News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

If you want to hear what NFL people think about QB prospects

Started by MightyGiants, April 19, 2024, 01:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I will admit, even I am suffering from fatigue at this point in terms of evaluating the QB class, but for those who are not.  Here are two articles full of comments from NFL coaches and front office staff

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/04/19/2024-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-case-study-top-prospects

https://www.nfl.com/news/2024-nfl-draft-pro-execs-scouts-coaches-rank-and-evaluate-the-top-20-prospects-in-this-qb-class
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I read something amazing yesterday from one of the ex-NFL execs.  He said that for QB prospects, the teams have 60% more information than the public (ESPN and NFL Network draft pundits, fans, etc.) has.  Things like medical information, psychological testing, detailed private visits from prospects in which they sit down with video and a white board and get grilled by coaches about what they see, etc.  He noted that fans need to stop thinking they have enough info to form a judgment on a player when in fact they have very little.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on April 20, 2024, 09:27:45 AMI read something amazing yesterday from one of the ex-NFL execs.  He said that for QB prospects, the teams have 60% more information than the public (ESPN and NFL Network draft pundits, fans, etc.) has.  Things like medical information, psychological testing, detailed private visits from prospects in which they sit down with video and a white board and get grilled by coaches about what they see, etc.  He noted that fans need to stop thinking they have enough info to form a judgment on a player when in fact they have very little.

That's along the same lines I heard from HOF GM Bill Polian.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Note how Daniels is at (or near) the top regardless of category.  I still don't know why Williams is the consensus top QB in this draft. Maybe someone who really really likes him can explain that to me. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 20, 2024, 09:30:45 AMThat's along the same lines I heard from HOF GM Bill Polian.

It may have been Polian who said it.  When folks wow what a surprise pick when someone gets picked, they need to understand what they have versus the teM.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 20, 2024, 12:20:15 PMNote how Daniels is at (or near) the top regardless of category.  I still don't know why Williams is the consensus top QB in this draft. Maybe someone who really really likes him can explain that to me. Bob
Like Bo Nix. I keep telling you folks, don't discount Nix.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 20, 2024, 12:47:33 PMLike Bo Nix. I keep telling you folks, don't discount Nix.

Ed: I'm too lazy to look it up, but I know there is one QB in the 1st-round-worthy chatter who spent "too many" years in college and is a few years older than the others.  Is Nix that guy?  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 20, 2024, 03:18:27 PMEd: I'm too lazy to look it up, but I know there is one QB in the 1st-round-worthy chatter who spent "too many" years in college and is a few years older than the others.  Is Nix that guy?  Bob
Too many? Why is that a problem when these QB's play into their mid to late 30's? Yes, bo Nix and Penix are the most mature and experienced QB's in this draft.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin