News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF heroes and goats for the 49ers game

Started by MightyGiants, September 22, 2023, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: sooners56 on September 22, 2023, 04:25:36 PMThose grades seem low for the Oline as it seemed Jones had decent to average protection. I seen one play where it appeared he had time to throw to Hyatt who wasn't open yet but was and if Jones just threw it it would have been a TD

I don't know, but I can say all my years of subscribing to PFF, I have never seen a worse collective pass-blocking grade for an O-line
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

Quote from: sooners56 on September 22, 2023, 04:25:36 PMThose grades seem low for the Oline as it seemed Jones had decent to average protection. I seen one play where it appeared he had time to throw to Hyatt who wasn't open yet but was and if Jones just threw it it would have been a TD

I saw that play as well. All he had to do was hoist one up and let Hyatt run under it. Maybe Jones is shell-shocked from all the abuse, but he is being paid big-time money, not to look for easy 5-yard gains which look good on the score sheet, but not on the scoreboard.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Why are we standing pat with this horrible OL? We know certain guys would be bagging groceries and not trying to protect our QB. I know, I know all the stories, but there has to some one better on some team's practice squad. They couldn't be any orse than what we already have. TRY SOMETHING.
Collins from Dallas is out there, and so is Pugh, and I'm sure several other guys would be willing to have a tryout. Why are we sticking with t his just horrible collection of so-called football players?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on September 22, 2023, 05:20:52 PMI saw that play as well. All he had to do was hoist one up and let Hyatt run under it. Maybe Jones is shell-shocked from all the abuse, but he is being paid big-time money, not to look for easy 5-yard gains which look good on the score sheet, but not on the scoreboard.
That's an unfair statement, Lenn.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on September 22, 2023, 07:36:32 PMWhy? Elaberate.
Because you accused him of making plays that look good on a stat sheet as if that's his intention, Lenn.

Watching the All-22, I'm able to see much more because I get two views of every play. One showing the entire field and one from behind the Line. I'm at around the mid third quarter and I can see that Jones missed a few plays where if he hung in there, he could have hit Hyatt twice downfield and a couple of high low options where he went low with the high open. On other plays however, the Receivers were either covered, the Oline broke down and he had to leave the pocket or hurry the throw or he was sacked, or the play call was to an intended Receiver.

He wasn't shell shocked this game. Quite frankly, the Oline played poorly even putting aside the lack of a running game. They whiffed in pass protection and run blocking. Many plays were designed for short throws.

You know that if I see DJ played a bad game, I wouldn't hold back as I have many times. This wasn't all on him. And he certainly wasn't intentionally taking the easy out. They would have been difficult throws or he just didn't see them before they developed and the other option was open. The thing with Hyatt, is he looks covered until he's down field and then he makes a move and accelerates to gain separation. I have to say, most QB's would have done the same thing if not all. It's going to have to take a leap of faith as the Rush is bearing down and then decide which way he's going to cut to throw the ball before he's actually open downfield. Eventually when they get on the same page through experience, they will be a lethal combination. But if the line doesn't hold up to give him the time to make an accurate throw, it's going to be tough.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

Quote from: LennG on September 22, 2023, 05:24:28 PMWhy are we standing pat with this horrible OL? We know certain guys would be bagging groceries and not trying to protect our QB. I know, I know all the stories, but there has to some one better on some team's practice squad. They couldn't be any orse than what we already have. TRY SOMETHING.
Collins from Dallas is out there, and so is Pugh, and I'm sure several other guys would be willing to have a tryout. Why are we sticking with t his just horrible collection of so-called football players?

To be fair Lenn chemistry with an offensive line is just as important as their ability.  If you're always changing up players on the line it's difficult to develop that chemistry.  Just look at the lines that made up the last set of championship teams.  Outside of Snee there wasn't an elite level linemen in those units.  But together they played well.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

BluesCruz

There has to be something wrong with these ratings

McFadden played the game of his life and was all over the field- he's a goat?

By that measure the much heralded Bobby O would be a lizard....this guy was supposed to solve all our MLB problem  NOT!!!!  3 games now I have never heard his name mentioned on any play

Also Williams and Lawrence should return their game checks for the reason- non-performance

Sean Lemeiux?  was it old timers night? give me a brake
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 23, 2023, 09:36:39 AMThere has to be something wrong with these ratings

McFadden played the game of his life and was all over the field- he's a goat?

By that measure the much heralded Bobby O would be a lizard....this guy was supposed to solve all our MLB problem  NOT!!!!  3 games now I have never heard his name mentioned on any play

Also Williams and Lawrence should return their game checks for the reason- non-performance

Sean Lemeiux?  was it old timers night? give me a brake
Williams and Lawrence were graded Elite.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Rambo89

You could make the argument through 3 games though it's not saying much that Dexter Lawrence has been their best player on either side of the ball.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

UncannyGfan

It's nice to see Davidson doing well.  If he develops into a good NT, he can help sustain's Lawrence elite level over the season.

DaveBrown74

If Jones is making plays designed solely to pad his stats, he's not doing a very good job, because his stats are, to put it as gently as I can, not very good. So I don't view that as the case either.

BluesCruz

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 23, 2023, 10:09:09 AMWilliams and Lawrence were graded Elite.

Did you think they were?  I understand at their weight and playing up the middle its hard to get to the QB
but I saw many plays where both were moved aside for McCaffery.

The money they are getting paid they both should be dominant not just OK.  Oh well the schedule eases up a bit now.  Its time to regroup and move up in the standings.  Im optomistic we can return to 2022 form.

I'm dying to see Grey at RB.  Hope he gets a series this coming game.  If we had kept Richie James there would be no fear of using our return man on regular downs. Who is backing up Grey as a returner?
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

Ed Vette

Quote from: BluesCruz on September 23, 2023, 11:33:19 AMDid you think they were?  I understand at their weight and playing up the middle its hard to get to the QB
but I saw many plays where both were moved aside for McCaffery.

The money they are getting paid they both should be dominant not just OK.  Oh well the schedule eases up a bit now.  Its time to regroup and move up in the standings.  Im optomistic we can return to 2022 form.

I'm dying to see Grey at RB.  Hope he gets a series this coming game.  If we had kept Richie James there would be no fear of using our return man on regular downs. Who is backing up Grey as a returner?
They have gap assignments and the ILBs fill the open gaps. Also are you sure on those plays they weren't Sub'd out? Look at the snap counts. PFF isolates every player for each of their snaps.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on September 22, 2023, 08:44:35 PMBecause you accused him of making plays that look good on a stat sheet as if that's his intention, Lenn.

Watching the All-22, I'm able to see much more because I get two views of every play. One showing the entire field and one from behind the Line. I'm at around the mid third quarter and I can see that Jones missed a few plays where if he hung in there, he could have hit Hyatt twice downfield and a couple of high low options where he went low with the high open. On other plays however, the Receivers were either covered, the Oline broke down and he had to leave the pocket or hurry the throw or he was sacked, or the play call was to an intended Receiver.

He wasn't shell shocked this game. Quite frankly, the Oline played poorly even putting aside the lack of a running game. They whiffed in pass protection and run blocking. Many plays were designed for short throws.

You know that if I see DJ played a bad game, I wouldn't hold back as I have many times. This wasn't all on him. And he certainly wasn't intentionally taking the easy out. They would have been difficult throws or he just didn't see them before they developed and the other option was open. The thing with Hyatt, is he looks covered until he's down field and then he makes a move and accelerates to gain separation. I have to say, most QB's would have done the same thing if not all. It's going to have to take a leap of faith as the Rush is bearing down and then decide which way he's going to cut to throw the ball before he's actually open downfield. Eventually when they get on the same page through experience, they will be a lethal combination. But if the line doesn't hold up to give him the time to make an accurate throw, it's going to be tough.

OK, Ed. Maybe  I wasn't clear. I don't think Jones was intentionally throwing soft easy passes just to pad his stats, but it seems as if that is his motif if you know what I mean. He is a lot more comfortable with a throw like that than hanging in there and making a better play. PLUS, if you remember during the game, they had a stat on the TV about Jones and his passing while under duress (I think it was something like 2-8) and while not under duress which was something like 12-16. So if he was able to throw 12 passes not under duress and had completions with them, they all were under 10 yards. Add to that, Purdy was rushed the entire game, something like 80% of his drop-backs, yet he fired off several long passes to his WRs that were caught or had a PI on them. Purdy has all of 10 games of experience, yet he trusts his WRs to catch something he throws up. This is Jones's 5th year and we still are talking the same old, same old, every week. Purdey is making the absolute minimum for an NFL player. Yet Jones is making 40 Mil a year and he can't throw a deep pass to a more than speedy WR? Really, something is wrong with this scenario.

Charlie Weiss