News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Reality Sets in

Started by Ed Vette, October 30, 2022, 07:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Fire

Giants beat themselves today and so did a lack of a receiving game.

After the bye we got Gates and maybe Neal back soon.

Hopefully the trade deadline brings us help to our weakest unit.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

DaveBrown74

I'm glad the trade deadline is less than 48 hours away so we can stop talking about it 300x a day on this forum, no matter what happens or doesn't happen. It's getting pretty repetitive. How about we just let the deadline come and see what happens?

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on October 30, 2022, 09:37:30 PMI'm glad the trade deadline is less than 48 hours away so we can stop talking about it 300x a day on this forum, no matter what happens or doesn't happen. It's getting pretty repetitive. How about we just let the deadline come and see what happens?

Trade deadline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Slugsy-Narrows on October 30, 2022, 11:38:45 PM
Trade deadline

Exactly.

GloryDays

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2022, 08:02:55 PMIf they played Dallas or Philly it would have been a total embarrassment. Seattle didn't beat them, the Giants beat themselves.

I think Seattle is a very good team capable of beating anyone. As others have said, eventhough we didn't play well in all phases, take those two James' fumbles away and this would still be a game they might have won.. but the fumbles did happen and a weakness was exposed there.
They will learn from this loss and will be a better team going forward.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kartanoman on October 30, 2022, 09:12:33 PMEliminate those two James' fumbled returns and it's either a one score game in the Giants' or Seahawks' favor. We can break down the ineffectiveness of the offense, as a whole, or individually, but at least they were still in the game. This is far better than running a quarterback sneak off your own goal lie as an offensive strategy.

You feed the 12th Man through turnovers and false starts. Anything else that goes wrong only amplifies the situation. The Giants did those things but were still in the game thanks to those clock-eating drives. But give the home team an inch, they'll take a mile every time and today was no different.

I agree with the folks who recommend they just go home, buckle their chinstrap, prepare and get ready for next week. Can't worry about the Eagles and Cowboys right now; they line up against Houston next week which offers them a chance to get back on the winner's list if they can correct those mistakes.

Hat's off to those of you who predicted 6-2. The second half of the season will be far more challenging but you'd think there's no reason why they can't win four or five of the next nine. Let's see how it plays out.

Peace!

I don't think the Giants were well prepared for the 12th man.   That noise seemed to visibly cause a negative impact on the offense.  From the obvious penalties to the slow of the snap outer guys (as Mark Sanchez pointed out) to DJ struggling to call things out and even get the ball off on time, I have seen teams handle the noise better than that.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: GloryDays on October 31, 2022, 02:53:08 AMI think Seattle is a very good team capable of beating anyone. As others have said, eventhough we didn't play well in all phases, take those two James' fumbles away and this would still be a game they might have won.. but the fumbles did happen and a weakness was exposed there.
They will learn from this loss and will be a better team going forward.

I think this is a good point about James's fumbles IMO had they not happened it would have been closer.  But I still don't think they win only putting up 6 offensive points when you think about it.  They couldn't even score a TD when Seattle was playing prevent defense.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

T200

Does anyone feel that the absence of Kadarius on the team had something to do with the loss? No? It's just me?  :-??

/sarcasm/  =))
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: T200 on October 31, 2022, 08:18:03 AMDoes anyone feel that the absence of Kadarius on the team had something to do with the loss? No? It's just me?  :-??

/sarcasm/  =))
Who

Philosophers

We're 6-2 and can easily be 3-5.  I onow we have a lot more work to do to be a complete, dangerous playoff team.  Just appreciate we can use the wors playoffs after week 8.

jgrangers2

Quote from: Philosophers on October 31, 2022, 11:01:53 AMWe're 6-2 and can easily be 3-5.  I onow we have a lot more work to do to be a complete, dangerous playoff team.  Just appreciate we can use the wors playoffs after week 8.

That first sentence is so key. I know people love the Parcells quote, but sometimes you outplay your talent. This team has been hanging by a thread in each of their six wins and, overall, we're still probably closer to a team like the Lions than we are to a team like the Eagles. Yesterday showed how if you take away our run game, our offense is basically bad.

The funny thing is that, with the Texans and Lions coming up after the bye, 8-2 is not at all unreasonable, but the final 7 games after that are brutal with five division games and a trip to Minnesota on the schedule. Reality was always going to set in at some point but I am happy that the Giants look like they're on the right path with the best coaching staff they've had since the Coughlin years.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Ed Vette on October 30, 2022, 08:02:55 PMIf they played Dallas or Philly it would have been a total embarrassment. Seattle didn't beat them, the Giants beat themselves.

