News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Well xxxx - "Patriots Way" doesn't fly with Wink

Started by GeauxJints, November 30, 2023, 09:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killarich

If this is true, I hope they mend fences

A new coaching style could stall any improvement we have seen with certain players (including Dex).  We have seen defense change from Agressive to a zone type defense and certain players not transition well.

Losing Wink would be a huge loss

Ed Vette

This is what the NY media does. Finally the ship is pointing in the right direction and with nothing else to report, they continue to pick at it and it takes on a life of its own.

Good for Wink for standing up for himself as a Veteran Coach but good for Daboll for having the balls to call a spade a spade. The wheels were coming off the Defensive and the last two weeks they went from xxxx Show to Magic Show.

I like that Daboll believes in accountability and not just talks the talk. If it's behind closed doors, that's where it should be handled. That said, Daboll needs to recognize that maybe taking a chapter out of the Parcells book is prudent. You can't treat or speak to every man the same way. You find out what works and adjust on the way. I think he gets that as it's evident in how he mentors Tommy and after being frustrated, he needed to show he was visibly upset with Daniel Jones.

I have to say, whatever transpired between him and Wink, set the Defense back on track.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

T200

I also stand by my statement in the other thread: two strong-willed personalities may clash but neither will walk away with bruised egos.

If the reports are true, Wink is capable of handling himself and said exactly what he wanted from Daboll. I'm good with it and as long as Daboll checks himself, all will be fine. If not, there could be a change.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 30, 2023, 10:02:15 AMThis is what the NY media does. Finally the ship is pointing in the right direction and with nothing else to report, they continue to pick at it and it takes on a life of its own.

Probably more due to the fact they're losing this year that there's friction on the team. These types of slights and indiscretions are largely ignored when the team is doing well. Also, Glazer isn't NY media and he reported this first--I don't find him to be particularly biased or hot-take-y (for lack of a better word). Now that it's out there, it's getting picked up though...

Ed Vette

I think back on how many times Gary Myers and Paul Schwartz fired Tom Coughlin because he lost the team.

Sometimes I think the only one who focus' on what's important is Patty Traina. She had some excellent questions at Daboll's presser.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Good discussion. One more point...

IMO when things implode there's a need to look everywhere in placing blame (and I agree with that methodology).

Don't forget about the criticism coming from the players (McKinney in particular).

IMO this recent "incident" (if real) was just Daboll was doing his "due diligence" in response to McKinney, etc.

I don't think it's a big deal. IMO it should be "business-as-usual" for a head coach. That's his job.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

coggs

I get Martinadale's side and I get Daboll's.  The Defense has been bad this year.  The only good team they played well against was Buffalo.  Washington turned the ball over 6 times and still had a chance to win 2 weeks ago.  The Patriots might be the worst team in the league despite a better record than Carolina. 

Someone mentioned in another thread that maybe the "game ball" to martindale was an "f you" or maybe it was a peace offering.  We shall see.  But, there very well may be a new DC next season whether Martindale is hired away as a head coach somewhere else or not.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: coggs on November 30, 2023, 11:25:20 AMI get Martinadale's side and I get Daboll's.  The Defense has been bad this year.  The only good team they played well against was Buffalo.  Washington turned the ball over 6 times and still had a chance to win 2 weeks ago.  The Patriots might be the worst team in the league despite a better record than Carolina. 

Someone mentioned in another thread that maybe the "game ball" to martindale was an "f you" or maybe it was a peace offering.  We shall see.  But, there very well may be a new DC next season whether Martindale is hired away as a head coach somewhere else or not.

I saw the video of giving Wink the gameball and that's not how it came across to me. Seemed more like an olive branch.

GeauxJints

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 30, 2023, 10:02:15 AMThis is what the NY media does. Finally the ship is pointing in the right direction and with nothing else to report, they continue to pick at it and it takes on a life of its own.

Good for Wink for standing up for himself as a Veteran Coach but good for Daboll for having the balls to call a spade a spade. The wheels were coming off the Defensive and the last two weeks they went from xxxx Show to Magic Show.

I like that Daboll believes in accountability and not just talks the talk. If it's behind closed doors, that's where it should be handled. That said, Daboll needs to recognize that maybe taking a chapter out of the Parcells book is prudent. You can't treat or speak to every man the same way. You find out what works and adjust on the way. I think he gets that as it's evident in how he mentors Tommy and after being frustrated, he needed to show he was visibly upset with Daniel Jones.

I have to say, whatever transpired between him and Wink, set the Defense back on track.

I don't think the "Patriots Way" translates well outside of New England with the greatest coach of all time. Especially as your first head coaching job, you don't really have the right to be a dick to a guy who has led top defenses in this league for years. I get the accountability thing, and I like that, but Daboll has made some really dumb decisions so far this year.

What coaches that learned under Belicheck in New England have gone on to be very successful? We already saw Judge.... Matt Patricia was awful, Josh McDaniels is atrocious, I like Vrabel but don't think he ever coached under BB. Eric Mangini.... Brian Flores.... Bill O'Brien...

I think the "Patriot's Way" only works for one guy and that's honestly probably because he was blessed with Brady for 2 damn decades.

AZGiantFan

So far, the "Patriots Way" seems to only work when a team has the GOAT playing QB for them.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Giant Obsession

"Patriots Way" ???

Heck Daboll should have learned by now that is just about the only team we consistently own.

Ownership, including Schoen should have a talk with Daboll, like they did with TC.

HC, much like players need to develop and improve as their career progresses.

Outside of going for 2 points in last years openerDaboll hasn't shown me anything extraordinary....and this year he showed me things that seriously make me wonder.

I am beginning to think Kafka is not the fly in the ointment on this team and now it appears it ain't Wink either.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

MightyGiants

The Athletic's Mike Sando (one of the two actual writers that media leech Dan Benton used for his article) made some very good points in his article.

Daboll did something a bit unusual when he put together his staff.  He hired many coaches that he had never worked with before or knew well.  While this would seem like the best way to optimize a coaching staff, it does seem like it would increase the chances of friction between coaches.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on November 30, 2023, 12:07:33 PMSo far, the "Patriots Way" seems to only work when a team has the GOAT playing QB for them.
AZR: Yeah, I'll never forget Little Bill also coached in Cleveland for a while. lol
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

GeauxJints

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 30, 2023, 01:20:01 PMThe Athletic's Mike Sando (one of the two actual writers that media leech Dan Benton used for his article) made some very good points in his article.

Daboll did something a bit unusual when he put together his staff.  He hired many coaches that he had never worked with before or knew well.  While this would seem like the best way to optimize a coaching staff, it does seem like it would increase the chances of friction between coaches.
Especially when Wink interviewed for the HC job in the past. Doesnt seem like the type of guy that's gonna take xxxx from a guy who has proven nothing and took the job he was looking to get.

Sigh, NYG football baby.