News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you had to make the decision on Daniel Jones right now....

Started by DaveBrown74, October 26, 2022, 10:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the below options would you go with if you had to make a decision today

DaveBrown74

Quote from: todge on October 30, 2022, 11:36:01 AMI'm sure that Daboll has plugged in the tapes of DJs rookie season where he did flourish in a passing offense. The coaches also see him in practices that we aren't privy to.

I know that you believe the Giants are waiting to see what happens. But I don't agree with that. I think they have made up their minds and are negotiating off line with DJs agent as to the next steps. They'll extend him at some point this year or wait until the off season. Either way I just can't buy they will be looking for other options after having so much success so far this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so just to be clear: your view is that the decision to keep Jones has already been firmly made and that the rest of this season, including both his ability to remain healthy as well as his performance, does not matter in any way, even if one or both of those go poorly.

Is that correct?

y_so_blu

I would tag him. I love what he's doing, but I want to know if he can sustain it before I make the multi-year commitment.

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: y_so_blu on October 30, 2022, 02:07:19 PMI would tag him. I love what he's doing, but I want to know if he can sustain it before I make the multi-year commitment.
Y

The tag would eat up to much money and not allow JS to go after other players he needs to bolsters this team's talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Fire

You could also sign him multiyear with a lower year 1 cap hit. For instance Dak is 'only' counting 19M vs the cap year 1 of his big deal.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Rambo89

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 30, 2022, 03:22:50 PMYou could also sign him multiyear with a lower year 1 cap hit. For instance Dak is 'only' counting 19M vs the cap year 1 of his big deal.

You could but that's not the way Joe Schoen operates or what the school of thought he believes in operates by.  If there ever came a point where the Giants had to win that season to save his job maybe he would do that but in Year 2 coming off this season.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 30, 2022, 03:27:46 PMYou could but that's not the way Joe Schoen operates or what the school of thought he believes in operates by.  If there ever came a point where the Giants had to win that season to save his job maybe he would do that but in Year 2 coming off this season.

Exactly. A move like that sounds like the furthest thing from everything Schoen has indicated (and shown in his actions so far) that he believes in.

Blue Fire

So wait to sign Jones to a multiyear deal with a possible lower year 1 cap hit is a bad idea if he keeps trending the way he has this year?

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 30, 2022, 03:34:29 PMSo wait to sign Jones to a multiyear deal with a possible lower year 1 cap hit is a bad idea if he keeps trending the way he has this year?

You don't backload contracts when you're rebuilding. You do that when you're right on the doorstep of being a SB team and looking to do whatever it takes to get over the hump in the very short term, even at the expense of future years. That's not us right now.

Rambo89

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 30, 2022, 03:34:29 PMSo wait to sign Jones to a multiyear deal with a possible lower year 1 cap hit is a bad idea if he keeps trending the way he has this year?

It's not something this GM believes in kicking the salary cap can down the road.  He believes in having flexibility from year to year not going all in for one season.  Again if his job was on the line and he had to yeah then he probably does it but not before that happened.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18