News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT: Justin Fields to the steelers

Started by brownelvis54, March 16, 2024, 07:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Have to wonder what those "inquiries" were exactly. Did they offer more than the Steelers?  Or did they ask what it would take to get him and then didn't make an offer?  Or did the Bears tell them no, under no circumstance will we trade him to your team?

Have to believe if someone was offering significantly more compensation the Bears would have taken it. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 18, 2024, 03:10:02 PMHave to wonder what those "inquiries" were exactly. Did they offer more than the Steelers?  Or did they ask what it would take to get him and then didn't make an offer?  Or did the Bears tell them no, under no circumstance will we trade him to your team?

Have to believe if someone was offering significantly more compensation the Bears would have taken it. 

Considering how little the Bears got for Fields, you have to think Fields rejecting suiters might have driven down his price.   If Fields' reps said he didn't want to be traded to a particular team, I would think the Bears would be obligated to share that information with the team making the offer.  If you were a team that was trying to trade for Fields, and he said he didn't want to play for you, would you still go forward with the trade?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

He went to the team where he thinks he can be the Starting QB in 25 next season. In a perfect world, he can learn and grow and possibly get some playing time in 24. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

uconnjack8

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 18, 2024, 05:19:11 PMHe went to the team where he thinks he can be the Starting QB in 25 next season. In a perfect world, he can learn and grow and possibly get some playing time in 24. 

Ed,

IMO if the Bears wanted to do the best by Fields, it would have been to keep him and start him next year while the rookie sits for some time.  That at least gives him a chance to raise his value. 

In Pittsburgh he is going to be the backup until they tire of Wilson or they are out of contention which does nothing for him in terms of FA next year.

MightyGiants

I just listened to Mike Lombardi's podcast.  He said the reason that Chicago got so little for Fields is simply the tape doesn't lie.  Mike feels that Fields simply is not a very good QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 18, 2024, 05:28:51 PMEd,

IMO if the Bears wanted to do the best by Fields, it would have been to keep him and start him next year while the rookie sits for some time.  That at least gives him a chance to raise his value. 

In Pittsburgh he is going to be the backup until they tire of Wilson or they are out of contention which does nothing for him in terms of FA next year.

Apparently they didn't want the distraction. I didn't mean to imply he had a hand in where he was going, but he may have sabotaged a situation or two. He needs a step back. I don't know if he can be a good QB but I think the situation is good for him.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jgrangers2

Quote from: Ed Vette on March 18, 2024, 06:19:18 PMApparently they didn't want the distraction. I didn't mean to imply he had a hand in where he was going, but he may have sabotaged a situation or two. He needs a step back. I don't know if he can be a good QB but I think the situation is good for him.

It will be interesting to see what the Steelers do with him. I'd think they'd pick up the 5th year option and essentially commit to him as their QB in 2025 at least if he doesn't usurp Wilson at some point this year.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jgrangers2 on March 18, 2024, 11:56:52 PMIt will be interesting to see what the Steelers do with him. I'd think they'd pick up the 5th year option and essentially commit to him as their QB in 2025 at least if he doesn't usurp Wilson at some point this year.

Interesting. I tend to think they won't pick up the 5th year. While I get that it's nice to have the QB for another year at a potentially discounted price, the problem is it's really not a discount unless the QB is a guy you consider your long term QB of the future. Otherwise, you're sitting with a $20-plus million, fully guaranteed, full single year cap hit obligation on a QB you're not that excited about. I don't see how the Steelers can make that commitment with Fields today. If your QB is someone like Stroud, where it's obvious, then the fifth year option is great, but I don't see how you can do it if you're completely unsure about a player, which the Steelers at this point must be about Fields, if they're being rational.