News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Devon Witherspoon: 'We knew he liked to stare down his first target'

Started by True Blue, October 03, 2023, 01:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True Blue

They knew it, they were ready, and we did exactly what they wanted.

Seahawks' Devon Witherspoon latest to rip Daniel Jones: 'We knew he liked to stare down his first target'

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-devon-witherspoon-latest-to-rip-daniel-jones-we-knew-he-liked-to-stare-down-his-first-target/

Devon Witherspoon and the Seattle Seahawks defense had a dominant night against the New York Giants offense, specifically torturing Daniel Jones over the course of the game. Witherspoon had two sacks and an interception return for a touchdown -- the first Seahawks player to accomplish that feat in a game.

Witherspoon's pick-six for a score essentially ended the Giants comeback attempt late in the third quarter and caused a viral sideline moment between Jones and head coach Brian Daboll.

The Seahawks rookie cornerback easily read the route and took the ball 97 yards the other way for the score. Witherspoon admitted after the game it was easy to decipher where Jones was going, and it helped lead to a franchise-record 11 sacks.

"We knew he liked to stare down his first target," Witherspoon told NFL Network after the game. "We were just trusting the game plan the coaches laid out for us. He had his back turned and a lot of guys were winning the one-on-one matchups up front. Without them, we couldn't make the plays that we made."

Rambo89

"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

PSUBeirut

Not sure what Jordan is trying to prove there.  To my eyes it's obvious that there are CLEARLY 3 better options than Parris Campbell in that moment- Wandale, Waller, and Hodgins- with Wandale and Waller both much better reads right in his line of sight.  Really no excusing this one.

Trench

To anyone who questions if Danny Dump It Off doesn't lock o receiver and doesn't think it makes a difference, that quote begs to differ.

True Blue

Quote from: Trench on October 03, 2023, 03:39:24 PMTo anyone who questions if Danny Dump It Off doesn't lock o receiver and doesn't think it makes a difference, that quote begs to differ.

It was literally it in their gameplan, it's too obvious.

Teams have tape on us from last year, it worked when they didn't, now that dink and  dunk stuff ain't gonna work as much. Although it has looked worse this year too, the locking on seems a bit more obvious.

Daboll has a great plan last year to minimize and disguise DJs flaws. Teams are privy to it now so they are making DJ uncomfortable by taking that away.

This isn't Dodgeball we aren't gonna dodge, duck, dip dive and dodge our way to victory again when teams are ready for it. Changes are needed

T200

Quote from: PSUBeirut on October 03, 2023, 01:52:07 PMNot sure what Jordan is trying to prove there.  To my eyes it's obvious that there are CLEARLY 3 better options than Parris Campbell in that moment- Wandale, Waller, and Hodgins- with Wandale and Waller both much better reads right in his line of sight.  Really no excusing this one.
Jordan needs to clean his glasses... or get some.

All Jones had to do was toss it over Campbell and Witherspoon. TD Giants.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Football is a dynamic sport, I don't know what the point is of using static pictures when you have the dynamic picture available

https://x.com/NextGenStats/status/1709036253868704051?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

If he tosses that over Campbell's and Witherspoon's heads, it's a TD. The animation clearly shows it.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 03, 2023, 03:50:31 PMFootball is a dynamic sport, I don't know what the point is of using static pictures when you have the dynamic picture available

https://x.com/NextGenStats/status/1709036253868704051?s=20

Absolutely, it's how a lot of QB's make plays anticipating plays releasing the ball before a receiver breaks their route or gets to a spot where the route is designed to go.  Not everything is a first read for half the field in the NFL the way it is in the ACC.

Messiah717

Someone tell Daniel Jones and the Giants coaching staff that Waller is 6'6".  Throw it and let him go up and get it.  It's like having Mike Evans and not using his height advantage over mostly all defenders.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Messiah717 on October 03, 2023, 04:16:35 PMSomeone tell Daniel Jones and the Giants coaching staff that Waller is 6'6".  Throw it and let him go up and get it.  It's like having Mike Evans and not using his height advantage over mostly all defenders.

To my eye, Jones has never displayed an ability to throw those kinds of passes, especially in the redzone. The fade is not in his repertoire. I'm not an expert, but I see virtually nothing but fastballs from Jones.

Rambo89

PSUBeirut

And just watch those little defender blobs instantly move to the offense's left off the snap....  wonder why....

And here's an interesting question- how in the hell is Campbell/slot the first read on this play with only 2 defenders clearly on that side of the field pre-snap?  Seems like common sense that Waller or Wandale would be the 1st read- ie, as soon as Waller has his leverage and the defender in his pocket and CB #27 moves Wandale's direction, the read should be straightforward.  I know he's got pressure, as always, but he's now a veteran QB who has studied and studied and studied...knows this play and has run it before in practice, etc.  I just don't get it.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

Quote from: T200 on October 03, 2023, 03:54:42 PMIf he tosses that over Campbell's and Witherspoon's heads, it's a TD. The animation clearly shows it.

Not only that...but if he panics and decides screw this I'm just getting rid of this thing before the OL collapses he has an open Wandale out wide.  Even if he doesn't get the TD it's an easy completion and they live for 3rd down.  He did the only thing he absolutely couldn't do on that play.  I get Daboll's frustration.  There's simply no excuse.