News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF heroes and goats for the 49ers game

Started by MightyGiants, September 22, 2023, 10:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 23, 2023, 09:10:15 AMTo be fair Lenn chemistry with an offensive line is just as important as their ability.  If you're always changing up players on the line it's difficult to develop that chemistry.  Just look at the lines that made up the last set of championship teams.  Outside of Snee there wasn't an elite level linemen in those units.  But together they played well.

Rambo

When you have guys like this playing on the OL, no amount of playing together is going to make them better. I fully understand what you are alluding to, but you have to have guys who know how to play a position out there to develop the cohesiveness.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on September 23, 2023, 12:30:28 PMOK, Ed. Maybe  I wasn't clear. I don't think Jones was intentionally throwing soft easy passes just to pad his stats, but it seems as if that is his motif if you know what I mean. He is a lot more comfortable with a throw like that than hanging in there and making a better play. PLUS, if you remember during the game, they had a stat on the TV about Jones and his passing while under duress (I think it was something like 2-8) and while not under duress which was something like 12-16. So if he was able to throw 12 passes not under duress and had completions with them, they all were under 10 yards. Add to that, Purdy was rushed the entire game, something like 80% of his drop-backs, yet he fired off several long passes to his WRs that were caught or had a PI on them. Purdy has all of 10 games of experience, yet he trusts his WRs to catch something he throws up. This is Jones's 5th year and we still are talking the same old, same old, every week. Purdey is making the absolute minimum for an NFL player. Yet Jones is making 40 Mil a year and he can't throw a deep pass to a more than speedy WR? Really, something is wrong with this scenario.
Ok, you have a good point there. Jones' YPA for this game was a little over 4. Just a couple of stats, that I know you hate. Aggressiveness for Purdy was 16.2% and Jones was just 6.3% so to your point, Purdy was more aggressive and threw into tight windows. Air yards to sticks show the distance to the first down marker and if the QB is counting on his receiver to get YAC to get the first down. Jones was closer with -3.9 and Purdy -5.1 yards. Completed air yards were close. Jones 3.4 and Purdy 4, as Purdy threw a lot of short swing and screen passes. So Purdy was more aggressive but his players gained over 200 yards after catch. I recall Jones was like 40. Deebo had an average of 13.3 YAC and Kittle had 7 average YAC. WDR- 2.9, Slayton- 1, Waller- 2.3 and Campbell- .5 YAC.

Aside from all that, Purdy got rid of the ball faster and his pressure was nowhere near the same that Jones had.   

I think you can see that Purdy had by far the better Receivers that day and Jones had dropped and deflected passes.

I agree with you that there were open receivers that Jones failed to throw to. There weren't that many though.

I can't believe I'm defending Daniel Jones. Rich, where are you? Isn't this your job? lol

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving/2023/REG/3#yards
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing/2023/REG/3#average-intended-yards
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Just a quick point. Deebo, Kittle, and CMC earned their YACatch and YAContact. There was poor tackling but they played a monster game and they deserve credit. If it was the other way around and Breda, Waller and Slayton had those numbers, we would be  :Chestram:  :Chestram:  :Chestram: all over the place. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kartanoman

Quote from: T200 on September 22, 2023, 02:39:48 PMThey need to recalculate the weight of missed tackles. He's credited with 9 solo tackles, 4 for a loss. One of the few defensive bright spots last night.

Giants' Player of the Week, and it isn't even close the first runner up.

Forget the stat sheet, that kid was all over the place and his picture-perfect tackle on McCaffrey belongs on the season highlight reel.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

kartanoman

Quote from: LennG on September 23, 2023, 12:30:28 PMOK, Ed. Maybe  I wasn't clear. I don't think Jones was intentionally throwing soft easy passes just to pad his stats, but it seems as if that is his motif if you know what I mean. He is a lot more comfortable with a throw like that than hanging in there and making a better play. PLUS, if you remember during the game, they had a stat on the TV about Jones and his passing while under duress (I think it was something like 2-8) and while not under duress which was something like 12-16. So if he was able to throw 12 passes not under duress and had completions with them, they all were under 10 yards. Add to that, Purdy was rushed the entire game, something like 80% of his drop-backs, yet he fired off several long passes to his WRs that were caught or had a PI on them. Purdy has all of 10 games of experience, yet he trusts his WRs to catch something he throws up. This is Jones's 5th year and we still are talking the same old, same old, every week. Purdey is making the absolute minimum for an NFL player. Yet Jones is making 40 Mil a year and he can't throw a deep pass to a more than speedy WR? Really, something is wrong with this scenario.

Hi Lenn,

I like your observation here. I think what you witnessed on Thursday is less of a 5th year QB versus a 2nd year Mr. Irrelevant. The latter, whom I watch almost on a weekly basis, is a diamond in the rough for Shanahan's offensive system and his work ethic, as was described on the pre-game profile of him, shows this kid has a passion and determination about him which that 49ers team feeds off of and everything just "clicked" when he took the field as a starter last year. The kid has yet to lose a game in this league! (NOTE: I'm not counting that NFC Championship last year because of his injury; I still feel he would have beaten the Iggles had that injury not occurred).

Maybe that's all it is. Even Mr. Irrelevant can have the "it" factor. Seems like it's so in San Francisco.

As far as the Giants are concerned, I share your frustration that the offense, as a whole, has disappointed us greatly to start the season.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Trench

Quote from: kartanoman on September 24, 2023, 02:33:22 PMHi Lenn,

I like your observation here. I think what you witnessed on Thursday is less of a 5th year QB versus a 2nd year Mr. Irrelevant. The latter, whom I watch almost on a weekly basis, is a diamond in the rough for Shanahan's offensive system and his work ethic, as was described on the pre-game profile of him, shows this kid has a passion and determination about him which that 49ers team feeds off of and everything just "clicked" when he took the field as a starter last year. The kid has yet to lose a game in this league! (NOTE: I'm not counting that NFC Championship last year because of his injury; I still feel he would have beaten the Iggles had that injury not occurred).

Maybe that's all it is. Even Mr. Irrelevant can have the "it" factor. Seems like it's so in San Francisco.

As far as the Giants are concerned, I share your frustration that the offense, as a whole, has disappointed us greatly to start the season.

Peace!

Let's hope we have the same diamond in the rough on our practice squad