News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen answers fan who hates DJ

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, February 28, 2024, 01:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

He spoke of all the physical tools. Nothing about the mental and psychological aspects of his game. If he's that committed then drafting a QB in the first two rounds would contradict his support and I'm glad to hear it. It means that they can use those picks to improve the team and if he's wrong about Jones then he deserves to lose his job. The QB position is the number one, most important personnel decision a GM can make next to the Head Coach. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 28, 2024, 02:07:50 PMHe spoke of all the physical tools. Nothing about the mental and psychological aspects of his game. If he's that committed then drafting a QB in the first two rounds would contradict his support and I'm glad to hear it. It means that they can use those picks to improve the team and if he's wrong about Jones then he deserves to lose his job. The QB position is the number one, most important personnel decision a GM can make next to the Head Coach. 

In fairness, there seems to be a taboo against talking about a player's mental abilities.  We know pretty much every physical aspect of a player, even the size of their hands, but for anything testing that involves the mind, the NFL and the players seemed to be determined to keep it secret.  They never publish the Wonderlics (although they tend to leak out), and players and agents were even upset with the results of the new S2 test that is supposed to measure processing speed to leak out.

Thinking back, unless it's praising a player's toughness, work ethic, or leadership, you don't hear much talk about a player beyond the physical.  The days of publicly questioning a player's toughness, or intelligence, or even leadership seem to have passed (remember Parcells referring to a player as "she"?)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 28, 2024, 02:21:41 PMIn fairness, there seems to be a taboo against talking about a player's mental abilities.  We know pretty much every physical aspect of a player, even the size of their hands, but for anything testing that involves the mind, the NFL and the players seemed to be determined to keep it secret.  They never publish the Wonderlics (although they tend to leak out), and players and agents were even upset with the results of the new S2 test that is supposed to measure processing speed to leak out.

Thinking back, unless it's praising a player's toughness, work ethic, or leadership, you don't hear much talk about a player beyond the physical.  The days of publicly questioning a player's toughness, or intelligence, or even leadership seem to have passed (remember Parcells referring to a player as "she"?)
I don't believe discussing a player's processing time and ability to manage the game from the aspect of reading the Defense and setting up protections is taboo. He didn't want to go there and the caller who raised the question spoke in generalities and the question was poorly constructed.

I don't believe that Schoen is a stubborn man and I consider him highly intelligent. I predict a QB in one of those top three picks and most likely the 6 pick.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 28, 2024, 02:48:13 PMI don't believe discussing a player's processing time and ability to manage the game from the aspect of reading the Defense and setting up protections is taboo. He didn't want to go there and the caller who raised the question spoke in generalities and the question was poorly constructed.

I don't believe that Schoen is a stubborn man and I consider him highly intelligent. I predict a QB in one of those top three picks and most likely the 6 pick.

If it's not taboo, can you recall a time an NFL coach or GM has publicly talked about processing speed or the mental aspect of quarterbacking?  I am asking because I couldn't recall one.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 28, 2024, 02:49:59 PMIf it's not taboo, can you recall a time an NFL coach or GM has publicly talked about processing speed or the mental aspect of quarterbacking?  I am asking because I couldn't recall one.
It's taboo to speak of it negatively but if it's to praise the QB, then all is well. Similar to the adage, "praise in public, admonish in private." Sometimes, what's not said speaks louder than what is.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 28, 2024, 02:48:13 PMI don't believe discussing a player's processing time and ability to manage the game from the aspect of reading the Defense and setting up protections is taboo. He didn't want to go there and the caller who raised the question spoke in generalities and the question was poorly constructed.

Schoen and Daboll aren't dumb, they aren't going to risk their future on a guy that has already cost 1 GM and 2 HCs their Job. They really had no other option than to sign him last offseason, because the part of the fanbase that loves Jones would have lost their mcnuggets had they not signed him and forced people to realize he was incapable of maning the ship. I agree with you completely I think they are all in on the hunt for the future.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 28, 2024, 02:49:59 PMIf it's not taboo, can you recall a time an NFL coach or GM has publicly talked about processing speed or the mental aspect of quarterbacking?  I am asking because I couldn't recall one.
Why would that restrict his answer? There are no rules. But to answer your question,

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/12/new-york-giants-daniel-jones-mike-kafka-had-honest-open-conversation-about-turnovers/

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

katkavage

Jones had a nice season in 2022. He wasn't asked to do much and with the help of a healthy Barkley had success. Going into the Minnesota game there was no doubt in my mind the Giants were the better team and would win. Minnesota had a terrible defense and a young rookie coach. Jones played well and deserved credit for the win. The following week reality set in. To say that the Minnesota game proves Jones is an above average QB is absolutely ludicrous. I remember Gettleman pointing to a 400 yard passing game by Eli to say he still had something left and justifying the terrible Barkley pick at 2. One game does not make a QB. Let's just hope Schoen is just being diplomatic otherwise we Giant fans are doomed.

