News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Who else thinks if the O line performed well we would have beat the 49ers?

Started by GloryDays, September 22, 2023, 04:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloryDays

I know the team had other issues Thursday night against the niners, bad tackling, missed opportunities, penalties ... but until the middle of the 4th quarter, this team still managed to come as close as one score.

So my question is, can we mainly blame the O line and their inabilities as a group to semi-consistently provide decent time for DJ to throw, and a little better blocking for the running game?

Rambo89

We do understand that according to Next Gen Stats Jones's average time to pass was actually better than Purdy's was?  Just want to make sure this wasn't missed.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

kingm56

Quote from: GloryDays on September 22, 2023, 04:38:20 PMI know the team had other issues Thursday night against the niners, bad tackling, missed opportunities, penalties ... but until the middle of the 4th quarter, this team still managed to come as close as one score.

So my question is, can we mainly blame the O line and their inabilities as a group to semi-consistently provide decent time for DJ to throw, and a little better blocking for the running game?

No!  The 9ers are better across the board.

bamagiantfan

There were some missed tackles that resulted in huge gains and two plays that should have been interceptions in the first half. Those missed opportunities resulted in points.

I thought the O-Line played well enough and actually thought the left side, to my surprise, outplayed the guys on the right.

So, if the Giants O-line had been better it still would have been a tall order to overcome a 30 point effort from the 49ers in their home stadium.

I thought the Giants would be 1-2 at this point in the season. They could easily have been 0-3. The last 6 quarters were much better than the first 6 quarters and that was with guys hurt. I think the Giants are figuring out how to use all of their new weapons on Offense. I see more upside than downside going forward. Continuous improvement. I'll take that.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

jgrangers2

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 22, 2023, 04:40:24 PMWe do understand that according to Next Gen Stats Jones's average time to pass was actually better than Purdy's was?  Just want to make sure this wasn't missed.

That stat is really bad at telling you who had better protection. If you honestly watched that game and felt the Giants O-line held up better than the 49ers, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.

Rambo89

Quote from: jgrangers2 on September 23, 2023, 11:08:51 AMThat stat is really bad at telling you who had better protection. If you honestly watched that game and felt the Giants O-line held up better than the 49ers, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in.

Giants line didn't play that poorly all things considered.  It wasn't the reason why they lost.  The other side of the ball is why they lost.

BluesCruz

Quote from: GloryDays on September 22, 2023, 04:38:20 PMI know the team had other issues Thursday night against the niners, bad tackling, missed opportunities, penalties ... but until the middle of the 4th quarter, this team still managed to come as close as one score.

Its quite possible we would have won.  We played poorly and they played like the Cowboys at home- lots of passion and extra effort.  While our offense looked like 11 Prince Valiums from Star Wars

I like the fact Wink brought maximum pressure on them.  But for that we would have been out of the game by halftime
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

B1GBLUE

jgrangers2

Quote from: Rambo89 on September 23, 2023, 11:18:05 AMGiants line didn't play that poorly all things considered.  It wasn't the reason why they lost.  The other side of the ball is why they lost.

It wasn't good. Jones was pressured on something like 50% of his dropbacks. Part of the reason why Purdy's TTT was lower is because the Giants blitzed a lot and he was getting the ball out quickly.

DaveBrown74

I don't feel that way at all. This wasn't about one unit not getting the job done. This team was better than ours from front to back. We don't have guys like Kittle, Bosa, Deebo, Warner, McCaffrey etc on our team. They do. They're simply way more talented on both sides of the ball than we are. Most of us acknowledged that before this game, and I don't feel any differently afterwards.

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on September 23, 2023, 11:59:38 AMI don't feel that way at all. This wasn't about one unit not getting the job done. This team was better than ours from front to back. We don't have guys like Kittle, Bosa, Deebo, Warner, McCaffrey etc on our team. They do. They're simply way more talented on both sides of the ball than we are. Most of us acknowledged that before this game, and I don't feel any differently afterwards.
Can you imagine if Aiyuk played?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

They were not good enough anywhere but I did not feel like the 49ers dominated (at least the way Dallas did).

Rambo89

Quote from: jgrangers2 on September 23, 2023, 11:54:39 AMIt wasn't good. Jones was pressured on something like 50% of his dropbacks. Part of the reason why Purdy's TTT was lower is because the Giants blitzed a lot and he was getting the ball out quickly.

It wasn't awful and it wasn't nearly the reason the Giants lost.  The poor play by the Giants defense and their inability to get off the field was the reason they lost.

nb587

Just responding to the heading of your post.  If you live in NJ, can you tell me what cannabis shop you get your stuff from?  It would be worth driving far to get that kind of stuff.

katkavage