News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Caleb Williams ‘ain’t gonna make it’ with Giants after crying in stands

Started by brownelvis54, November 10, 2023, 02:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

It's certainly going to be discussed in his interviews and it will be considered in his evaluation for many teams if not all. I don't know enough about him yet to make any definitive statements as to his resilience and intestinal fortitude. He's a gifted Athlete among some inferior talent but the game speeds up exponentially at this level. He's still going to be drafted in the top three when all is said and done.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

USC doesn't have the talent people think they do. They have a good RB, and that's it. The defense is horrible as is the offense the only person they have is Caleb Williams. I don't know that they win 2+ games the past two seasons without him.

With that being said it's a little much.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 10, 2023, 03:47:55 PMSure, let's just make broad, sweeping, ridiculous, and totally insulting generalizations about a huge group of people based entirely on where they happen to call home.

I'm a born and raised New Yorker and proud of it. I know plenty of amazing people here. Normally I would consider a remark like this to be unfairly prejudicial and offensive, but this one happens to be so unbelievably ignorant and stupid that it's more comedic to me than anything else.

I also find it ironic, because anyone who just belittles entire groups of people without any sort of provocation or sound rationale is more likely the one with the anger problem than those he is belittling.

I was born and raised there and lived/worked half of my career in NYC.  It's not like I have not experienced it.  Obviously not saying everyone and I know you know that.

Tell me what Giants fans think of Philadelphia Eagles fans or LA fans.  Any generalizations there?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on November 10, 2023, 05:19:51 PMI was born and raised there and lived/worked half of my career in NYC.  It's not like I have not experienced it.  Obviously not saying everyone and I know you know that.

Tell me what Giants fans think of Philadelphia Eagles fans or LA fans.  Any generalizations there?

I would say there is a difference between two rival fanbases not liking each other given each supports a team the other hates, and making huge generalizations about millions of people living in a particular place. Given New York is one of the most diverse large cities in the world, by definition there are all kinds of different people and I would push back hard on the claim that the predominant trait is cowardice masquerading as false bravado. New Yorkers have exhibited bona fide bravery and backbone on countless occasions, usually when the stakes are highest.

I will give you that we're not the best drivers, so maybe your example about the broken down car has a whiff of merit in that sense.

I have no clue what Giants fans think of LA Rams or Chargers fans. I didn't realize anyone cared about them or had a strong opinion.

bobalobabingbong

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 10, 2023, 05:40:42 PMI would say there is a difference between two rival fanbases not liking each other given each supports a team the other hates, and making huge generalizations about millions of people living in a particular place. Given New York is one of the most diverse large cities in the world, by definition there are all kinds of different people and I would push back hard on the claim that the predominant trait is cowardice masquerading as false bravado. New Yorkers have exhibited bona fide bravery and backbone on countless occasions, usually when the stakes are highest.

I will give you that we're not the best drivers, so maybe your example about the broken down car has a whiff of merit in that sense.

I have no clue what Giants fans think of LA Rams or Chargers fans. I didn't realize anyone cared about them or had a strong opinion.
Man I used to think New Yorkers were bad drivers.  Until I moved to Kentucky. 

As far as the crying goes, I could not care any less. I've seen people handle stressful and exciting things many different ways.  Violence, anger, excitement, poise.  Not everyone is the same.  I'm not going to judge somebody I don't know based off of the emotion he showed after a tough loss. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
- Dan

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

AYM

He just doesn't seem like the type of guy Mara would allow to be the face of the franchise.

Dgoodmantrublu

Not a face of the franchise type comments have an undertone I find disturbing.

katkavage

Quote from: AYM on November 10, 2023, 09:40:09 PMHe just doesn't seem like the type of guy Mara would allow to be the face of the franchise.
And that right there, if true, is why the Giants can never be an elite franchise if he makes those kind of calls.

Gmo11

At least he gives a crap. I'll take a QB that cares that much over one that can immediately forget any day. He dragged that team kicking and screaming to the brink of a huge win almost single handedly and if he could have gotten even the slightest bit of help from his defense at any point they probably do win. Thanks to him. It's gotta be exhausting and frustrating.

The game was over. It wasn't like he was sobbing midway through the 3rd quarter. He gave it everything he had and when it was over he got emotional. The Giants would be lucky to have him on the team next year.

MagicRat

I don't know enough of the guy or the incident to comment meaningfully.
Generally, I have no issue with sports people showing emotion.
I've cried plenty times watching the Giants, usually after a win.

What concerns me about this specific scenario is, this guy is the team leader.
 After a tough loss, his thought should be about his teammates and how they are.

"Heads up guys, that was a great effort but we came up short, we go again next week." Or something along those lines.

Now, I say that without knowing everything, but while it's OK to be emotional, as a leader his first duty is to his teammates.

Smell my cheese you mother!

B1GBLUE

th
Quote from: brownelvis54 on November 10, 2023, 03:38:00 PMWatch: USC QB Caleb Williams fumbles the football while trying to evade a sack, resulting in his 30th career fumble

That was the 30th fumble committed by the Trojans quarterback in his CFB career so far, the most in FBS since 2021. Nonetheless, the Huskies took advantage of the turnover and registered a touchdown to take a 7-point lead just before the end of the 1st half. The Huskies had a great second quarter as they completely outplayed the Trojans and scored 28 points in one quarter.

https://firstsportz.com/nfl-news-caleb-williams-fumbles-football/

this is one of my bigger concerns about him. these fumbles happen to him when hes dancing around like a backup michael jackson dancer. if its that bad in college football, against teams who 99% of guys wont make the nfl, you can rest assured it will be WAY worse in the NFL. We all hated jones for his fumbling problem early in his career right? why on earth would you salivate over the guy with the MOST fumbles in college football. I just dont get that.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AYM on November 10, 2023, 09:40:09 PMHe just doesn't seem like the type of guy Mara would allow to be the face of the franchise.

Can you be more specific? Williams has no disciplinary history or any other significant problems. He's been a star on the field. He seems personable. I don't get where the negativity is coming from. I'd love to know.

When I hear "doesn't seem like the type Mara would want to be the face of the franchise" about someone who has done nothing wrong (at least that anyone knows about), I have to say, it makes me wonder what the person making that claim is really thinking.

y_so_blu

This is the last QB prospect I'd want to put in front of the New York media. Hell, I'm not sure he could handle the Twin Cities media--and the Vikings fans here have internalized losing. It's much harder to swallow when you root for a franchise in the city of cities that has won eight total championships and expects more in the future.

katkavage

I'm not sure Williams is the guy, but these are foolish assumptions. It's amateurish evaluation like this (he cried after a loss) that help other teams find great players who slip because of those evaluations that have nothing to do with the talent on the field.

TDToomer

Since we are throwing out generalizations here's some more. Crying is something I expect in soccer not football. Football players can hide their emotions in their helmets and most don't want to been seen showing themselves as fragile or bothered. In Soccer it's accepted like Neymar of Brazil whether it is a win or loss.

Philly fans are borderline criminals
LA fans are too passive and can't even give the Chargers a home field advantage
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs