News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Free Agent Right Tackles

Started by Brooklyn Dave, November 27, 2023, 10:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brooklyn Dave

These are from my research the free agent Right Tackles in 2024. Do any of them make your hearet flutter ?

Trenton Brown
James Hurst
uemunor
George Fant
Billy Turner
Kendall Lamm
Germaine Hedl
David Quessenberry

coggs

The thing about free agency is you are going to be disappointed.  If the player was really worth the money they get, their original team would have already locked them up.  If you are just looking for an upgrade over Neal, that is one thing.  If you are expecting one to come in AND turn out to be worth the money being paid, that is a tall order.  Secondly, unless they are coming off a serious injury or are on the back-9, they are not going to come here on a 1-year deal.  Going to have to give the player 3-4 years and structure it so you can get out after 2.  That requires a decent amount of guaranteed money

Dgoodmantrublu

Value is usually better at guard than tackle. That's where I'd go. Then I'd look to draft another tackle at some point in the draft. Find a real OL coach who can get Neal coached up. I know there is a player in there. He's not the same guy as he was in college.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on November 27, 2023, 11:20:48 AMThe thing about free agency is you are going to be disappointed.  If the player was really worth the money they get, their original team would have already locked them up.  If you are just looking for an upgrade over Neal, that is one thing.  If you are expecting one to come in AND turn out to be worth the money being paid, that is a tall order.  Secondly, unless they are coming off a serious injury or are on the back-9, they are not going to come here on a 1-year deal.  Going to have to give the player 3-4 years and structure it so you can get out after 2.  That requires a decent amount of guaranteed money

Good points. I agree that FA signings are usually overpays and frequently lead to disappointment relative to expectations. Obviously guys like Golladay and Solder are extreme examples of this, but you see it on the smaller scale too. Look at Parris Campbell for example. Some Giants fans talked themselves into a belief that he'd be a legitimately solid player for us.

Dgoodmantrublu

Bobby Okereke was a free agent. He's our best linebacker in years. He's a complete stud. Campbell was a stop gap. He was here until a rookie developed and as a hedge against Wan'Dale's recovery.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 27, 2023, 12:06:55 PMGood points. I agree that FA signings are usually overpays and frequently lead to disappointment relative to expectations. Obviously guys like Golladay and Solder are extreme examples of this, but you see it on the smaller scale too. Look at Parris Campbell for example. Some Giants fans talked themselves into a belief that he'd be a legitimately solid player for us.

coggs

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 27, 2023, 12:27:03 PMBobby Okereke was a free agent. He's our best linebacker in years. He's a complete stud. Campbell was a stop gap. He was here until a rookie developed and as a hedge against Wan'Dale's recovery.

Our best LB in years?  Not exactly top-notch competition by which he is being compared.  But again, he has done very little against the better teams.  Having a pick against a QB who would not start on our team does not make a season.  Not saying I have been disappointed with Okereke overall, but I did expect more.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 27, 2023, 12:27:03 PMBobby Okereke was a free agent. He's our best linebacker in years. He's a complete stud. Campbell was a stop gap. He was here until a rookie developed and as a hedge against Wan'Dale's recovery.

We have not had a good linebacker in ages (outside of one season of Martinez) so it's not a high bar. Okereke has been a good signing for sure and has lived up to expectations. I think it's harder to have great FA signings at premium positions like CB, WR, QB, EDGE, etc. Generally these lead to an element of disappointment. Generally doesn't mean always, obviously.

Dgoodmantrublu

Generally agree, except at corner. I feel like that is a position guys reach free agency more than at other spots. Though some good WRs are traded, so that is similar to free agency. OG is typically one of the best spots to find free agent success. So I'd look there. I'd also look at DT.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 27, 2023, 12:46:27 PMWe have not had a good linebacker in ages (outside of one season of Martinez) so it's not a high bar. Okereke has been a good signing for sure and has lived up to expectations. I think it's harder to have great FA signings at premium positions like CB, WR, QB, EDGE, etc. Generally these lead to an element of disappointment. Generally doesn't mean always, obviously.

coggs

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 27, 2023, 12:48:13 PMGenerally agree, except at corner. I feel like that is a position guys reach free agency more than at other spots. Though some good WRs are traded, so that is similar to free agency. OG is typically one of the best spots to find free agent success. So I'd look there. I'd also look at DT.

