News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is there any reason we should not be sellers before the deadline?

Started by DaveBrown74, October 30, 2023, 11:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

We're 2-6, our QB situation is tenuous at best, we have other injuries, and the remaining schedule is not easy. Our odds of making the playoffs are virtually zero for all intents and purposes. Is there any reason why the Giants should not be trying to move veteran players that they don't intend to re-sign (ie who aren't part of their long term plans)?

EDjohnst1981

GordonGekko80

Barkley, LW and A Jackson are on the Block. I am pretty sure about it.

Painter

As I said earlier, given that Taylor may not take another snap for Our Heroes, and DJ is at best it would seem, a "waiting to happen", and DeVito was placed atop the dung heap yesterday, a cap-strapped Schoen will have to find takers for Barkley or several others of lesser value. and that's just to be able to sign a guy for 9 games, Ne c'est pas?

Cheers!

Gmo11

Everything must go!

Let the Fire Sale commence.  There should really only be a handful of people off limits.  Dex/Thibs/Thomas/Hyatt...maybe that's it?  On Banks for sure.  Otherwise... if people call the Giants should answer.

And we should also temper expectations too.  Barkley isn't going for a 1st or 2nd round pick.  Maybe not even a 3rd rounder.  It doesn't matter.  They should get whatever they can and the more picks they have the more they will be able to use those picks to trade up in the draft.  Hopefully they can collect enough to be able to position themselves to take a QB in an unusually deep QB class. 

AZGiantFan

They absolutely should be selling off players, starting with Saquon.  For all the hoo haw about Barkley, the fact is that in one of his best games he still only averaged 3.6 ypc.  And 3.7 for the season.  And forget about the 'he's also valuable in the passing game' argument with his 19 catches averaging 4.6 yards per catch.  And he is brittle.  If they got offered as much as a 4th rounder they should snatch it up.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on October 30, 2023, 01:21:22 PMThey absolutely should be selling off players, starting with Saquon.  For all the hoo haw about Barkley, the fact is that in one of his best games he still only averaged 3.6 ypc.  And 3.7 for the season.  And forget about the 'he's also valuable in the passing game' argument with his 19 catches averaging 4.6 yards per catch.  And he is brittle.  If they got offered as much as a 4th rounder they should snatch it up.

Obviously, front offices around the league can see everything you and I can see, so I'm not sure any team will offer more than the ultimate compensatory pick we can eventually get with him.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 30, 2023, 01:23:25 PMObviously, front offices around the league can see everything you and I can see, so I'm not sure any team will offer more than the ultimate compensatory pick we can eventually get with him.

We don't know what that compensatory pick will be.  This is what we do know:

QuoteWhen awarding compensatory picks, the NFL uses a formula that accounts for a player's average salary per year (APY), snap count and postseason awards. The exact specifics of the formula are confidential, but we do know it also takes into consideration a player's history of playing time (or lack thereof)

People have tossed around a 3rd round compensatory pick, but with these criteria I don't see it.  He's not going to sign a big multi year contract.  He misses a lot of time which suppresses his snap count.  He was OROY but has only made one Pro Bowl since. So I see him as a 4th or 5th round compensatory at best.

PLUS we may be players in the FA market, and that could potentially cancel out any compensatory pick for him.  So if some team offers us a 4th for him I say take it and run.  A bird in hand . . .
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll