News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Week 4 College Football

Started by Jclayton92, September 19, 2023, 11:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on September 20, 2023, 11:52:22 PMThey're not going anywhere because you need depth to win and they dont have it yet.  I think it's a great story for football.  Colorado would never be relevant doing it the usual way.  It needed a disruption such as what Deion did.  Now he has to see it through however if team outperforms, I can see a team with a bigger wallet come calling that is in the doldrums or massively underperforming.

This team has been awful right up through last year and now they're relevant. I totally agree that they're "going nowhere" with respect to the playoffs and probably even just the New Years 6 bowls (though nobody cares about these anymore), but they've suddenly become the biggest story in college football right now if not American sports. I don't really have a rooting bias but I'm enjoying it as a story. I know some don't like Deion's style, and I get the reasons why, but I just find the whole thing entertaining personally, and I think it's pretty impressive to do what he did in just a year, even given you now have the transfer portal. If it were this easy other new coaches would be going to irrelevant schools and doing the same thing too.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 21, 2023, 06:49:26 AMThis team has been awful right up through last year and now they're relevant. I totally agree that they're "going nowhere" with respect to the playoffs and probably even just the New Years 6 bowls (though nobody cares about these anymore), but they've suddenly become the biggest story in college football right now if not American sports. I don't really have a rooting bias but I'm enjoying it as a story. I know some don't like Deion's style, and I get the reasons why, but I just find the whole thing entertaining personally, and I think it's pretty impressive to do what he did in just a year, even given you now have the transfer portal. If it were this easy other new coaches would be going to irrelevant schools and doing the same thing too.

I agree completely with what you wrote.

I have never loved his me first attitude and showy personality but he got players to come and they are believing in him and they are playing well. As a story, it's a great one.

It will be interesting to see what happens when real adversity hits.

The difference between his attitude vs Tom Bradys shows up clearly in how they approach Sanders son buying a Rolls Riyce.  Sanders seems indifferent.  Brady says he should be more focused on spending time looking at film.

EDjohnst1981

Why is RGIII wearing his Grandma's glasses  :P

DaveBrown74

Apologies - I totally forgot we already had a week 4 college thread. My bad. Just delete or forget about the one I started.

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 23, 2023, 12:39:18 PMApologies - I totally forgot we already had a week 4 college thread. My bad. Just delete or forget about the one I started.
Sure they can merge because I already replied in yours.

nb587

I'm  going to disagree with a few of the posters here.  What's happening with Colorado here really should not be part of college sports.  I don't like college football much because there's so much hypocrisy here.  The NFL is totally money hungry but for the most part, they're pretty open about that.  The NCAA is also totally money hungry but for the most part, they're supposed to be about student athletes.  Sanders comes in to Colorado and basically gets rid of the whole team bringing in a whole new team.  There's something wrong with that from a college point of view.  There's no doubt in my mind that if Sanders stays there, he'll be bringing in top notch talent going forward. In my opinion, more than likely, he'll leave and go to!a bigger program and do something similar. 

JT39

They don't look really relevant today. TCU is an average team and their last two openers stink.

Jclayton92

My heart Is on my sleeve on this ole miss game.

Jclayton92

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nb587 on September 23, 2023, 03:28:23 PMI'm  going to disagree with a few of the posters here.  What's happening with Colorado here really should not be part of college sports.  I don't like college football much because there's so much hypocrisy here.  The NFL is totally money hungry but for the most part, they're pretty open about that.  The NCAA is also totally money hungry but for the most part, they're supposed to be about student athletes.  Sanders comes in to Colorado and basically gets rid of the whole team bringing in a whole new team.  There's something wrong with that from a college point of view.  There's no doubt in my mind that if Sanders stays there, he'll be bringing in top notch talent going forward. In my opinion, more than likely, he'll leave and go to!a bigger program and do something similar. 

I definitely don't think he's staying in Colorado that long. I don't think there are many people who think that. His next job will be at a top program for sure. Probably in the next 2-3 years.

sooners56

Sanders looking like Jones out there playing the 49ers, with no blocking, no WRs getting opened and playing a much more talented team!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

DaveBrown74

Tough loss for ND to get beat at the last second like that. I thought the two teams were evenly matched though, and I saw OSU ranked number one by some of the computers, so this isn't some catastrophic loss. If they bounce back and win in Duke next weekend (Duke is absolutely legit this year) they'll still be in the conversation. OSU obviously deserves credit for going in to a hostile environment in a huge night game and coming away with the W. Treyvon Henderson is no doubt a beast. Harrison Jr was more quiet - obviously his injury didn't help.

Nice job by the Cuse to take care of a business against Army. Their next three weeks are massive:

Clemson
at UNC
at FSU

If they can find a way to somehow win two of those (most likely the first two), that would be highly impressive.