News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The Drew Lock-Bo Nix comparison

Started by Ed Vette, May 16, 2024, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"He (Nix) had two or three down-the-field throws today. It's almost like watching a good golfer. Sometimes when you watch his game over two years, there's a patience to how he plays. The ball comes out, and—I don't want to use the term 'boring,' that's not the right term, but [he makes] pretty good decisions. With each play, the efficiency of how he's operating, and all of that."

"Former Denver Broncos head coach Vic Fangio is a big baseball fan, and he pulled out a baseball analogy during Drew Lock's rookie training camp to paint a picture of where Lock was at when he was in his first NFL camp coming out of Missouri:

"I don't think he's far along being a ready NFL quarterback as he could have been. That's what I mean when he's got to get ready. He's not a quarterback yet. He's a hard throwing pitcher that doesn't know how to pitch yet, so the faster he gets that the better off he'll be and we'll be."

https://predominantlyorange.com/posts/sean-payton-comments-on-bo-nix-reveal-just-how-bad-drew-lock-was-for-broncos-01hy12zbanka

Meanwhile, early reports out of NE on Drake Maye, are not glowing. He's got a lot of work to do.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 16, 2024, 09:53:33 PM"He (Nix) had two or three down-the-field throws today. It's almost like watching a good golfer. Sometimes when you watch his game over two years, there's a patience to how he plays. The ball comes out, and—I don't want to use the term 'boring,' that's not the right term, but [he makes] pretty good decisions. With each play, the efficiency of how he's operating, and all of that."

"Former Denver Broncos head coach Vic Fangio is a big baseball fan, and he pulled out a baseball analogy during Drew Lock's rookie training camp to paint a picture of where Lock was at when he was in his first NFL camp coming out of Missouri:

"I don't think he's far along being a ready NFL quarterback as he could have been. That's what I mean when he's got to get ready. He's not a quarterback yet. He's a hard throwing pitcher that doesn't know how to pitch yet, so the faster he gets that the better off he'll be and we'll be."

https://predominantlyorange.com/posts/sean-payton-comments-on-bo-nix-reveal-just-how-bad-drew-lock-was-for-broncos-01hy12zbanka

Meanwhile, early reports out of NE on Drake Maye, are not glowing. He's got a lot of work to do.

Interesting regarding Maye as it pertains to our own scouting dept which wanted to give up the ship for the guy. Obviously it's week one and time will tell. Interesting however

Ed Vette

Quote from: Trench on Today at 01:05:18 AMInteresting regarding Maye as it pertains to our own scouting dept which wanted to give up the ship for the guy. Obviously it's week one and time will tell. Interesting however
They all knew he needed to sit a spell and work on his mechanics and skills to transition to the next level.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Ed Vette on Today at 06:30:54 AMThey all knew he needed to sit a spell and work on his mechanics and skills to transition to the next level.
Ed: Right. It's the ceiling that prompted the Giants to try to draft him (assuming that is the player they would have drafted if the Pats had agreed to the trade offer, assuming there WAS such an offer). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Trench on Today at 01:05:18 AMInteresting regarding Maye as it pertains to our own scouting dept which wanted to give up the ship for the guy. Obviously it's week one and time will tell. Interesting however

Actually, no one except Schoen knows what was offered or even how seriously he was...or if there was really an offer ever made in the first place. I've read dozens of reports, and they are all built on conjecture followed by wild-ass guesses. The actual "offer" is sheer speculation and nothing more. But now it's NFL Gospel, built upon pundits quoting other pundits quoting "insiders" (there were no leaks, LOL), that the Giants wanted Maye, and were willing to mortgage the farm to get him. Schoen might have been serious, might have been gauging the Patriots' real interest, or a complete ruse to throw other teams off their trail...who knows? No one except Schoen and the Patriots' Eliot Wolf. But I expect to hear for the next few years that the Giants wanted Maye...yet we'll never know unless Schoen retires and decides to share his strategy going into the 2024 draft

I also read (prior to the draft), that Maye's stock had been falling, perhaps even to the back end of round one. Then within a week of the draft, his stock went back up  :-?? I also read that he was Daniel Jones 2.0. I also read that his talent did not match his hype, etc., etc. But I guess it makes sense that fans (hoping for a new QB project) believe that Schoen wasn't interested in a top WR when he could have gotten a QB to set us back several years. Personally, I hope Maye succeeds (unless playing the Giants), and maybe he will. I'm just glad we're not the ones with our fingers crossed, hoping that Maye is so much better than DJ that we have visions of super bowls dancing in our heads
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on Today at 09:16:57 AMActually, no one except Schoen knows what was offered or even how seriously he was...or if there was really an offer ever made in the first place. I've read dozens of reports, and they are all built on conjecture followed by wild-ass guesses. The actual "offer" is sheer speculation and nothing more. But now it's NFL Gospel, built upon pundits quoting other pundits quoting "insiders" (there were no leaks, LOL), that the Giants wanted Maye, and were willing to mortgage the farm to get him. Schoen might have been serious, might have been gauging the Patriots' real interest, or a complete ruse to throw other teams off their trail...who knows? No one except Schoen and the Patriots' Eliot Wolf. But I expect to hear for the next few years that the Giants wanted Maye...yet we'll never know unless Schoen retires and decides to share his strategy going into the 2024 draft

I also read (prior to the draft), that Maye's stock had been falling, perhaps even to the back end of round one. Then within a week of the draft, his stock went back up  :-?? I also read that he was Daniel Jones 2.0. I also read that his talent did not match his hype, etc., etc. But I guess it makes sense that fans (hoping for a new QB project) believe that Schoen wasn't interested in a top WR when he could have gotten a QB to set us back several years. Personally, I hope Maye succeeds (unless playing the Giants), and maybe he will. I'm just glad we're not the ones with our fingers crossed, hoping that Maye is so much better than DJ that we have visions of super bowls dancing in our heads

The Giants were apparently high on Maye.  However, he was a polarizing prospect with some NFL caliber evaluators predicting Maye will crash and burn.

I don't know how Maye will turn out.  I am mindful that fixing mechanical and consistency issues are more difficult to fix than Josh Allen made it look.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on Today at 09:16:57 AMActually, no one except Schoen knows what was offered or even how seriously he was...or if there was really an offer ever made in the first place. I've read dozens of reports, and they are all built on conjecture followed by wild-ass guesses. The actual "offer" is sheer speculation and nothing more. But now it's NFL Gospel, built upon pundits quoting other pundits quoting "insiders" (there were no leaks, LOL), that the Giants wanted Maye, and were willing to mortgage the farm to get him. Schoen might have been serious, might have been gauging the Patriots' real interest, or a complete ruse to throw other teams off their trail...who knows? No one except Schoen and the Patriots' Eliot Wolf. But I expect to hear for the next few years that the Giants wanted Maye...yet we'll never know unless Schoen retires and decides to share his strategy going into the 2024 draft

There were reports that he only offered next year's First and not this year's second. To me the fact that he had JJ McCarthy fall to him and he didn't draft him or trade down, shows me they had no intention of drafting a QB where they sat. JJ like Maye would have been a the perfect QB to sit and learn for a year. When they signed Lock, they had their backup plan in place. I think if Jones stays healthy, he's their QB through 2025.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 09:36:41 AMThe Giants were apparently high on Maye.  However, he was a polarizing prospect with some NFL caliber evaluators predicting Maye will crash and burn.

I don't know how Maye will turn out.  I am mindful that fixing mechanical and consistency issues are more difficult to fix than Josh Allen made it look.

Maye scared the hell out of me and was the only QB of the top picks I actively hoped the Giants would avoid.  Was surprised to see they seemed to like him the most and were willing to trade up to get him so I'm very happy that deal fell through. 

Painter

We are ready to make comparisons and draw conclusions based on a couple of days of Rookie Minicamp? Say it ain't so. Pleeease!

Cheers!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Painter on Today at 10:12:34 AMWe are ready to make comparisons and draw conclusions based on a couple of days of Rookie Minicamp? Say it ain't so. Pleeease!

Cheers!

The article is. We can go back to the DJ Tug Of War.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

If DJ falters, do you think the Giants see Lock as his heir replacement so a rookie QB was never really an option?

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on Today at 10:26:59 AMIf DJ falters, do you think the Giants see Lock as his heir replacement so a rookie QB was never really an option?
For this year, yes. Next year they may choose to go to the FA Market again based on Lock's performance. Unless they get one of the top three picks in the draft. I can see them interested in Cousins.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on Today at 10:26:59 AMIf DJ falters, do you think the Giants see Lock as his heir replacement so a rookie QB was never really an option?

If DJ falters, I think Lock gets a shot.  I don't know if I would say the odds are favorable that Lock will prove to be a franchise QB.  That said, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities that Lock surprises in a good way.  Lock seemed to come into the league not fully appreciating what it took to be an NFL QB.  Even Lock's father confirmed that.  Lock does seem to appreciate now what it takes.  Combine Lock's natural talent (which is NFL caliber) with a QB whisperer like Daboll, and you never know.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE