News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants need to let the playmakers play

Started by MightyGiants, September 22, 2023, 08:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

Quote from: kingm56 on September 22, 2023, 09:28:07 AMIsn't that the point?  From his snap count, the Giants are keeping him on the sideline.  So, clearly, they don't view him as a 'playmaker' either.  What I don't understand is why we think Simmons is a playmaker, when his prior and current team clearly don't.  He was brought in to be a situational player...he's fulfilling that role. There was a good reason we got him for a 7th round pick.  You

They literally traded for him right before the season started, new playbook, no training camp... what like 3 snaps in preseason ?

We cant say that about Simmons without looking at players like Hyatt and Wandale... its a break in period obviously

Some of just feel he should be broken in even more

And we cant base everything off his old team

Dolphins turned flowers into a decent Guard... after being an atrocious Tackle with the Giants

Sometimes the grass is actually greener

JT39

I am not sure we have consistent playmakers outside Barkley (I exclude QBs in that phrase.)

MightyGiants

Quote from: JT39 on September 22, 2023, 09:37:00 AMI am not sure we have consistent playmakers outside Barkley (I exclude QBs in that phrase.)

Simmons showed, with the Cards, that he can make plays (albeit he has been inconsistent).   Hyatt has also shown to be a playmaker.  It's hard to make plays from the bench.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: killarich on September 22, 2023, 09:36:32 AMThey literally traded for him right before the season started, new playbook, no training camp... what like 3 snaps in preseason ?

We cant say that about Simmons without looking at players like Hyatt and Wandale... its a break in period obviously

Some of just feel he should be broken in even more

And we cant base everything off his old team

Dolphins turned flowers into a decent Guard... after being an atrocious Tackle with the Giants

Sometimes the grass is actually greener

Your example proves my point...Flowers was not a descent Guard.  He was the exact same player he was in NY, just moved to a new position to attempt to hide his warts.  Still, he struggled and lasted in Mia for a single season.  Decent guards don't play for 5 teams and out of football in 7 years. At best, he was a JAG...same as he was in NY. I suspect Simmons will follow the same trajectory, just like 99% of veterans entering their 5th year. 

T200

Quote from: kingm56 on September 22, 2023, 09:28:07 AMIsn't that the point?  From his snap count, the Giants are keeping him on the sideline.  So, clearly, they don't view him as a 'playmaker' either.  What I don't understand is why we think Simmons is a playmaker, when his prior and current team clearly don't.  He was brought in to be a situational player...he's fulfilling that role. There was a good reason we got him for a 7th round pick.

Do we think playing Simmons more would improve our defense?  I do not; fundamentally, our biggest problems are stopping the run and generating pressure.  Simmons is certainly not going to help with the former and has limited success with the latter over 4 seasons.  He's not going to make the difference between winning and loosing.
I agree that they are limiting his snaps, obviously. But I don't think we can make the correlation that they don't think he isn't a playmaker.

On the difference between winning and losing, I don't think the Giants defense is one player away. They need all the help they can get. They brought him... they need to use him.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on September 22, 2023, 09:46:06 AMI agree that they are limiting his snaps, obviously. But I don't think we can make the correlation that they don't think he isn't a playmaker.

On the difference between winning and losing, I don't think the Giants defense is one player away. They need all the help they can get. They brought him... they need to use him.

exactly  :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

The Giants played an elite defense. They played hard, but just are not good enough to stay with a team like SF. We can better judge them against middling teams like the Seahawks, Commanders, and Jets.

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on September 22, 2023, 09:46:06 AMI agree that they are limiting his snaps, obviously. But I don't think we can make the correlation that they don't think he isn't a playmaker.

I'm confused, Tim. You think the Giants would elect to keep a playmaker on the bench?  Can I ask why? 

BluesCruz

Quote from: B1GBLUE on September 22, 2023, 08:17:00 AMi get that guys need to earn their stripes. but hyatt is easily the most dynamic receiver we have. you have to at least try to get him involved. maybe they felt his strengths werent a good matchup against SF, but...who was? no one did well last night.

simmons i havent seen enough of, and he was a late signing. maybe he is still picking up the playbook. i think we'll see him settle in soon enough. also with mcfadden having a standout game, it takes away snaps from simmons.

the coaches failed us on offense.....sometimes if it walks and talks like a duck, it is indeed a duck
suprise!
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Rambo89

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 22, 2023, 09:53:20 AMthe coaches failed us on offense.....sometimes if it walks and talks like a duck, it is indeed a duck
suprise!

Or maybe the talent isn't what you think it is that they have to work with.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

True Blue

This is my issue, when they traded for him they talked a big games about their positionless defense, all the things he has done or can do, and how well he fit's everything. If that is the case, we're 1-2, he has a few games in now and he is a vet not a rookie, get him tf on the field.

T200

Quote from: kingm56 on September 22, 2023, 09:49:44 AMI'm confused, Tim. You think the Giants would elect to keep a playmaker on the bench?  Can I ask why?
Yes. I don't have the answers as to why. Offensively, same thing with Hyatt. Rich posted the snap counts for both Simmons and Hyatt.

Your stance is that Simmons isn't a playmaker or difference maker, so he shouldn't really be counted on to do much, especially since Arizona gave him away for peanuts. I take it that you trust the coaching staff to make the right decisions on player involvement and who should be on the field.

I trust them as well, but I also don't agree with all of their decisions. Simmons is fresh on the team. As I said earlier, I hope (expect) him to be more of a factor as the season goes on.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Stringer Bell

Hyatt most definitely should be playing more.

Simmons I'm a bit more torn on. I don't ever see Simmons as being an every-down LB or even a 75% snap guy. He has many holes in his game, and those holes should be avoided by playing him in the right situations. While 30% might be too low for him, I think he'd be a liability if out there the majority of the game. I'd rather get 5 big plays from him in limited snaps vs. 5 big plays and 5 big misses in a higher snap count.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Stringer Bell on September 22, 2023, 10:10:06 AMHyatt most definitely should be playing more.

Simmons I'm a bit more torn on. I don't ever see Simmons as being an every-down LB or even a 75% snap guy. He has many holes in his game, and those holes should be avoided by playing him in the right situations. While 30% might be too low for him, I think he'd be a liability if out there the majority of the game. I'd rather get 5 big plays from him in limited snaps vs. 5 big plays and 5 big misses in a higher snap count.

I agree that Simmons has holes in his game.  Although, having watched the Giants' defense the first 3 weeks, I am not sure that's a good reason to keep him on the bench as there appear to be plenty of players will holes in their game.  At least Simmons is capable of making plays that impact the game.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

killarich

I dont see how we can just give up on Simmons being a possible playmaker for us

If you think Flowers is a bad example

How about BJ Hill and Devon Kennard ?

Both were similar to Simmons in which they were just ehh starters or shown flashes ...go to new teams and look good ...

Difference is Simmons was obviously in a bad situation and misused

Its 3 games into the season ... I dont understand the negativity towards at least giving him a shot at a higher playcount