News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daniel Jones is cleared for contact and a return to starting

Started by MightyGiants, October 30, 2023, 09:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 10:20:45 AMking: Your point's another reason to question whether Jones will start or just be available for emergency backup. 

The season is now IMO officially "lost" so why rush him back?

The only possible explanation is to draw a parallel to Barkley.  In both cases, they could be overpaying both guys because they were "stuck" with them when they (Daboll and Shoen) got here. And we see that, hurting or not, they're squeezing every last dollar they're paying Barkley out of him (playing him a lot, probably "too much"). Even though Jones is not nearly as good a player as Barkley, is there reason to suspect they might be trying as hard to get their "money's-worth" out of Jones in the same manner?

Bob

I agree, Bob; at this point, the season is completely lost.  I'm more concerned about DJ's long-term health than I am winning meaningless football games.  As @DaveBrown74 highlighted, I take no solace achieving a 6-11 vice 2 – 15 record...they both suck.  However, the latter gives us an opportunity to draft a better player.  Regardless, your point is not lost on me...

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2023, 10:29:39 AMNo, not at all. Read.
Ed: Message received... but I can't, don't and refuse to believe it.

Even it true, we still do not know when (i.e., which day of the week... or which week) Jones might have actually been cleared.

I can see a VALID reason for not playing him against the Jets if the circumstances are as you have supposed.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

andrew_nyGiants

This stinks to high Heaven of a PANIC move.

It also sends a terrible message to the locker room. "If they need me bad enough to H3LL with my health"

Is Daboll unraveling the way that Judge did a few years ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Bob In PA

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on October 30, 2023, 11:12:35 AMThis stinks to high Heaven of a PANIC move.

It also sends a terrible message to the locker room. "If they need me bad enough to H3LL with my health"

Is Daboll unraveling the way that Judge did a few years ago?

andrew: Without conceding the point to you, Ed and everyone else who agrees you... nice post.

Or did Giants intentionally release that news TODAY merely to change the subject (from the team's utter incompetence yesterday)? If so, I still think Jones will not start.

I say this ONLY because I know the owners, management, etc., are NOT so "tone-deaf" as to be unaware what people would say about the TIMING of the announcement.  Really?  Are they that "tone-deaf?"  Even if there was motive and the timing was not purely coincidental, I suspect some other motive, not that one.

Bob

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 11:21:34 AMandrew: Without conceding the point to you, Ed and everyone else who agrees with you... nice post.

Or did Giants intentionally release that news TODAY merely to change the subject (from the team's utter incompetence yesterday)? If so, I still think Jones will not start.

I say this ONLY because I know the owners, management, etc., are NOT so "tone-deaf" as to be unaware what people would say about the TIMING of the announcement.  Really?  Are they that "tone-deaf?"  Even if there was motive and the timing was not purely coincidental, I suspect some other motive, not that one.

Bob
The timing makes it even WORSE!

What happened to gamesmanship and keeping the opponent guessing until the last minute?

Like I said, PANIC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

katkavage

And what's the word on the forgotten man, Taylor?

Bob In PA

Quote from: katkavage on October 30, 2023, 11:47:09 AMAnd what's the word on the forgotten man, Taylor?

kat: IMO a trip to the hospital doesn't bode well for next week (or the rest of year, considering his age). Bob

katkavage

Quote from: Bob In PA on October 30, 2023, 11:51:12 AMkat: IMO a trip to the hospital doesn't bode well for next week (or the rest of year, considering his age). Bob
I agree, but no one is talking. Or asking.

Giant Jim

Quote from: kingm56 on October 30, 2023, 10:15:03 AMAfter 60 games we still need to evaluate Jones? At this point, he is what he is; the question remains, will the Giants be in a position to replace him next season?  That's the intrigue for the rest of this season. To Ed's point, I suspect the Giants have already concluded their evaluation, which is why he wasn't cleared until today...when they had no other options.
I want to see Jones play behind a decent line. He's never had consistent or adequate protection. If the regular starters all return, this could be the best line they've had since he got here and that's not saying much. Thomas is instant improvement, Pugh could be a decent step up at LG and Glowinski had been much better than his first few games. Schmitz needs to play and it's too soon to give up on Neal. You think a highly drafted QB would do better? Don't forget, the Giants have drafted only 2 top QB's since the draft was started in the 1930's, the Jets just 1 in over 60 years.

MightyGiants

For those exposing conspiracy theories about Jones' health, consider:

The NFL would take a dim view if it was discovered that an NFL team was manipulating and falsifying injury data, especially about their QB.  I think it's fair to say if the Giants got caught doing what many are suggesting they are doing, the NFL would come down hard on the team, and there likely would be a loss of draft picks and a fine.  Plus, the Maras may be a lot of things, but I don't think dishonest is one of them.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

B1GBLUE

i said earlier this week, the plan was for jones to sit so tyrod can look bad against a good d, so that jones can be inserted again without so much controversy. is it that big a coincidence jones is cleared less than 24 hours after game day? come on.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Giant Jim on October 30, 2023, 10:10:11 AMReally need to see him back with Thomas and Neal to evaluate for the rest of the season.

id rather stick with tyre. neal is awful.

MightyGiants

Published: Nov 01, 2019 at 10:13 AM
Jeremy_Bergman_1400x1000
Jeremy Bergman
Digital Content Editor

The NFL fined the Pittsburgh Steelers $75,000 and coach Mike Tomlin $25,000 for violating the league's injury report policy by not accurately listing quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the practice report prior to the team's Week 2 game against the Seattle Seahawks, NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero reported Friday.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-fines-steelers-tomlin-for-violating-injury-report-policy-0ap3000001072031

2017 Personnel (Injury) Report Policy
The Personnel (Injury) Report Policy has been a cornerstone of public confidence in the NFL for
many decades. The credibility of the NFL, teams, owners and team personnel requires full
compliance with and uniform enforcement of the policy.
The intent is to provide full and complete information on player availability. It is NFL policy that
information for dissemination to the public on all injured players be reported in a satisfactory
manner by clubs to the league office, the opposing team, local and national media, and broadcast
partners each game week of the regular season and postseason (including for the two Super Bowl
teams between the Championship Games and Super Bowl).
The information must be credible, accurate, timely, and specific within the guidelines of the policy,
which is of paramount importance in maintaining the integrity of the game.
A violation of the policy may result in Commissioner discipline, which may include a fine on the
involved club, fines or suspensions of involved individuals, as well as the possible forfeiture of
draft choices by the involved club.

Each Public Relations Director is responsible for ensuring that all required injury and
practice/game participation information is reported to the NFL Communications Department, and
issued to the opposing team, local and national media, broadcast partners, etc., via the NFL
Intranet site as provided hereinbelow.

https://operations.nfl.com/media/2683/2017-nfl-injury-report-policy.pdf
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 30, 2023, 12:15:44 PMFor those exposing conspiracy theories about Jones' health, consider:

The NFL would take a dim view if it was discovered that an NFL team was manipulating and falsifying injury data, especially about their QB.  I think it's fair to say if the Giants got caught doing what many are suggesting they are doing, the NFL would come down hard on the team, and there likely would be a loss of draft picks and a fine.  Plus, the Maras may be a lot of things, but I don't think dishonest is one of them.

Rich: Totally agree and believe the timing of the announcement is only a coincidence.

If the Giants had won yesterday, the same new would have been received much differently as they looked forward to trying to get back 'in it' this season.

But where do you fall on the question of how likely it is Jones will start this next week?  I'm not at all as certain of that as many of our members appear to be.

Bob

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 30, 2023, 12:15:44 PMFor those exposing conspiracy theories about Jones' health, consider:

Maybe so, but the vagueness in his injury and prognosis, and the timing, and the money involved, and the circumstances the Giants are in now make it all so ripe for conspiracy.