be even a backup QB in the NFL. The sample size by season's end will be "too big" to ignore, one way or the other.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 08:27:46 AMClearly, DeVito should, must and will play. 

Bob,

I think it's premature to feel totally sure about this:

(1) Jones could potentially be cleared. I'm not predicting that by any means, and I think it's unlikely, but I read in (I think) the Post this AM that sources have said he is not far off.

(2) They could sign a veteran like Wentz and start him.

(3) We don't have a diagnosis on Taylor. He has not been ruled out yet and thus has a nonzero chance of playing.

Out of all of these, 1 and 3 are clearly the least likely, but 2 feels very possible. With the way Daboll proceeded with DeVito yesterday, do we really think he's more likely to go to battle with him than with some veteran they get off the street or from another team's PS?

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 30, 2023, 08:31:46 AMI think it's premature to feel totally sure about this:
DB: I don't agree with any of your assumptions (stated or unstated).

Jones would have played yesterday (a winnable and "must-win" game) if at all possible.  A week won't matter. IMO they're hiding something about him, and it's not likely what they're hiding is good news.

Taylor had to go to the hospital after the injury.  They don't do that unless ordered by a doctor. With our OL it would be criminal to put a guy with broken ribs (or ribs bad enough to require a hospital visit) into next week's game,

No matter how little they think of DeVito, he still knows more about the team than anyone they could possibly get to play in his place.  DeVito can, must and will play.  The question is who will back him up.

If the Giants do sign someone now, it will tell us all we need to know about the seriousness of Jones' injury.

Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: Gmo11 on October 30, 2023, 09:12:33 AMStapleton reporting Jones is back this week anyway.

https://x.com/art_stapleton/status/1718977874739204598?s=46&t=ztHQkdrs2C-vkXmhNZla-g

Gm: That saves us from having to find a backup QB, and I'm pleased to hear it. Thanks for finding that. Bob

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 09:17:32 AMGm: That saves us from having to find a backup QB, and I'm pleased to hear it. Thanks for finding that. Bob

It saves us from having to find a backup QB if we're fine with DeVito as the backup.

Bob In PA

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 30, 2023, 09:18:49 AMIt saves us from having to find a backup QB if we're fine with DeVito as the backup.

DB: There is no evidence that the coaches are not fine with DeVito as a backup.

He was good enough to be put on the roster yesterday to be a backup.

The game circumstances IMO dictated doing what the coaches did... just hope he wouldn't do anything to lose it.

If Barkley had gotten hurt, they'd have had no choice but to unleash him (if there's anything to be unleashed).

With more reps this week than he had last week, he'll be as ready to play backup as anyone off the street.

Bob

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 30, 2023, 09:18:49 AMIt saves us from having to find a backup QB if we're fine with DeVito as the backup.

I am wondering how much of these roster issues (Devito, 2 TEs, etc) are being caused by the salary cap.  I realize they could find more cap money if they need to but are they just being stubborn on that?

Felt like Gray was IR'd mostly for them to be able to have 48 guys mostly healthy guys suit up this week. 

Why wouldn't they have added a PS QB when DJ went down?  Seems like they are trying to avoid the cap costs of bringing more guys on to the active roster. 

Bob In PA

Quote from: uconnjack8 on October 30, 2023, 09:57:28 AMI am wondering how much of these roster issues (Devito, 2 TEs, etc) are being caused by the salary cap.

Why wouldn't they have added a PS QB when DJ went down?

uconn: There's no doubt the cap controls almost everything almost all teams do or refrain from doing.

Putting that aside, there are only two possible answers, one of which is they're fine with DeVito.

The other is that no one they want is/was available (even if they had the money).

Bob

uconnjack8

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 10:01:19 AMuconn: There's no doubt the cap controls almost everything almost all teams do or refrain from doing.

Putting that aside, there are only two possible answers, one of which is they're fine with DeVito.

The other is that no one they want is/was available (even if they had the money).

Bob

Bob, 

My point is more that there is almost always a way to find more cap money in a given year.  Heck, they could have converted 5 million more of DJs money to bonuses and had plenty to sign Colt McCoy.  They chose not to do that for some reason.