News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I'm getting Fiber Optics

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, February 28, 2024, 02:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I'm floored that I am having fiber optics installed for my internet today. For some, that might not be big news, but for me, it's huge. I live in a very rural area where I see Amish drive by in their horse and buggies and when it snows, there are more snowmobiles than cars. I have to drive several miles to get to a small village with one store. Yet, a small company in Ithaca decided to run fiber optic lines throughout the rural areas...and that includes dirt roads like "Bloody Pond Road" out of Texas Valley (population under 75), where there are only 2 houses on a 2-mile stretch. Incredible because I have friends in Binghamton who still can't get fiber optics and my son who lives in Homer, NY can't get it

I've had Spectrum for many years, and it constantly goes out or becomes so slow, it's like Chinese Water Torture. When streaming a HD movie or show and the internet slows, the picture becomes blurry and sometimes freezes...very irritating

Price: 59.95 for 300 mgb; 69.95 600 mgb; and 79.95 for 1gb...I opted for the 1 gigabyte speed because I do a lot of streaming on the TV as well as download a ton of music videos and other stuff from my computer. Anyway, I'm happy about it

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

I feel bad, I have had fiber optic for at least a decade, maybe even 2 decades (or at least close)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

No fiber optics in my area. I have spectrum for my internet service. I pay about 80.00 a month which I feel is a bit pricey but I do get good speeds. We run several devices at one time and don't have any streaming issues. I just wish I could convince my wife to do away with Hulu and Netflix and save a bunch because we don't really need those but she doesn't like change.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 28, 2024, 02:13:45 PMI'm floored that I am having fiber optics installed for my internet today. For some, that might not be big news, but for me, it's huge. I live in a very rural area where I see Amish drive by in their horse and buggies and when it snows, there are more snowmobiles than cars. I have to drive several miles to get to a small village with one store. Yet, a small company in Ithaca decided to run fiber optic lines throughout the rural areas.
Jolly: I can relate, for a different reason.  I live in a small group of houses that are geographically isolated from the city of Harrisburg.  It just wasn't financially feasible to run the lines to us either.  We finally got into the 21st century about three or four years ago.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!