News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

New way to launch satellites - blows my mind

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, April 16, 2022, 12:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I love how technology develops and some engineers really do think outside the box. A technology firm "SpinLaunch" has developed a catapult system to launch satellites into space without the use of fuel. :-??

Don't know all the details, but it blows my mind that this is even possible. Here's the scoop: https://nypost.com/2022/04/15/giant-space-slingshot-set-to-launch-nasa-craft-in-2022-revealed/
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 16, 2022, 02:20:30 PM
I prefer a sling-shot.  LOL

=))

Either way, if there were astronauts aboard, they'd all die of the subsequent g-force...LOL (maybe that isn't funny - my bad)

From and engineering perspective, I wonder how well the electro-mechanical parts could hold up

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 16, 2022, 03:31:20 PM
=))

Either way, if there were astronauts aboard, they'd all die of the subsequent g-force...LOL (maybe that isn't funny - my bad)

From and engineering perspective, I wonder how well the electro-mechanical parts could hold up
Jolly: Not knowing much about it, but from simply looking at it, I can see why the G-force created by such a contraption would be very very strong. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 16, 2022, 03:51:03 PM
Jolly: Not knowing much about it, but from simply looking at it, I can see why the G-force created by such a contraption would be very very strong. Bob

Yeah - with fuel, it takes time for speed to climb to it's peak. When mechanically launching a fuel-free rocket, it starts with max speed at launch and slowly loses that speed...well, that's what I think anyway  :-??

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 16, 2022, 03:31:20 PM
=))

I do. Unfortunately, due to protection of proprietary information, it is something I am not at liberty to discuss in terms of products we design, build/procure, integrate and test. However, one of my colleagues describes how we build reliability into our products in order to meet our customers' most demanding needs (see below). In terms of electronics, which is a focus area of mine, part of it is using durable components but the secrets are often in the actual design and, in particular, the requirements which define all form, fit and functional characteristics of the product, leveraging the Systems Engineering Industry Best Practices to ensure both complete and quality requirements which translate into products we deliver that meet customers' needs. One other area I'll point you to is the rigorous testing that is performed on the product which verifies we have met the customers' and products' requirements as well as drive defects out of the product (i.e. build in reliability).

Here is the article I was referring to as it pertains to Systems Engineering and a rigorous Automated Test Procedure which contains a multi-faceted Environmental Stress Screening battery of individual tests which wring out the weak areas in the product build. After multiple iterations of doing this, in the early phases of the Product Life Cycle (e.g. Engineering-Manufacturing Development, or EMD), the product maturity, to include its manufacturing processes and overall risk mitigated sufficiently to begin the low-rate initial production (LRIP) and lock down the design.

https://militaryembedded.com/radar-ew/thermal-management/the-stress-screening-ess-reliability

Speaking in generalities, any Circuit Card Assembly (CCA) or Electronics Component Assembly (ECA) must both pass through this rigorous degree of testing AND its impact to the overall life of the product must be minimized.

I hope this helps.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)