News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Ever watch a movie as a kid/young adult that traumatized you?

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, February 24, 2024, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

For me, there are two movies that I won't even watch a highlight of because they unnerved me so much and left me traumatized:

The Deer Hunter
Pet Semetery

The Russian Roulette played in The Deer Hunter was beyond comprehension to me. On top of that, some kids up the road decided to do it after watching the movie, and one of the kids blew his head off. Just freaked me out. Couldn't believe it. Left me having nightmares

I'm not a fan of horror movies at all unless they are downright funny, like "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" or "The Babysitter", that I loved and laughed my ass off. Same with one of the "Scary Movie"s with the rude and crude parrot. And I actually liked "An American Werewolf in London", even though parts of it scared the crap out of me. There were no parts in Pet Semetery that were humorous

Horror works for me when it has a comedic theme, otherwise, not thank you

Warning...very bad language
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ozzie

I can't remember being traumatized by a movie, but I will agree with you that Tucker & Dale and The Babysitter are absolute classics!! Love them both!
Babysitter 2 - Killer Queen was good too!
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

Sem

As mentioned earlier Pet Sematary and The Exorcist both had the potential to traumatize me. However, I read both books prior to seeing the movies and they left more of an impression on me than the movies did.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Sem on February 24, 2024, 06:41:44 PMI remember seeing that. It was pretty brutal.
We were 19. Not a movie to watch after a couple of joints.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

When I was a real youngster I hated those monster movies like Creature From the Black Lagoon and Beast From 20000 Fathoms. After a while I decided to get over it and I basically tried to watch any and all of them. They never really had an effect on me. The only movie that really got to me, not really traumatize, but just got to me was The Blair Witch Project. Can't say really why but it scared me good
 Maybe it was the way it was done as almost a first person deal.
The opening scene of Jaws when the girl in the water was attacked by the shark. Her sort of moaning stayed with me for a couple of days. After that I can't think of anything that I really was shocked by.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bill Brown

I never saw Pet Cemertary. The reason I have never watched it is because the book was the scariest book I ever read. There were times I literally paused a few times before I could turn the page.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

squibber

There was an Outer Limits episode that really scared me. It's the episode where a space ship lands near an army outpost. Out of the spaceship came a bunch of oversized ants. They crawled all over the outpost and eventually entered and attacked the soldiers.

I made the mistake of reading the Exorcist. It gave me major anxiety. Just like the early part of the book, I started to worry that things in the room would begin moving on its own.

Sem

Quote from: Bill Brown on February 25, 2024, 06:38:17 AMI never saw Pet Cemertary. The reason I have never watched it is because the book was the scariest book I ever read. There were times I literally paused a few times before I could turn the page.

Bill

Same here.

Jolly Blue Giant

Another horror movie -slash comedy - in which Katherine Heigl plays the perfect housewife, but has no problem with killing and cutting up bodies is on the absurd side (to say the least), but it's good for some laughs as well as jaw dropping disgust..."Home Sweet Hell". You'll never see Katherine Heigl the same after this movie...not the innocent bad girl in "My Father the Hero"...LOL

For those who have no idea what My Father the Hero was, here's a clip as she's trying to get away from her father to meet boys and sets him up to look like her lover making everyone hate him...LOL If you've never seen it, it's a good watch if you can find it...old movie

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE