News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Agree or Disagree?

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, December 06, 2023, 01:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Quote from: sooners56 on December 06, 2023, 05:57:15 PMSo not many believe an ELITE WR is needed more than Oline? The Oline already has three very high draft picks. Coaching may be more of an issue than the talent of the olineman.

I am not ready to declare Hyatt elite, but I think he's awfully talented and has a chance to be a top flight NFL receiver. No doubt we could use more help though, whether that is true or not. An elite receiver doesn't help you score lots of points though if your QB play is terrible (see Garrett Wilson on the Jets).

uconnjack8

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 06, 2023, 06:10:49 PMI am not ready to declare Hyatt elite, but I think he's awfully talented and has a chance to be a top flight NFL receiver. No doubt we could use more help though, whether that is true or not. An elite receiver doesn't help you score lots of points though if your QB play is terrible (see Garrett Wilson on the Jets).

But wasn't he answering the question based on comparison to any position except QB? Like WR he thinks is more of a need than OL, NOT QB.

Giantleap56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 06, 2023, 01:55:03 PMJustin Herbert won OROY behind the 32nd ranked O line (PFF rankings) in the league. Numerous QBs have played materially better than Jones behind bad O lines.

I'm not saying the O line doesn't need work. Clearly it does. But it's easier to draft guards than QBs. They can also be signed in free agency more readily. Further, if we draft a QB, he doesn't have to play as a rookie. We have 6 picks after the first round, and multiple ones can be used on O line. If they are looking for a new starting QB, it is unlikely that they get a better chance than this next draft given the situation they're in and the robustness of the incoming QB class. If (and only if) they are high on one of the QBs who is available to them, I think they should take him, and I am pretty sure they will. That doesn't mean they'll be neglecting the O line.

Justin Herbert, come on people try working with with an atrocious O-line and no receivers and an injured RB. No play makers for TV e defense to even worry about. Outside of the Cardinals game Daboll didn't even use Jaylin Hyatt.

Herbert has a bad O-line, no one mentions that he has receivers, TE and running back.

No QB could have done with what the Giants have been selling.  They have no contingency plans. You know how important Andrew Thomas is to this team. Just look at 49ers. Without Trent they are 0-3. Trent is to 49ers what Thomas is to the Giants. That's thy e way it is without him the QB was going to suffer as well as the RB unless you have a good Back up ready to replace your best OL. The Giants didn't.

Jclayton92

Quote from: Giantleap56 on December 06, 2023, 06:36:50 PMJustin Herbert, come on people try working with with an atrocious O-line and no receivers and an injured RB. No play makers for TV e defense to even worry about. Outside of the Cardinals game Daboll didn't even use Jaylin Hyatt.

Herbert has a bad O-line, no one mentions that he has receivers, TE and running back.

No QB could have done with what the Giants have been selling.  They have no contingency plans. You know how important Andrew Thomas is to this team. Just look at 49ers. Without Trent they are 0-3. Trent is to 49ers what Thomas is to the Giants. That's thy e way it is without him the QB was going to suffer as well as the RB unless you have a good Back up ready to replace your best OL. The Giants didn't.

Then what's the excuse for the other 58 games in which the Qb has played bad football? The other issue is that Jones was still playing badly and a Journeyman and a rookie easily outplayed him which should never happen.

BluesCruz

Quote from: President Rick on December 06, 2023, 01:48:22 PMname any QB who could succeed behind the OL's we have fielded this season or last.

any one.  past or present.

we have to fix the OL first.

I'll name one- Tommy DeVito
He had tons of time against the Patriots, the line is coming around... Bill Belichick teams are tough to score on

Hey he did enough to win (Thanks to Hodgins highlight reel play)

But point is he is winning   As Al Davis would say "Just Win Baby!"

Its too bad he had to get his feet wet against the Boys, but he might win or keep it close were there a re-match.

We finally have ourselves a QB, I think.  So far so good
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

WheresDayne

I am in the camp that you can never have enough edge rushers.  Eli may have been Super Bowl MVP but we beat the Patriots because of our NASCAR package..  Throwing a relentless attack at Brady of Strahan, Tuck Umenoyra, Kiwanuka, etc gave him little to no time to pass.  It's fun to watch a high powered offense but when it's fun to watch a defense, that's football!!

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 06, 2023, 06:10:49 PMI am not ready to declare Hyatt elite, but I think he's awfully talented and has a chance to be a top flight NFL receiver. No doubt we could use more help though, whether that is true or not. An elite receiver doesn't help you score lots of points though if your QB play is terrible (see Garrett Wilson on the Jets).
Hyatt with the right Qb could be the closest thing to Tyreke Hill other than Tyreke. The true speed and quickness with the desire and toughness. I think if we get an actual Qb Hyatt could be truly special.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on December 07, 2023, 12:54:32 PMHyatt with the right Qb could be the closest thing to Tyreke Hill other than Tyreke. The true speed and quickness with the desire and toughness. I think if we get an actual Qb Hyatt could be truly special.

Agreed. I'm not declaring him elite, as to this point he has not actually shown the consistent high level production, but it's obvious he is very talented I'm not putting a cap on him either. I think he could potentially end up being a Devonta Smith type.