News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

So when Eli says stick with DJ

Started by Philosophers, November 16, 2023, 02:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So when Eli says stick with DJ

Philosophers

T200

Eli is only talking about next season because he's already under contract.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

I actually voted for "Eli knows more than fans about QB development" because that is a 100% true statement, and I would never be convinced otherwise.

What I don't know is exactly what Eli meant. If "bringing Jones back" simply refers to 2024, then I don't think that's much of a statement because that is clearly the only realistic thing they can do given his contract. Does Eli know how prohibitive it is to cut him after this season? Does he understand that it would be basically impossible to trade Jones with that contract?

If all Eli meant was that they should not do anything other than bring him back for the year 2024, then this is a complete non-story.

If on the other hand Eli is suggesting that the Giants commit to Jones long-term, which would involve restructuring his contract to get that $47mm 2024 cap hit down but would commit them to more years with him, then that is a horse of a different color. But I don't think he said that.

MightyGiants

Here is what Eli Manning said:

"They saw Daniel Jones, they were around him. They had him for a year and they trusted that, 'Hey, this is a kid that has a bunch of upside,' " Manning told Andrew Marchand and John Ourand, referring to the new Giants regime that started in 2022. "He's still in the first year of the offense, played extremely well. He can run, he's tough. He can make the throws. Just unfortunately, this was a tough year with injuries. ... And so, I think you still got to trust your quarterback.

"He's going to come back, he's going to be healthy. He works hard. He's a great teammate. He does all the intangible things really, really well, and I think they got to trust him, can put some guys, get help around them and continue to grow with these teams. I think when you sign your key guys to contracts, Saquon [Barkley], Dexter Lawrence, Daniel ... you put these guys, you keep adding guys around them and you don't just say, hey, switch it up right away because you have one bad year."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 16, 2023, 02:43:00 PMI actually voted for "Eli knows more than fans about QB development" because that is a 100% true statement, and I would never be convinced otherwise.

What I don't know is exactly what Eli meant. If "bringing Jones back" simply refers to 2024, then I don't think that's much of a statement because that is clearly the only realistic thing they can do given his contract. Does Eli know how prohibitive it is to cut him after this season? Does he understand that it would be basically impossible to trade Jones with that contract?

If all Eli meant was that they should not do anything other than bring him back for the year 2024, then this is a complete non-story.

If on the other hand Eli is suggesting that the Giants commit to Jones long-term, which would involve restructuring his contract to get that $47mm 2024 cap hit down but would commit them to more years with him, then that is a horse of a different color. But I don't think he said that.
https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/16/eli-manning-new-york-giants-need-to-stick-with-build-around-daniel-jones/
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

Mara is big on taking advice from people he respects. He hired Gettleman based on Ernie Accorsi's recommendation, and Bill Belichick's recommendation of Joe Judge played a role in his hiring of him.

I just hope he allows Schoen to do whatever he thinks is the right move here. We have all seen Jones for 4.5 years. Is Eli more qualified than any fan to judge QBs? Yes he is. There are also former professional QBs who think Jones isn't very good. At the end of the day I just hope the GM is able to have the final say on this, and without aggressive "leaning" by Mara.

I actually think unless Mara overrules Schoen, Schoen will do what he thinks is right. Because quite frankly if he thinks it's wrong to go with Jones, even though that decision might placate Mara in the very short term, it won't stop Mara from firing Schoen if and when it doesn't work out. And it will also be a decision that the rest of the league watches him make, which is something else for him to think about as he may not be with the Giants for his whole working career.

The fact that it's literally impossible to trade Jones should be something that Mara and Schoen stop and think about for a moment. If it's literally impossible to move a player (without eating a huge chunk of his contract), what does that say about that player's value? You may own a house that you believe is worth $1mm, but if nobody is willing to even give you $500k for it, is it really a $1mm house?

katkavage

He is being nice. Jones is a likeable guy with a persistent losing record. Eli should have been asked if the Giants should draft a QB next year.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: katkavage on November 16, 2023, 03:09:18 PMHe is being nice.

