News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mara from the owner's meeting

Started by MightyGiants, March 25, 2024, 01:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Pat Leonard
@PLeonardNYDN
John Mara said he still has full confidence in Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll despite last season's "huge" disappointment. Mara plays down the sideline dysfunction/Daboll element of it. Will have full quotes there.

When asked what signs of progress he sees on the field, Mara said the team played hard for Daboll and didn't quit on him. Mara says he didn't want to lose Wink Martindale and was disappointed the Giants did.

More coming
@NYDNSports
1:41 PM · Mar 25, 2024
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
Just spoke to John Mara and Joe Schoen for total of about 45 minutes.

Biggest takeaway from Mara: he believes in Schoen and Brian Daboll, and if they have a conviction to select a QB - either at No. 6 or in a trade up - ownership gives them the green light.

Joe Schoen says Darren Waller is still undecided on retirement. #NYGiants
1:51 PM · Mar 25, 2024
·
 Views

https://x.com/NYPost_Schwartz/status/1772320400761876802?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

https://x.com/NYPost_Schwartz/status/1772321229749244017?s=20

https://x.com/rydunleavy/status/1772320896444719292?s=20

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
Joe Schoen says Daniel Jones has progressed in his rehab to "running on land" and throwing. His ACL recovery had been limited to running on the Alter-G treadmill.

On whether Jones is the Week 1 starter, John Mara: "That's up to Brian Daboll."

Mara: "Is it my expectation? Is it my best guess that he'll be the starter? Yes."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

https://x.com/NYPost_Schwartz/status/1772322566759227576?s=20

Dan Duggan
@DDuggan21
John Mara held a lengthy interview session at the owners meetings. This is his only media address of the year these days. A few main takeaways:

• Mara still believes strongly in Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll despite last season being a "huge disappointment."

• Mara said he won't stand in the way if Schoen and Daboll want to draft a QB in the first round. Mara said he expects Daniel Jones to be the Week 1 starter. Mara said drafting a QB wouldn't mean the end of Jones: "Let them both compete."

• Mara called the inability to build a quality offensive line over the past decade "ridiculous" and something that continues to be a source of frustration for him. He said it's time for it to get fixed and he expects the OL to be a "hell of a lot better" after investing so much in the position.
2:01 PM · Mar 25, 2024
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Given all the turmoil and tension this caused on Daboll's staff last season, does Mara think Daboll needs to change his sideline tone, demeanor, and behavior entering a hot seat Year 3?

"There are times when I wish he would tone it down a little bit," Mara said Monday. "But I'm also in the team meetings, and I see how he acts around his coaches in the office. And he always maintains his cool there. Does he get excitable during the games sometimes? Yeah. So do I. But I don't think it's a major issue."

https://www.nj.com/giants/2024/03/giants-john-mara-sometimes-wishes-brian-daboll-would-tone-it-down-but-mostly-downplays-his-antics.html
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 25, 2024, 02:14:42 PMGiven all the turmoil and tension this caused on Daboll's staff last season, does Mara think Daboll needs to change his sideline tone, demeanor, and behavior entering a hot seat Year 3?

"There are times when I wish he would tone it down a little bit," Mara said Monday. "But I'm also in the team meetings, and I see how he acts around his coaches in the office. And he always maintains his cool there. Does he get excitable during the games sometimes? Yeah. So do I. But I don't think it's a major issue."

https://www.nj.com/giants/2024/03/giants-john-mara-sometimes-wishes-brian-daboll-would-tone-it-down-but-mostly-downplays-his-antics.html
My takeaway from Mara?
"I'm in the team meetings"

A) of course Daboll is on his best behavior when Mara is in the room...and

B) WHY ARE YOU IN MEETINGS JOHN?!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 25, 2024, 02:19:20 PMMy takeaway from Mara?
"I'm in the team meetings"

A) of course Daboll is on his best behavior when Mara is in the room...and

B) WHY ARE YOU IN MEETINGS JOHN?!! 

I think the situation (Daboll's temper) may have been the reason John was in the meeting.  Unfortunately, I can't agree more strongly that it's unrealistic to think that Daboll would act the same with and without John Mara sitting in the meeting.  Let me clarify: if Daboll is always carrying himself like a true professional, then it's possible Daboll would be the same with or without John Mara in the room.  However, if there was a problem, it's a bit niave of John to think Daboll would act up in front of him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Jordan Raanan
@JordanRaanan
Other items of note from John Mara and Joe Schoen:

— Mara still has confidence in Schoen and Brian Daboll. He really believes in their process.

— They both still expect Daniel Jones to be the Week 1 starter at QB assuming there is no setback.

— Mara still not confident a grass field can hold up throughout a season at MetLife Stadium.

— TE Darren Waller remains undecided. He's going to take his time with a decision.

— Evan Neal staying at right tackle ... right now.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

I'm liking the Waller trade less and less with each passing day.

You're under contract BRO!!

The organization is trying to make personnel decisions and your indecision is getting in the way!

I hope his deadline is within the next two weeks.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 25, 2024, 02:29:37 PMI'm liking the Waller trade less and less with each passing day.

You're under contract BRO!!

The organization is trying to make personnel decisions and your indecision is getting in the way!

I hope his deadline is within the next two weeks.

The Giants are in a tough position.  Normally, a team would just cut the guy and take the roughly $6 million in cap savings.  However, since the Giants spent a third-round pick on him, it would be embarrassing if all the Giants netted for that pick was a partial (due to injuries) one-year rental.  So the Giants are just going to give him all the time he needs, hoping he decides to come back.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE