News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Could this be the Chiefs' "Secret Sauce"?

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, February 20, 2024, 11:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

We all know that Mahomes is a franchise QB and potentially the best to play the game since Brady. He's sort of a "Brady who can run" IMO

But two things stuck out to me as I watched the last year's and this year's Super Bowl

1) Last season the Chiefs used to use a fullback and two TEs to help block the offensive line (and it doesn't escape me that San Fran now uses a fullback to help the ground game and protect Purdy)

2) The Chiefs used a three TE set at times in the Super Bowl, with two of them blocking :-?? Basically, having a bigger, faster fullback to aid in blocking

My take on this...and I could be wrong (been wrong a lot)...is that the use of a fullback and/or multiple blocking TEs gives additional protection to Mahomes that allows him time to get the ball to where he wants it to go, as well as, gives the ground game some holes to work with. My father used to say that "paint can hide a multiple of sins" and believed paint was a secret to making a place look better than it is. Perhaps this is the Chiefs' way of hiding offensive line issues

Personally, I think it might be borderlines genius (considering the difficulty in putting together a solid offensive line), and maybe it's their "secret sauce" that no one seems to notice. I was surprised during the Super Bowl that the Chiefs employed 3 TEs on plays. Does anyone else think this, or am I off my rocker...again. I know a lot of fans believe that a QB wins games all by himself because he is just so f..n good. I am of a different camp who believes that a QB can only be as good as his teammates who are in sync with him...and it helps to have extra protection and guys who can get open and make hard catches. What say you? Am I out to lunch on this observation or on to something?
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

I think the Chiefs "secret sauce" is they are well coached, they draft and develop players as well as any team in the league, and they have a special QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Trench

I brought this up last season and was not very popular. That said, I totally agree with you and having a fullback lead the way is exactly what Saquon needs.

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 20, 2024, 12:15:02 PMI think the Chiefs "secret sauce" is they are well coached, they draft and develop players as well as any team in the league, and they have a special QB.

Watching the Super Bowl it was apparent to me that the Niners were clearly the better team except for Coach and quarterback. IMHO there is no secret sauce if you have the best coach and quarterback in the league. It reminds of those Patriots teams that had a bunch of nobodies and won Super Bowl after Super Bowl.

Hadron

Having a two-way TE that can block AND catch at a high level helps. Kelce and Noah Gray fit into this mold.

As for SF: Kittle fits this mold as well. Kyle Juszczyk can line up across the formation.

Patriots: look at Gronk and pre-conviction Hernandez.

Tampa (Brady) - you had Gronk and Cameron Brate. Brate isn't a world beater but was good enough.

While this might not apply to KC, the other teams listed here had WRs that were decent blockers.

andrew_nyGiants

I think the Chiefs (look at their scoring offense this season vs the recent past) secret sauce was balancing their resources by adding more to the defense knowing they had enough on offense, allowing Spags to work his magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!