GloryDays

Some little things must be missing in their scouting of O line prospects!

Fletch

Quote from: katkavage on February 28, 2024, 05:15:45 PMJones had a nice season in 2022. He wasn't asked to do much and with the help of a healthy Barkley had success. Going into the Minnesota game there was no doubt in my mind the Giants were the better team and would win. Minnesota had a terrible defense and a young rookie coach. Jones played well and deserved credit for the win. The following week reality set in. To say that the Minnesota game proves Jones is an above average QB is absolutely ludicrous. I remember Gettleman pointing to a 400 yard passing game by Eli to say he still had something left and justifying the terrible Barkley pick at 2. One game does not make a QB. Let's just hope Schoen is just being diplomatic otherwise we Giant fans are doomed.

It is simply amazing to me how people stick to same opinions year after year despite years of evidence.

The Barkley picks is terrible at #2 ? What is terrible about it? THere are good odds that any pick at any given draft slot could have been a bust. Barkley wasn't that. In fact he has pretty much been the whole offense . You really wished they would have drafted Darnold with that pick?

Also the Eli was cooked narrative again. This team did not make any kind of dramatic improvement without Eli. In fact they have pretty much sucked since he was gone. The guy was a top 10 passing yards QB in 2018. A Top 10 pass completed QB in 2018. A top 10 passing attempts QB in 2018.

Daniel Jones has little to do with anything Eli at this point. Gettle was right about a few things. And Shoen has not shown to be much of an improvement. He had every opportunity to bring in another QB.

katkavage

Quote from: Fletch on February 28, 2024, 07:56:36 PMIt is simply amazing to me how people stick to same opinions year after year despite years of evidence.

The Barkley picks is terrible at #2 ? What is terrible about it? THere are good odds that any pick at any given draft slot could have been a bust. Barkley wasn't that. In fact he has pretty much been the whole offense . You really wished they would have drafted Darnold with that pick?

Also the Eli was cooked narrative again. This team did not make any kind of dramatic improvement without Eli. In fact they have pretty much sucked since he was gone. The guy was a top 10 passing yards QB in 2018. A Top 10 pass completed QB in 2018. A top 10 passing attempts QB in 2018.

Daniel Jones has little to do with anything Eli at this point. Gettle was right about a few things. And Shoen has not shown to be much of an improvement. He had every opportunity to bring in another QB.
Never said Barkley the player was a bust. I hated drafting a running back at 2 and I was right that it was mistake. Eli was a Hall of Fame QB, but they should have rebuilt and moved on when Gettleman took over. Instead they thought they could build around an aging QB. My point was that one good game does not indicate a career. I was referring to Schoen pointing out the win against a mediocre Minnesota team as a breakout for Jones.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 28, 2024, 02:07:50 PMHe spoke of all the physical tools. Nothing about the mental and psychological aspects of his game. If he's that committed then drafting a QB in the first two rounds would contradict his support and I'm glad to hear it. It means that they can use those picks to improve the team and if he's wrong about Jones then he deserves to lose his job. The QB position is the number one, most important personnel decision a GM can make next to the Head Coach. 

Ed: Or they fix almost all of the team with a solid year of picks (not impossible in free-agency) at the right positions (partly a matter of luck for the right guys to be there at the right time in the draft) and then draft Drew Allar from Penn State next year (he will kick ass next season).  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 29, 2024, 06:54:23 AMEd: Or they fix almost all of the team with a solid year of picks (not impossible in free-agency) at the right positions (partly a matter of luck for the right guys to be there at the right time in the draft) and then draft Drew Allar from Penn State next year (he will kick ass next season).  Bob
Drew choked against better Defenses. Let's see how he progresses as a JR.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin