News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Slayton "should" be back

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, May 03, 2024, 10:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

The current standoff is not the same as last year's standoff with Barkley. Slayton is very underpaid compared to WRs with the same stat, and he's been the Giants' most reliable and productive receiver on the team. With Nabers getting the brunt of defenders dogging him, it should open up Slayton and Hyatt...and maybe a TE

Anyway, a pretty good article: https://gmenhq.com/posts/darius-slayton-provides-positive-update-ny-giants-contract-drama-01hwx0s93mgb?sc=be165671da3b347e2b57f31b3de62ada4335dd4eb041bc409f5188d150192a90
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 03, 2024, 10:20:48 AMThe current standoff is not the same as last year's standoff with Barkley. Slayton is very underpaid compared to WRs with the same stat, and he's been the Giants' most reliable and productive receiver on the team. With Nabers getting the brunt of defenders dogging him, it should open up Slayton and Hyatt...and maybe a TE

Anyway, a pretty good article: https://gmenhq.com/posts/darius-slayton-provides-positive-update-ny-giants-contract-drama-01hwx0s93mgb?sc=be165671da3b347e2b57f31b3de62ada4335dd4eb041bc409f5188d150192a90

The sense I got (although I couldn't find a quote that nailed it down) is that Slayton wants an extension.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 03, 2024, 10:21:47 AMThe sense I got (although I couldn't find a quote that nailed it down) is that Slayton wants an extension.
He should get one. He took a measly salary because he wanted to be a Giant. He would've gotten much more if he took the FA route

I think he loves playing for Daboll. I'll never forget the play a year ago where he looked up field a nanosecond too soon and dropped a very catchable ball. He went to the sideline devastated (not sure if he wasn't crying), and Daboll was the first one to meet him on the sideline and instead of going into a tirade, Daboll put his arms around him and patted him on the back. From a player's perspective, you can't ask for more than that from your coach

B1GBLUE

im pulling for him. you can certainly argue he does deserve an extension/raise, even though he's a bit expendable now with nabers in the fold. i do still think he's our current #2. which is a good role for him

MightyGiants

Quote from: B1GBLUE on May 03, 2024, 03:36:49 PMim pulling for him. you can certainly argue he does deserve an extension/raise, even though he's a bit expendable now with nabers in the fold. i do still think he's our current #2. which is a good role for him

With the injury rate the Giants suffer, it's good to have quality depth at every position
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Stringer Bell

Quote from: B1GBLUE on May 03, 2024, 03:36:49 PMim pulling for him. you can certainly argue he does deserve an extension/raise, even though he's a bit expendable now with nabers in the fold. i do still think he's our current #2. which is a good role for him

I think he's our #2, as well. Hyatt is not at his level yet. Even still, I'm not interested in signing him to a fair-market extension. If he wants to stay a Giant and accept a hometown discount for 2-3 years, I'm fine with that. But I'm not looking to commit a lot of years or dollars to him.

He's a good guy and easy to root for, but those aren't reasons to sign him long term and the kind of stuff that has gotten the Giants in trouble over the years.

Rosehill Jimmy

Agree with most said here about DS. If there is a reasonable $ number for a guy that still drops too many passes for my liking, go for it
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on May 03, 2024, 05:11:13 PMAgree with most said here about DS. If there is a reasonable $ number for a guy that still drops too many passes for my liking, go for it

He's gotten better over time. The thing is, once you get tagged with the moniker "drops passes", every drop is magnified a thousand times so fans can reaffirm their belief and boast that "they knew it" and "they told you so". Yet Slayton actually had fewer drops (percentage wise) than most of the WRs in the league, including J. Smith-Njigba, S. Diggs, M. Evans, G. Wilson...and in fact, didn't even make the top 25 players in the NFL for drop percentage. Last season, Slayton had 3 drops and 50 catches https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?category=receiving&season=2023&seasonType=reg&sort=rec_drops&sortOrder=desc

It's sorta like DJ and turnovers. In 2022, when he was called a "turnover machine", he was ridiculed incessantly for a turnover as it verified fans' negative opinions of him. Yet, he only had 8 turnovers in 17 games. Compare that with Dak who had 16 TOs in 12 games, or compared with Josh Allen's 19 TOs etc. Yet, every turnover by DJ brings out the haters who say, "see what I told you???". Meanwhile, Dak is being touted as a "franchise QB" by the media

Once something gets stuck in a fan's mind, they watch for, and keep track of, and magnify every fault to confirm their staunch beliefs. Fans can be brutal...especially when vying to prove they know more than others about the game and team

BluesCruz

I would not be so quick to crown Nabors....he has to prove he can handle NFL defenders and stay healthy

Right now Slayton is #1 until the results start to come in

College ball is not NFL ball
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Trench

I think Hyatt is better than Slayton today. For some reason they didn't give him reps early and then when they did it was apparent he is a dynamic playmaker.

Slayton is ok but he still unfortunately drops too many passes in key moments.

It will be very interesting to watch the progress of both Slayton and Bellinger this season. Both are key players looking to cement their roles.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Trench on May 05, 2024, 07:37:20 AMI think Hyatt is better than Slayton today. For some reason they didn't give him reps early and then when they did it was apparent he is a dynamic playmaker.

Slayton is ok but he still unfortunately drops too many passes in key moments.

It will be very interesting to watch the progress of both Slayton and Bellinger this season. Both are key players looking to cement their roles.
Slayton had three drops last season. Double that for double targets and he's among the best in the league.
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?category=receiving&season=2023&seasonType=reg&sort=rec_drops&sortOrder=desc

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 04, 2024, 11:42:09 AMHe's gotten better over time. The thing is, once you get tagged with the moniker "drops passes", every drop is magnified a thousand times so fans can reaffirm their belief and boast that "they knew it" and "they told you so". Yet Slayton actually had fewer drops (percentage wise) than most of the WRs in the league, including J. Smith-Njigba, S. Diggs, M. Evans, G. Wilson...and in fact, didn't even make the top 25 players in the NFL for drop percentage. Last season, Slayton had 3 drops and 50 catches https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/stats?category=receiving&season=2023&seasonType=reg&sort=rec_drops&sortOrder=desc

It's sorta like DJ and turnovers. In 2022, when he was called a "turnover machine", he was ridiculed incessantly for a turnover as it verified fans' negative opinions of him. Yet, he only had 8 turnovers in 17 games. Compare that with Dak who had 16 TOs in 12 games, or compared with Josh Allen's 19 TOs etc. Yet, every turnover by DJ brings out the haters who say, "see what I told you???". Meanwhile, Dak is being touted as a "franchise QB" by the media

Once something gets stuck in a fan's mind, they watch for, and keep track of, and magnify every fault to confirm their staunch beliefs. Fans can be brutal...especially when vying to prove they know more than others about the game and team

problem is they are HUGE drops. 50 yard perfect throws for easy td drops. they stand out more than an 7 yard out route

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: B1GBLUE on May 06, 2024, 10:15:14 AMproblem is they are HUGE drops. 50 yard perfect throws for easy td drops. they stand out more than an 7 yard out route

I hear ya...it's just that every good WR does the same thing and no one concentrates on that...only Slayton because a pundit pointed it out, and it stuck on everyone's mind. When Justin Jefferson or DeVonte Adams drops an easy catch, fans just say it's all part of the game. But when you are expecting it, you look for verification of your mindset. As I pointed out earlier, Slayton doesn't even make the top 25 NFL receivers in dropped catch percentage...nowhere near the percentage of Stefon Diggs or Garrett Wilson drops. Yet fans of those guys, take a sip of their beer, brush it off, and say "we'll get them next pass". I've seen OBJ drop perfect passes when he's wide open. The response, "he took a peak to see where he was going before the ball was in his grip"...xxxx happens. Not so with Slayton. Fans want him to drop passes so they can say, "I told you so...cuz I'm smarter than you"

And the reason Hyatt hasn't overtaken Slayton is that Slayton runs better routes. Hyatt is catching up, but not there yet. I just hope some pundit doesn't say that "Hyatt drops too many balls", or it will become the gospel of the NFL, just like the pundits who have claimed DJ throws too many interceptions. Hard to shake a mindset once a player has been accused of something by a talking head or an anonymous typer on the internet

My advice,"trust the coaches and ignore the bloviating chatter", they know far more than fans about statistics and the reality of what goes on inside the game

Philosophers

I'd like to see him back as I think a Giants rotation with him is stronger.  That said, Nabers, Robinson and Hyatt have much better hands.  Slayton offers a deep threat that complements the team.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 06, 2024, 02:30:14 PMI hear ya...it's just that every good WR does the same thing and no one concentrates on that...only Slayton because a pundit pointed it out, and it stuck on everyone's mind. When Justin Jefferson or DeVonte Adams drops an easy catch, fans just say it's all part of the game. But when you are expecting it, you look for verification of your mindset. As I pointed out earlier, Slayton doesn't even make the top 25 NFL receivers in dropped catch percentage...nowhere near the percentage of Stefon Diggs or Garrett Wilson drops. Yet fans of those guys, take a sip of their beer, brush it off, and say "we'll get them next pass". I've seen OBJ drop perfect passes when he's wide open. The response, "he took a peak to see where he was going before the ball was in his grip"...xxxx happens. Not so with Slayton. Fans want him to drop passes so they can say, "I told you so...cuz I'm smarter than you"

And the reason Hyatt hasn't overtaken Slayton is that Slayton runs better routes. Hyatt is catching up, but not there yet. I just hope some pundit doesn't say that "Hyatt drops too many balls", or it will become the gospel of the NFL, just like the pundits who have claimed DJ throws too many interceptions. Hard to shake a mindset once a player has been accused of something by a talking head or an anonymous typer on the internet

My advice,"trust the coaches and ignore the bloviating chatter", they know far more than fans about statistics and the reality of what goes on inside the game

comes down to perception is reality. those guys are putting up 100/1400/10 seasons. slayton isnt. they could have way more drops but their production outweighs it. not entirely on slayton, but it doesnt help him