That could be. I considered that option as well although I am willing to take Eli for his word at face value since I have never known him to be untruthful before.

One thing I know for certain is that Eli and DJ are friends, or at least friendly. I have a friend who belongs to the same golf club Eli does, and he saw Jones there (as Eli's guest) at least once last summer. I'm not saying that because they played golf together it means that Eli will deliberately advise the Giants to do something they shouldn't do, but we all know Eli's personality. He's not one to really slam anybody, especially someone he knows and gets along with.

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2023, 02:44:45 PMHere is what Eli Manning said:

"They saw Daniel Jones, they were around him. They had him for a year and they trusted that, 'Hey, this is a kid that has a bunch of upside,' " Manning told Andrew Marchand and John Ourand, referring to the new Giants regime that started in 2022. "He's still in the first year of the offense, played extremely well. He can run, he's tough. He can make the throws. Just unfortunately, this was a tough year with injuries. ... And so, I think you still got to trust your quarterback.

"He's going to come back, he's going to be healthy. He works hard. He's a great teammate. He does all the intangible things really, really well, and I think they got to trust him, can put some guys, get help around them and continue to grow with these teams. I think when you sign your key guys to contracts, Saquon [Barkley], Dexter Lawrence, Daniel ... you put these guys, you keep adding guys around them and you don't just say, hey, switch it up right away because you have one bad year."

He's right in the sense you don't blow it up after 1 bad year.  But what about 4 bad years out of 5?  I think we know at this point the ceiling that Jones brings along with him.  There was at least hope after last season that maybe he was finally turning a corner with Daboll/Kafka better pieces around him would get him to that next level...but nope.  Didn't happen.  The pieces around him got better, he got worse.  It's time to move on.  They can't get rid of him completely but since they're going to be drafting in the top 2 it's time to pick a real QB to replace him. 

files58

Before Eli gave his stick with Jones opinion did he ask Daboll why he threw the Microsoft Surface? I/m/o that was the moment Daboll knew it won't be Jones leading them to the promised land. It probably went down something like the following. Daboll "didn't you see xyz we went over this scenario 1000x, and you told me you got it" Jones in his best Ralph Kramden imitation replied "a humina humina humina".

MightyGiants

Quote from: Gmo11 on November 16, 2023, 03:15:00 PMHe's right in the sense you don't blow it up after 1 bad year.  But what about 4 bad years out of 5?  I think we know at this point the ceiling that Jones brings along with him.  There was at least hope after last season that maybe he was finally turning a corner with Daboll/Kafka better pieces around him would get him to that next level...but nope.  Didn't happen.  The pieces around him got better, he got worse.  It's time to move on.  They can't get rid of him completely but since they're going to be drafting in the top 2 it's time to pick a real QB to replace him. 

In terms of career history of Daniel Jones

Rookie season-  Jones had a pretty good rookie season aside from his high turnover numbers

year's two and three-  Jones was below average in his two years under Judge and Garrett

year four-  Jones put up pretty good numbers in the first year in Daboll's system and with minimal support

year five-  In the 6 games he played under very difficult conditions he had 2 good to great games in AZ and Miami.   He had 4 weak-to-bad games.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2023, 03:43:10 PMRookie season-  Jones had a pretty good rookie season aside from his high turnover numbers

This sounds a bit like saying "she's good looking aside from her severe acne problem."

Ball security is a huge and very central part of playing the position. I don't see how it can be parsed out like this. Because he was so bad with ball security, to me his 2019 season was not good at all.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 16, 2023, 03:47:59 PMThis sounds a bit like saying "she's good looking aside from her severe acne problem."

Ball security is a huge and very central part of playing the position. I don't see how it can be parsed out like this. Because he was so bad with ball security, to me his 2019 season was not good at all.

Rookies having turnover issues is not that uncommon.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

B1GBLUE

I think hes being nice, but also probably does still have a great deal of insider info. jones will be back next year and will 95% be the starter if he's healthy

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 16, 2023, 03:50:05 PMRookies having turnover issues is not that uncommon. 

Fair enough. I agree.