News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who is our "when you've got to have 2 yards" tailback?

Started by TONKA56, April 27, 2024, 10:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TONKA56

Is Singletary that guy? 🤔

Do we have a goal line running back? 

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 27, 2024, 10:57:55 AMIs Singletary that guy? 🤔

Do we have a goal line running back? 

I don't think in today's NFL there is such a thing as a goal line RB. The days of Csonka and "The Bus" are long gone. Defenses are bigger, faster, and stronger so few RBs can push a line out of the way with brute force...especially when the defense knows it's coming

I think a guy like Jaylen Wright might do as well as any in the draft. He's fast, shifty, strong, and plays with a nasty demeanor and unrivaled intensity. If he sees a crease, he's already trying to thread it
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Trench

I think we may see a return of the traditional fullback in the coming years.

TONKA56

Quote from: Trench on April 27, 2024, 11:59:17 AMI think we may see a return of the traditional fullback in the coming years.

I actually thought about that. Maybe not traditional, but a jack-of-all-trades back who gives you blitz pickup, receiving, and short yardage duties. Sort of a Larry Centers-Tom Rathman hybrid.

Jolly Blue Giant

Carson Steele is an interesting player. He plays RB, but is built like a FB. Made the Freaks list for unreal strength...the downside, has "Hollywood Looks"

6'1" / 230

https://uclabruins.com/sports/football/roster/carson-steele/12740

From The Athletic

"He made the Freaks List last year before having a monster season for Ball State, rushing for 1,556 yards. Not bad for a guy who only had one FBS scholarship offer. The Bruins were elated to get him in the transfer portal. Steele, at 6-1, 233, has wowed his new teammates with his strength. He bench-pressed 450 pounds and squatted 685. His wheels have been impressive too, clocking 20.96 MPH and vertical-jumping 35 inches.

Steele, with his long flowing locks, looks like a fit in Hollywood. He also owns a pet alligator named Crocky-J.

"He's a dawg," says Bruins center Duke Clemens. "He's huge. He's like a bowling ball. I always see him in the weight room doing extra work after we're done with our workouts. You know why he is the way he is. I'm excited for him this year. He definitely can plow some people. You're gonna see that this year."
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

TONKA56

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on April 27, 2024, 11:05:55 AMI don't think in today's NFL there is such a thing as a goal line RB. The days of Csonka and "The Bus" are long gone. Defenses are bigger, faster, and stronger so few RBs can push a line out of the way with brute force...especially when the defense knows it's coming

I think a guy like Jaylen Wright might do as well as any in the draft. He's fast, shifty, strong, and plays with a nasty demeanor and unrivaled intensity. If he sees a crease, he's already trying to thread it

Dolphins took Jaylen Wright. Looks like Daboll is going to roll with what we have.

Jclayton92

I'm perfectly happy with the quartet of Singletary, Gray, Miller, and Corbin.

TONKA56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 27, 2024, 01:31:52 PMI'm perfectly happy with the quartet of Singletary, Gray, Miller, and Corbin.

The last time I felt this way about our running backs was the Joe Montgomery/LeShon Johnson year.

Yeah, yeah I know "different era, game has changed, passing league, apply-lather-rinse-repeat "

bamagiantfan

I'm still hoping they will select Dillon Johnson from Washington.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

President Rick

you can massage a TE to play FB for those few downs where a FB might matter - or shift a back-up OL into that spot.  All you want to do is shove a guy back 5-6 feet, not make the pro bowl.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

AZGiantFan

It depends as much or more on the OL as the RB.  It's also worth noting that it's hard to know who is going to be that guy based on thing like size and power.  Bradshaw was a better short yardage guy than Brandon Jacobs, for example.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TDToomer

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 27, 2024, 01:31:52 PMI'm perfectly happy with the quartet of Singletary, Gray, Miller, and Corbin.

Why are our standards so low? The Dolphins with the #1 running game still found a need to take a day 2 RB. It's maddening.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Quote from: TDToomer on April 27, 2024, 03:17:35 PMWhy are our standards so low? The Dolphins with the #1 running game still found a need to take a day 2 RB. It's maddening.
They had the number 1 running game because of everything else around them. Mostert was an undrafted free agent and Achane was taken with the 84th pick. We now have a guy taken 72nd overall, a guy taken at 172 and 2 undrafted guys.

Mostert was floundering on the 49ers and the Dolphins got him for nothing. So if they can have the best rushing attack paying pennies on the dollar using guys that aren't necessarily great but are being used properly why wouldn't I also want that for the Giants?

TONKA56

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 27, 2024, 03:39:08 PMThey had the number 1 running game because of everything else around them. Mostert was an undrafted free agent and Achane was taken with the 84th pick. We now have a guy taken 72nd overall, a guy taken at 172 and 2 undrafted guys.

Mostert was floundering on the 49ers and the Dolphins got him for nothing. So if they can have the best rushing attack paying pennies on the dollar using guys that aren't necessarily great but are being used properly why wouldn't I also want that for the Giants?

Are you saying the Mostert and Achane are just average JAGs and if you put Gary Brightwell on the Dolphins he'd excel? How far do you take this "product" of the system" philosophy?

Jclayton92

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 27, 2024, 03:54:53 PMAre you saying the Mostert are just average JAGs and if you put Gary Brightwell on the Dolphins he'd excel? How far do you take this "product" of the system" philosophy?
Gary Brightwell is not a RB, yes technically he plays RB but he is a specials team player period.

I'm saying if Devin Singletary and a healthy Eric Gray are on the Dolphins last year probably put up similar numbers.

Mostert has been in the NFL 9 years and has only had 2 good seasons, so how is he not a JAG?