News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Let's Try Movie Quotes Again...

Started by jimv, May 08, 2020, 07:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on September 18, 2020, 10:56:34 AM
I also liked this movie a lot. Never got the praise when it first came out, but developed into a sort of cult following until more people saw how good it really was.

Funny but I never saw the remake. Anyone--was that any good?

I have seen it. Switched the TV off after the first half was over.

Not nearly as good as the one from 1982.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: jimv on September 18, 2020, 09:41:38 AM
Gordon, you're obviously a heck of a lot younger than I & our movie tastes differ widely.

I actually just turned 40 on July 11th this year. How young or old we are is always a question of perspective.
Cause I feel old.  :laugh:

To be honest I do watch older movies as well... To give you an example I love the old Sergio Leone Western.
I also appreciate the Walter Matthau & Jack Lemmon comedies very much.

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on September 18, 2020, 10:53:14 AM
Softball

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

:D

Too many curve balls lately.  ;)

GordonGekko80

Quote from: LennG on September 18, 2020, 10:54:18 AM
This one I don't even have a guess

Director: Don Siegel - 1970

If I tell you who's starring in the movie you'll get it straight away. So I'll leave it at that.  ;)   

LennG

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on September 18, 2020, 11:14:17 AM
I actually just turned 40 on July 11th this year. How young or old we are is always a question of perspective.
Cause I feel old.  :laugh:

To be honest I do watch older movies as well... To give you an example I love the old Sergio Leone Western.
I also appreciate the Walter Matthau & Jack Lemmon comedies very much.

PLEASE believe me when I say this as I have a huge grin on my face, but what you consider watching 'older' movies, are, to some of us, modern Hollywood.

To some of us, movies with stars like Cagney, Bogart, Robinson, Fairbanks, Cooper. Stewart and the list could go on, those were movies. When Hollywood was a Studio thing and actors were paid employees of said studios,  and the stars were cranking out 3,4 5 movies a year.
Again, I LOVE Lemmon/Mathau movies, wouldn't miss one and the spaghetti westerns are also great, but there was a long history of movies way before those.

Just a quick note,  a while back, I recommended a movie to a poster here, one of my all time favorite 'action' movies, The Charge of the Light Brigade' with Errol Flynn. I grew up loving this movie, why I can't say, but it got me when I was young and I still love it. Anyway, he watched it and came back and said it was simply to simple, too foolish and really unbelievable to like it. As we say, to each his own, but many 'younger' folks, and I do put you in that category, just don't view these old Hollywood movies the way some of us, who grew up with them, do. Again, no offense and I also try and watch as many of the modern movies as I can. Just certain genres just don't do anything for me.
Movies years ago where made for adults, not children, not teens but for adults and families, in a way. Today most movies are made for the people who spend the most money on them, teens and millenials. When I went to a movie, I saw it and eventually it got to TV where I would probably watch it again. Now a days, people go to movies 3,4 even 5 times to see the same darn thing. Years ago, every movie theater changed movies every Friday nite. All movies played for one week and then moved on. Why, because, once people saw it, no one would come back and see it again, so they moved on the the next movie. Just a different world today.

But keep on putting up those quotes, it does me good to try and see what i can remember.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

GREAT post, Lenny!!!!  You said just what I have been thinking since Gordon claimed his "old" movies were the "Spaghetti Westerns."  And, Gordon, no offense meant.

Lenny spoke of "Charge of the Light Brigade."  It was one of Errol Flynn's movies.  My favorite growing up was "Gunga Din."  But, I loved them all!  We watched actors & actresses who knew how to act.  And, the films were made without computer assistance.  As a good example of that, I suggest you get a hold of the 1933 "King Kong."  It still stands as the unequivocal top version of that story.  And,  when you can get some movies by Gary Cooper, Errol Flynn, Jimmy Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Greer Garson, Olivia deHavilland, the Marx Brothers, Laurel & Hardy and many more.  Check out those '30s & '40s movies.  They may surprise you!

Oh, I forgot to mention.  Most of them are in Black & White! :greetings: :greetings: :greetings:

jimv

Famous Tag Lines:

1.  "I die the king's good servant, but God's first."

2.  "How do you live?"
     "I steal!"

3.  "People come, people go, but nothing ever happens."

4.  "I was reading a book the other day>
     "Reading a book?"
     "Yes, it's all about civilization or something.  A nutty kind of book.  You know,the guy says that macinery is going to take the place of every profession."
     "My dear, that's someting you need never worry about."

5    "It was beauty killed the beast!"

GordonGekko80

Guys, no offense whatsoever.

I take stuff like this very easily.  ;)

GordonGekko80

"When the xxxx hits the fan, some guys run and some guys stay".

jimv

At the beginning AND end of film:

"Last night I had a deadly dream.

Beyond the Isle of Skye...

I saw a dead man win a fight...

Abd I think that man was I."

jimv

Lenny, WHERE ARE YOUU?????????????????????????

GordonGekko80

"...you're wandering all over the track!"
"Yeah, well this son of a bitch just slammed into me."
"No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'."

LennG

Quote from: jimv on September 19, 2020, 04:45:57 PM
Famous Tag Lines:

1.  "I die the king's good servant, but God's first."  Man For All Seasons

2.  "How do you live?"
     "I steal!"

3.  "People come, people go, but nothing ever happens."   Grand Hotel

4.  "I was reading a book the other day>
     "Reading a book?"
     "Yes, it's all about civilization or something.  A nutty kind of book.  You know,the guy says that macinery is going to take the place of every profession."
     "My dear, that's someting you need never worry about."

Great line Dinner At Eight

5    "It was beauty killed the beast!"

Too Easy, I'll leave it for others.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: jimv on September 20, 2020, 12:16:44 PM
At the beginning AND end of film:

"Last night I had a deadly dream.

Beyond the Isle of Skye...

I saw a dead man win a fight...

Abd I think that man was I."

Have no idea

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Quote from: GordonGekko80 on September 20, 2020, 05:23:02 AM
"When the xxxx hits the fan, some guys run and some guys stay".

It sounds familiar, but I don't know

Charlie Weiss