News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Rate the Brian Burns trade

Started by MightyGiants, March 13, 2024, 08:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

On a scale of 1-5 (5 being most approving) rate the Brian Burns trade

MightyGiants

How do you feel about the Brian Burns trade and its impact on the Giants' long- and short-term term?

The Giants get:

Brian Burns
2024 5th round pick (No. 166)

The Panthers get:

2024 2nd round pick (No. 39)
2024 5th round pick (No. 141)
2025 5th round pick

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sooners56

Pass rushers are the game changers on defense and good ones aren't easy to obtain nor are they cheap. The Giants needed a dependable pass rusher opposite of Thibs and they got a young player who should only get better. So I give the trade a 5. After all that 2nd rounder they gave up could have been a complete bust.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Ed Vette

He's a top ten DE/Edge. Paired with Thibs and with Dex up the middle, they went from an average to one of the better Lines and with Ojulari they have a solid third and long pass rush. They get four years out of him before he's 30. It's a flat contract that doesn't back load. It a two year out post June 1st and a three year out pre. If the Giants had to move up from the second round to get an Edge, they would have to give up a heck of lot more than a fifth round pick and he's a proven commodity vs a risk.

What's not to like? With some coaching they can improve his Run Defense.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Doc16LT56

I think we need to consider this trade with the understanding that the Giants are not good at the draft. When was the last time they drafted a player as good as Burns in the 2nd round?

Burns, Thibs, and Dex have a chance to be special over the next half decade. We needed to make a move like this.

uconnjack8

The draft pick capital invested is a great value, the amount of cap space invested will remain to be seen. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on March 13, 2024, 09:09:28 AMI think we need to consider this trade with the understanding that the Giants are not good at the draft. When was the last time they drafted a player as good as Burns in the 2nd round?

Burns, Thibs, and Dex have a chance to be special over the next half decade. We needed to make a move like this.

The only way a team can have sustained success is through the draft.  If they can't draft well, that needs to be corrected rather than trying to work around the issue.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

I am pretty down on this trade myself.

The Giants gave Burns the sort of contract that would have allowed the Giants to sign one of the free-agent edge rushers and saved the draft capital they spent.

As Mike Lombardi said, Brian Burns is not a blue-chip player.  There can be an argument made that he is a red chipper.  The problem, in my eye, is that the Giants spent cap and draft capital like Brian Burns was a blue-chip player, and he hasn't shown that in his 4 years in the league.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Quote from: uconnjack8 on March 13, 2024, 09:12:50 AMThe draft pick capital invested is a great value, the amount of cap space invested will remain to be seen.
Who did you want to use the cap space on? The team needs star players and those guys don't grow on trees. As it stands, it's a 3 year commitment to Burns, so he will need to live up to expectations if he wants to see the full contract paid out, and the cap hit is much easier to swallow once Daniel Jones is off the team next year.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on March 13, 2024, 09:24:57 AMWho did you want to use the cap space on? The team needs star players and those guys don't grow on trees. As it stands, it's a 3 year commitment to Burns, so he will need to live up to expectations if he wants to see the full contract paid out, and the cap hit is much easier to swallow once Daniel Jones is off the team next year.

The Giants could have signed Josh Allen for that sort of money and kept their draft picks
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 13, 2024, 09:21:42 AMThe only way a team can have sustained success is through the draft.  If they can't draft well, that needs to be corrected rather than trying to work around the issue.
The Giants have to get better at scouting and player development. No argument from me. But investing draft capital in a proven edge rusher like Burns makes more sense to me than throwing another dart at a college pass rusher like Azeez, Elerson, Ximines, Lorenzo Carter, Odigi, Damontre Moore, Clint Sintim... the list of failed edge picks goes back 20 years before we get to a hit in Osi. We needed a better pass rush and we now have a better pass rush.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 13, 2024, 09:37:36 AMThe Giants could have signed Josh Allen for that sort of money and kept their draft picks
They should have drafted Josh Allen (the edge rusher) when they had the chance a few years back. I don't believe he's available but would love to have him if he is.

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 13, 2024, 09:37:36 AMThe Giants could have signed Josh Allen for that sort of money and kept their draft picks

Yea but you mentioned draft capital as being important

Yes we gave up and 2nd and a 5th

But because we traded for him ... it does not affect the comp pick situation we got with X and Barkley leaving.... Ashawn as well too I believe

So by next years draft it can look like we In essence traded

a 2&5 for Burns and two 3rds and possibly another for Ashawn

This trade can end up being on Genius levels

MightyGiants

Quote from: killarich on March 13, 2024, 09:52:32 AMYea but you mentioned draft capital as being important

Yes we gave up and 2nd and a 5th

But because we traded for him ... it does not affect the comp pick situation we got with X and Barkley leaving.... Ashawn as well too I believe

So by next years draft it can look like we In essence traded

a 2&5 for Burns and two 3rds and possibly another for Ashawn

This trade can end up being on Genius levels

We signed free agent O-line and RB which will offset some of those comp picks
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 13, 2024, 09:54:16 AMWe signed free agent O-line and RB which will offset some of those comp picks

Does actual contract numbers factor into that though ? If that's the case ...excluding the trade we still lost more than we gained by a lot

Even Ashawn got a hefty contract

JT39

You are assuming he would have came here.

Thats a big mistake fans often make when looking at FA - "well we could have just signed so and so..."

- maybe we reached out and they werent interested
- maybe we think Burns is a much better player

We cant assume every FA would have signed with us if we went a different route.