News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do you see Tommy DeVito doing for the Giants in 2024?

Started by DaveBrown74, November 19, 2023, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think DeVito will be doing for the Giants in 2024?

BluesCruz

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 21, 2023, 10:14:33 AMI'm not going to drink too much Kool-Aid just yet, we've had a spring/summer of that and we are landed in pickle.

I just hope he can develop into a decent back-up, so we can have a cheap option to mitigate some of the dead money we will eat Jones (eventually).

Backing up who?  A guy who cannot bring himelf to throw downfield and has 2 or 3 TD passes in more than half a season? 

Let Devito finish the season and lets see where the chips have fallen

Right now Devito has proven to be far more effective as a starter with the same roster

Daboll looked extremely uncomfortable and had trouble saying anything good about Devito in his presser

Daboll should be kissing Devito's feet. The young stud might be the one to save Dabolls career as a HC.  I understand how hard it is to admit you were wrong about offering Jones the big contract but "The best laid plans of mice and men.....etc"

Dont ignore your possible savior.  Right now Daniel Jones equals Dave Brown.....a lost cause
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 21, 2023, 12:40:51 PMBacking up who?  A guy who cannot bring himelf to throw downfield and has 2 or 3 TD passes in more than half a season? 

Let Devito finish the season and lets see where the chips have fallen

Right now Devito has proven to be far more effective as a starter with the same roster

Daboll looked extremely uncomfortable and had trouble saying anything good about Devito in his presser

Daboll should be kissing Devito's feet. The young stud might be the one to save Dabolls career as a HC.  I understand how hard it is to admit you were wrong about offering Jones the big contract but "The best laid plans of mice and men.....etc"

Dont ignore your possible savior.  Right now Daniel Jones equals Dave Brown.....a lost cause

I wasn't wrong about the Jones contract - I was correct with my worries and I stated that they have a favourable exit after next year. I stated this in the cartwheeling thread when he signed.

DeVito played well against Washington. Do I think he's a starter in the NFL? I'm not going to say that after 1 good game.

I hope the Giants draft the franchise QB of the future in April.

If you think I'm one of those who were blinded by 3,200 yards and 22 TDs - you're massively incorrect.

Jolly Blue Giant

I see him as knocking Tyrod off the team and being no. 2 behind DJ. Devito doesn't have all the physical characteristics of the ideal QB...but he has that intangible, "he's got game". He plays with heart and will play to win no matter what, and that's a mentality that DJ need to acquire. Devito is going to have a limited shelf life though, based on his build coupled with his daring, but a damn nice guy on the bench when you need him...IMHO
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

The issue with retaining DeVito is it is going to be a little tricky to do that if they draft a QB.

Jones, as we know, isn't going anywhere. The Giants couldn't move him if they wanted to. Nobody is taking him off our hands. His contract is a disaster given his performance and clear inability to avoid very serious injuries almost every year.

So if you draft a QB, and you're stuck with Jones, the only way to keep DeVito is to roster him on day one (which they might do). That would mean rostering three QBs, which is not something they usually do and would mean cutting down on another position. No shot DeVito clears waivers this time. So it's either roster him or he is on another team (if they draft someone).

No point in crying over spilt milk, but it really is a shame we have this albatross of a contract with Jones. Tagging him would have been so much better. We could then just move on free and clear, draft a top QB prospect, and proceed with DeVito as a dirt-cheap but still competent backup.

Jclayton92

Schoen and Daboll would lose this team immediately if they trot Jones back out there next year after a journeyman backup, and a rookie from Syracuse easily outplayed him.

They would lose the team before the season even started. The players aren't dumb, they know Jones can't play and even though he's a nice guy they want to win and have good stats. They get neither of those things with Jones playing.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 21, 2023, 02:15:31 PMSchoen and Daboll would lose this team immediately if they trot Jones back out there next year after a journeyman backup, and a rookie from Syracuse easily outplayed him.

They would lose the team before the season even started. The players aren't dumb, they know Jones can't play and even though he's a nice guy they want to win and have good stats. They get neither of those things with Jones playing.

From everything I've ever read, the players love DJ. I've read that over and over. Never once read anything different
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Dgoodmantrublu

The Giants starter will be rookie first round QB. If they can't get Maye, it will be Jayden Daniels or JJ McCarthy. Jones will be the backup.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on November 21, 2023, 02:54:27 PMFrom everything I've ever read, the players love DJ. I've read that over and over. Never once read anything different
I'm sure they do, loving him as a friend and teammate has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to play Qb at a high level. This is their job and you think they want below average quarterback play to continue? Hyatts rookie year is wasted with Jones, as is us getting Waller, and Robinsons 2nd year development. Jones can't play qb at a high level to get those guys the ball.

I've said it from the beginning, Jones is a great guy but being a great guy doesn't win football games. Especially when 2nd and 3rd string Qbs are easily outplaying you in your 5th year. When your greatest accomplishment in 5 years is 3200 yards and 15 tds your a bad quarterback. There is nothing left to see, there's nothing anyone else really cares to see from Jones. We all know who he is at this point, and that's a decent backup, not in the top tier with Brissett, Minshew, Dalton, but one below that in the Bridgewater, Darnold, Trubisky backup tier.

ralphpal1

Jones did win a playoff game
That carries some weight with the players
Lets see what devito does
This is actually life changing for devito
If he plays good enough he can stick around as a backup and make millions
The pressure he has is crazy

kartanoman

This Daniel Jones = Dave Brown stuff has to stop. We're supposed to be informed Giants fans and know better that those two are different scenarios connected but the same school and what looks to be the dame outcome.

Is DeVito coming off the bench the same as Danny Kanell in 1996-97? I sure hope not! You get a Divisional crown built by the defense while the offense implodes in the end (as did the defense in the Wild Card game). We don't need that scenario to repeat itself.

DeVito is raw but exciting; however, he's no Brock Purdy. Now, put DeVito in San Francisco .... hmmm.

Just get the damned offensive line, and its coaching staff fixed, once and for all. Integrate it into Kafka and Daboll's offensive strategy and make it the strength it was during the Manning Super Bowl years.

As for the injuries, enough of the Ronnie Barnes stuff. Players are getting pushed onto other players' knees, ankles, etc. and are fracturing bones, in addition to ligament tears. It has been a brutal season in the trenches this year with injuries. But as bad as the Giants have been, Giant opponents have fared worse. Look at last week in Washington or the Jet game as examples. I'm digressing a bit but my point is that Jones is now a diminished asset due to cumulative injury and that's another factor which will work against him.

But back to DeVito, he should use this opportunity to develop his craft and shoot for a chance to make it as a back-up, one day, for the Giants or another NFL team. He still has a way to go and will need a few more years. But his wow factor cannot be denied and this is his chance to build his NFL video collection for interested coaches.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

We should play this exercise again after the NE game.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

DaveBrown74

One thing that's interesting about this poll is the majority of responders think DeVito will be the backup next year.

That may indeed prove to be true, but the logistics of that happening seem tricky IF the Giants draft a QB. If they don't draft a QB and decide to roll it out again with Jones as the starter, then it's straightforward enough for DeVito to be the backup if they want him to be. They can walk away from Taylor and just make it happen.

What if they draft a QB though? Let's say (hypothetically obviously) that they lose out or lose all but one of the remainder of their games and find themselves picking in the top two. And they take a QB with that pick. Jones isn't going anywhere next year with that cap hit he has and coming off an ACL and a season in which he was terrible before the ACL too. Nobody is taking him off our hands.

So how will DeVito be the backup if they draft a QB? Are they really going to carry three QBs on the active roster, something they simply never do? Would Jones be the number three QB with a $47mm cap hit? Will they make a rookie drafted in the top two overall third on the depth chart? Because one thing is for sure: unless he absolutely looks pathetic from here out, DeVito ain't clearing waivers this year and won't be on our practice squad. He's either going to be rostered with us or someone else.

I voted that DeVito will be the backup, but I'm really wondering about my selection. I think there's a chance he may not be a Giant next year. We will have Jones' horrific contract to thank for that, if that happens.

If it's us, and he's the backup, and we draft a QB, how is that going to happen exactly?

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 23, 2023, 10:44:25 AMOne thing that's interesting about this poll is the majority of responders think DeVito will be the backup next year.

That may indeed prove to be true, but the logistics of that happening seem tricky IF the Giants draft a QB. If they don't draft a QB and decide to roll it out again with Jones as the starter, then it's straightforward enough for DeVito to be the backup if they want him to be. They can walk away from Taylor and just make it happen.

What if they draft a QB though? Let's say (hypothetically obviously) that they lose out or lose all but one of the remainder of their games and find themselves picking in the top two. And they take a QB with that pick. Jones isn't going anywhere next year with that cap hit he has and coming off an ACL and a season in which he was terrible before the ACL too. Nobody is taking him off our hands.

So how will DeVito be the backup if they draft a QB? Are they really going to carry three QBs on the active roster, something they simply never do? Would Jones be the number three QB with a $47mm cap hit? Will they make a rookie drafted in the top two overall third on the depth chart? Because one thing is for sure: unless he absolutely looks pathetic from here out, DeVito ain't clearing waivers this year and won't be on our practice squad. He's either going to be rostered with us or someone else.

I voted that DeVito will be the backup, but I'm really wondering about my selection. I think there's a chance he may not be a Giant next year. We will have Jones' horrific contract to thank for that, if that happens.

If it's us, and he's the backup, and we draft a QB, how is that going to happen exactly?
If they draft a QB, then DeVito will be the backup until Jones returns and then Tommy will develop a hangnail and go on IR. Unless Tommy is just a flash in the pan and all the Tommy Bashing was justified. They roll the dice on him.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 23, 2023, 10:44:25 AMOne thing that's interesting about this poll is the majority of responders think DeVito will be the backup next year.

DB,

I think the result will be based on a number of factors:

- How TD Tommy plays out the season. Not so much winning games but how he plays in them.

- I strongly feel Jones won't be ready by camp or the beginning of the season. If he's close to being ready to start the season, I don't see them rushing him out there. However, that will depend largely on how the rookie and TD Tommy look in camp and preseason. If it's a good battle and they both look relatively good, Jones will wait. If they look like trash, they may push Jones to get ready sooner rather than later.

TD Tommy will be the Week 1 starter unless he just stinks it up for the rest of the year and camp/preseason. They may very well carry three QBs.

In the end, it all comes down to how Tommy does. His play will be the big determining factor.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 23, 2023, 10:53:47 AMIf they draft a QB, then DeVito will be the backup until Jones returns and then Tommy will develop a hangnail and go on IR. Unless Tommy is just a flash in the pan and all the Tommy Bashing was justified. They roll the dice on him.

So Jones starts the season on the IR, even if he's good to go? I guess that could be one way to get from point A to point B.