WR is tricky in free agency.  When you sign a FA expecting them to be your #2 or 3 you can do well.  Sometimes it is just a better fit.  The problem becomes when a guy has a huge year as the #2 and a team signs him with the expectation of being a 1.  I think of the trio we had of Nicks-Cruz-Manningham.  Together, scary as hell.  When you had them all on the field, very hard to cover all of them.  However, put one on a team where they have to be the top-dog, not sure they would have been successful without being part of a 3-headed monster attack. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 27, 2023, 12:48:13 PMGenerally agree, except at corner. I feel like that is a position guys reach free agency more than at other spots. Though some good WRs are traded, so that is similar to free agency. OG is typically one of the best spots to find free agent success. So I'd look there. I'd also look at DT.

Agree on OG. God knows we haven't been able to draft them (including Schoen), so we might as well just go out and buy a solid one. Which means spending potentially $10-$12mm AAV or so. Not $6mm on a crappy guy like Glowinski. If that's the caliber of player we're going to add in FA I'd rather just keep trying to draft them.

Dgoodmantrublu

When Nicks was healthy, he could have been a top dog in any situation. He was that good. I don't think the same about Cruz or Manningham.

Quote from: coggs on November 27, 2023, 12:54:09 PMWR is tricky in free agency.  When you sign a FA expecting them to be your #2 or 3 you can do well.  Sometimes it is just a better fit.  The problem becomes when a guy has a huge year as the #2 and a team signs him with the expectation of being a 1.  I think of the trio we had of Nicks-Cruz-Manningham.  Together, scary as hell.  When you had them all on the field, very hard to cover all of them.  However, put one on a team where they have to be the top-dog, not sure they would have been successful without being part of a 3-headed monster attack. 

Dgoodmantrublu

Yeah. I'd sign one expensive guard and then keep developing and drafting others.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 27, 2023, 12:58:13 PMAgree on OG. God knows we haven't been able to draft them (including Schoen), so we might as well just go out and buy a solid one. Which means spending potentially $10-$12mm AAV or so. Not $6mm on a crappy guy like Glowinski. If that's the caliber of player we're going to add in FA I'd rather just keep trying to draft them.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: coggs on November 27, 2023, 12:54:09 PMWR is tricky in free agency.  When you sign a FA expecting them to be your #2 or 3 you can do well.  Sometimes it is just a better fit.  The problem becomes when a guy has a huge year as the #2 and a team signs him with the expectation of being a 1.  I think of the trio we had of Nicks-Cruz-Manningham.  Together, scary as hell.  When you had them all on the field, very hard to cover all of them.  However, put one on a team where they have to be the top-dog, not sure they would have been successful without being part of a 3-headed monster attack. 

I'm not in any way saying this is untrue, because it totally makes sense, but can you think of any examples in the past decade or so of a free agent receiver signing that worked out great for the team giving the contract and where it was a clear mistake for the previous team to let him walk?

Not saying there aren't any. I'm sure there are. Just struggling to recall them myself.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Dgoodmantrublu on November 27, 2023, 12:59:12 PMYeah. I'd sign one expensive guard and then keep developing and drafting others.

Here is the list of upcoming 2024 UFAs at OG along with their 2023 salaries:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/guard//

Dgoodmantrublu

The trades have worked. Brown on the Eagles, Cooper on the Browns, and Hill with the Dolphins. I do think if Higgins reaches free agency, he will be good for his new team. Same with Ayuk.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 27, 2023, 01:00:03 PMI'm not in any way saying this is true, because it totally makes sense, but can you think of any examples in the past decade or so of a free agent receiver signing that worked out great for the team giving the contract and where it was a clear mistake for the previous team to let him walk.

Not saying there aren't any. I'm sure there are. Just struggling to recall them myself.