News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Better or Worse

Started by Ed Vette, May 06, 2024, 06:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sxdxca38, Painter and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on May 11, 2024, 07:33:29 PMThey could have taken Ekwonu 5th overall but they prioritized Thibodeaux. There was an active debate as to who was better between Neal and Ekwonu. So far Ekwonu has been the materially better player (mainly due to Neal being so awful).

But even despite the Neal conundrum, Schoen has done a very poor job overall dealing with the O line mess since taking over prior to this offseason. Every free agent he has brought in has been brutal and every draft pick, so far at least, has either looked awful, gotten hurt quickly, or both. The O line coach left a lot to be desired until this offseason as well, and while that may have been Daboll's hire, Daboll is Schoen's hire so ultimately Schoen is responsible.

By the way, I've been a pretty steady Schoen supporter and still am, but I'm not going to gloss over areas where I don't think he has done a good job to this point. Let's hope the decisions made in this most recent offseason lead to better O line play in 2024 and beyond.

But that's the thing. He played it exactly right because he wanted an OL and Thibs. I imagine their grades on both OL were basically the same. But Thibs was the best pass rusher they were going to find. So he got both. Nobody not a single solitary soul questioned that pick on draft day because it made all the sense in the world. We were told Neal was the most pro ready OL in the draft. He clearly was and is not but at the time the pick was a no brainer. And if it goes the other way and suddenly the Giants have bookend tackles for the next decade that makes the whole thing look a lot better.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on May 11, 2024, 11:37:36 PMBut that's the thing. He played it exactly right because he wanted an OL and Thibs. I imagine their grades on both OL were basically the same. But Thibs was the best pass rusher they were going to find. So he got both. Nobody not a single solitary soul questioned that pick on draft day because it made all the sense in the world. We were told Neal was the most pro ready OL in the draft. He clearly was and is not but at the time the pick was a no brainer. And if it goes the other way and suddenly the Giants have bookend tackles for the next decade that makes the whole thing look a lot better.

We were told that, yes, by pundits and draftnik types. None of us actually scouted the guy. And by scouting I mean actually going to visits, workouts, interviews, watching Alabama games standing on the sideline, reviewing high school tape, talking to his coaches, talking to opposing coaches, etc. We didn't do the work. The Giants did. The Giants decided they wanted to prioritize Thibodeaux over having the first O line pick in that draft. Would they have taken Ekwonu over Neal? We'll never know that. But their course of action is still their responsibility.

Also what about all his other O line decisions? Why does it just come down to Neal? He could have still done a lot better with the O line than he has, even with the bust Neal pick.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on Today at 09:25:47 AMWe were told that, yes, by pundits and draftnik types. None of us actually scouted the guy. And by scouting I mean actually going to visits, workouts, interviews, watching Alabama games standing on the sideline, reviewing high school tape, talking to his coaches, talking to opposing coaches, etc. We didn't do the work. The Giants did. The Giants decided they wanted to prioritize Thibodeaux over having the first O line pick in that draft. Would they have taken Ekwonu over Neal? We'll never know that. But their course of action is still their responsibility.

Also what about all his other O line decisions? Why does it just come down to Neal? He could have still done a lot better with the O line than he has, even with the bust Neal pick.

JMS has not looked like a good center yet as a 2nd round pick.  Even if Neal improves, JMS needs a big jump as well.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on Today at 09:58:17 AMJMS has not looked like a good center yet as a 2nd round pick.  Even if Neal improves, JMS needs a big jump as well.

Precisely my point. The failures (to this point) go well beyond the Neal pick.

Painter

All that we fans are really good at is second-guessing and never better than when we are practicing on ourselves as I am right now.

For me at least, rooting requires optimism and thus anticipates improvement which is something I expect we will see this year. Yeah, I know that's not bucking the odds by much when last season Our Heroes were ranked 29th overall on Offense and 27th on Defense.

I have already mentioned how much the addition of a true star No. 1 WR will add to what I believe will be a top-notch Receiver Corps overall, and that I believe the loss of Barkley will be less of a liability than some might think- especially given the addition of guys like Singleterry and Tracy, Jr to whatever is Gray's potential.  That assumes, of course that there will be a notable improvement from last year's abysmal Oline play.

As for the Defense, I think I already have made clear my view that the additions which have since been made to the Front 7 not only compensate for the loss of Williams but will make it the best it has been in quite some time. As for the Secondary, although still an area of concern until proven otherwise, I feel better now that they've added Nubin, Phillips and McCloud to the mix.  And, I must say also that I am quite comfortable with Shane Bowen replacing Wink as DC.

And so now, for better or worse, cop-out or otherwise, I am neutral and non-predicting when it comes to Giants' Quarterback play and that of Daniel Jones in particular in what must be viewed as his make-or-break future with the Giants...and perhaps also for some other notables.

In any case, I have only now realized that should Daniel Jones start a total of just 12 games this year, he will have made the third most starts (73) of any Giants QB since Eli's 246 and Phil's 139, and thus of all 25 other QBs since 1970 (post-Conerly/Tittle) including guys like Kerry Collins, Dave Brown, Scott Brunner, Craig Morton, Jeff Hostetler, Fran Tarkenton, etc.

Proves nothing, but kinda interesting of sorts, huh?

Cheers!