News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Agree or Disagree?

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, December 06, 2023, 01:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

I guess I agree, but I would put QB at a much, much higher level than O line.

Ed Vette

Disagree. It's DE/DT. They have to replace Leo.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

President Rick

name any QB who could succeed behind the OL's we have fielded this season or last.

any one.  past or present.

we have to fix the OL first.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: President Rick on December 06, 2023, 01:48:22 PMname any QB who could succeed behind the OL's we have fielded this season or last.

Justin Herbert won OROY behind the 32nd ranked O line (PFF rankings) in the league. Numerous QBs have played materially better than Jones behind bad O lines.

I'm not saying the O line doesn't need work. Clearly it does. But it's easier to draft guards than QBs. They can also be signed in free agency more readily. Further, if we draft a QB, he doesn't have to play as a rookie. We have 6 picks after the first round, and multiple ones can be used on O line. If they are looking for a new starting QB, it is unlikely that they get a better chance than this next draft given the situation they're in and the robustness of the incoming QB class. If (and only if) they are high on one of the QBs who is available to them, I think they should take him, and I am pretty sure they will. That doesn't mean they'll be neglecting the O line.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 06, 2023, 01:55:03 PMJustin Herbert won OROY behind the 32nd ranked O line (PFF rankings) in the league. Numerous QBs have played materially better than Jones behind bad O lines.

I'm not saying the O line doesn't need work. Clearly it does. But it's easier to draft guards than QBs. They can also be signed in free agency more readily. Further, if we draft a QB, he doesn't have to play as a rookie. We have 6 picks after the first round, and multiple ones can be used on O line. If they are looking for a new starting QB, it is unlikely that they get a better chance than this next draft given the situation they're in and the robustness of the incoming QB class. If (and only if) they are high on one of the QBs who is available to them, I think they should take him, and I am pretty sure they will. That doesn't mean they'll be neglecting the O-line.

If you are going to use PFF, I would suggest using their pass-blocking rather than O-line ranking.  In 2020, the Chargers were 30th in pass blocking (the Giants were 32nd).  I would also point out that if you are going to try to overcome poor protection, you need quality receiving targets.  In 2020, the Chargers were ranked 12th in receiving.  For those who are curious, the Giants were 25th in receiving. 

EDIT TO ADD-  this year the Giants are 32nd and 32nd in both pass blocking and receiving.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

IMO, after QB & OL absolute MUST be pass rusher (not what the fans said - play-makers on offense).

Having "lost" Leo and considering that Ojulari is constantly injured, that is a glaring weakness.

At least there it hasn't been ruled-out, IMO, that Hyatt can attain elite status. Plus Bellinger, Slayton and Robinson, if Hyatt can take a big step up next year (rather than experience the sophomore jinx) then that is IMO a decent to decent+ group.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

My thoughts on the answer.   I am not sure if the O-line issue is one of poor coaching or a lack of talent.  I tend to think it's more likely to be an issue with coaching combined with the challenges of getting college O-line up to speed with NFL play (the latest Carl Banks podcast addresses this issue).

I tend to think D-line and WR may be greater overall needs
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 06, 2023, 01:34:04 PMDisagree. It's DE/DT. They have to replace Leo.
It's never easy replacing good players but compared to the positions listed in the poll, DT is probably the least difficult to fill through free agency.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: President Rick on December 06, 2023, 01:48:22 PMname any QB who could succeed behind the OL's we have fielded this season or last.

The fact that bad QBs haven't been successful behind this OL is not evidence that a great QB wouldn't be successful.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 06, 2023, 02:18:08 PMIf you are going to use PFF, I would suggest using their pass-blocking rather than O-line ranking.  In 2020, the Chargers were 30th in pass blocking (the Giants were 32nd).  I would also point out that if you are going to try to overcome poor protection, you need quality receiving targets.  In 2020, the Chargers were ranked 12th in receiving.  For those who are curious, the Giants were 25th in receiving. 

EDIT TO ADD-  this year the Giants are 32nd and 32nd in both pass blocking and receiving.

Ok, so Herbert won OROY behind the 32nd best overall O Line that was 30th in pass blocking. That in no way negates the point I was making in my post.

Jolly Blue Giant

I tend to agree with the chart, although ER should be higher IMO. I hope we come away from the draft with the obvious needs, but hopefully pick up the best punt returner in the draft as well. I really see this as a problem. Field position is vital to winning and we usually start wherever the punt lands (give or take a few yards). We need a threat
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Doc16LT56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 06, 2023, 01:31:48 PMI guess I agree, but I would put QB at a much, much higher level than O line.
Agreed. QB is biggest need by a lot. OL would be a distant second ahead of playmakers on O and D.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 06, 2023, 02:48:29 PMOk, so Herbert won OROY behind the 32nd best overall O Line that was 30th in pass blocking. That in no way negates the point I was making in my post.

If you drill down, you were responding to @President Rick, who said there was no way a QB could be successful behind the Giants' offensive line.    You disputed that claim by citing Herbert's rookie season.

Since the Giants don't have a top-15-receiving group (to help offset the poor blocking), and their pass blocking is worse than the 2020 Chargers, I think it's fair to say it's doubtful that Herbert would succeed behind the Giants' O-line
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 06, 2023, 02:52:23 PMI think it's fair to say it's doubtful that Herbert would succeed behind the Giants' O-line
That's your personal opinion and that's fine. There's no coherent evidence to support it.