I think that some were deceived by a gaudy 6-1 record that could, and maybe should, have been more like 3-4 or 4-3.  IMO THAT is the level of our talent.  The coaching has been excellent and it has kept them in games, but coaching didn't make the Titans kicker miss a 47 harder nor did it make Gano thread a 56 harder.  One can enjoy the 6-1 ride without being deluded by it.  And now Seattle is the first quality team they've played that didn't self-destruct.  I don't think it was so much the Giants beating themselves as Seattle NOT beating themselves, as our other opponents have.

On the plus side, last year they weren't even good enough to pick up the gift when an opponent tried to beat themselves.  They've made tremendous progress and that's what really counts.  But it is an illusion to think that this team has the roster to make any real noise play-off wise. And rather than focus on the record, even while we enjoy it, I focus on the deeper progress which should give us great encouragement and positivity for what this team can be with the expected infusion of talent this off-season.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Blue Fire

Quote from: jgrangers2 on October 31, 2022, 12:21:29 PMThat first sentence is so key. I know people love the Parcells quote, but sometimes you outplay your talent. This team has been hanging by a thread in each of their six wins and, overall, we're still probably closer to a team like the Lions than we are to a team like the Eagles. Yesterday showed how if you take away our run game, our offense is basically bad.

The funny thing is that, with the Texans and Lions coming up after the bye, 8-2 is not at all unreasonable, but the final 7 games after that are brutal with five division games and a trip to Minnesota on the schedule. Reality was always going to set in at some point but I am happy that the Giants look like they're on the right path with the best coaching staff they've had since the Coughlin years.

What jumps this team up the most? I think with the OL continuing to gel and some injuries (IOL is still suspect but can get better) it's the WR spot. If we add a guy here that is better than our current this could make a big jump for this team. It probably wont be a guy on the level of what Tua, Josh (in year 3), Lawrence (Kirk), Hurts(Aj Brown), Murray (Hopkins) etc. but it will definitely help Dj to have something to throw to and give us a semblance of a passing game.

I think Ralph as a respected beat is reporting this very thing. We have recognized the need and want to add to this group.

We are made righteous in Christ through his obedience made complete on the Cross , dying to the flesh and being completely made new through his resurrection.

Likewise we can now put off the former perspective of unholiness and put on his perfect garment of righteousness!

Rambo89

Quote from: Blue Fire on October 31, 2022, 12:37:18 PMWhat jumps this team up the most? I think with the OL continuing to gel and some injuries (IOL is still suspect but can get better) it's the WR spot. If we add a guy here that is better than our current this could make a big jump for this team. It probably wont be a guy on the level of what Tua, Josh (in year 3), Lawrence (Kirk), Hurts(Aj Brown), Murray (Hopkins) etc. but it will definitely help Dj to have something to throw to and give us a semblance of a passing game.

I think Ralph as a respected beat is reporting this very thing. We have recognized the need and want to add to this group.

What Ralph reported is Joe Schoen doing his due diligence as the GM to gauge what the market is.  He also probably looked into the costs for those players to get a gauge on what would be fair asking price for Toney.  It's what any GM in any sport does and a lot of times fans take these reports as something they aren't.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Ed Vette

As I said in another thread, The Seahawks were well prepared and coached for this game and took away most everything the Giants were doing. The first game the Giants were out-coached. Still they could have made plays and they could have not beat themselves on return fumbles that put 10 points on the board for Seattle and took away any potential points on those drives.

They couldn't run the ball and it's not just because Bellinger whom I'm a fan of was out. They ran 55% of their runs by Barkley LE and RE. They average 28%. Yes, Hudson can't block a 12 year old but it had minimal impact on the run game. The middle was clogged from Tackle to Tackle. Wasn't Barkley's fault. He had his third best running day of the season 72.6. With the exception of Feleciano, every other Offensive Line Player was beaten at the LOS on Run Plays and had a grade of less than 60 PFF.

That doesn't mean that they didn't have opportunities in the passing game. Hudson Slayton and Myarick all had grades over 70 with Hudson leading with a 76.2. The Offensive Line had their best Pass Blocking day with a 80.0 and the only exception was Ezeudu. Daniel Jones however had his worst passing day of the season with a 44.4. So when you saw him hit the underneath on those mesh routes while the Over was wide open, it wasn't your eyes. There had to be opportunities missed this game. I think we all lose sight of the fact that the QB makes reads and too often Jones goes to the easier, the checkdown or the primary receiver. I didn't pay for NFL Gameday and the Coaches all 22 but I have to believe there are deeper options than what they are taking. Especially on 3rd and long. The men in the booth have to see this and communicate it down to the field and yes, Jones needs to read the field better. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin