News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

THINGS THAT HAVE ANNOYED AMERICANS IN RECENT MONTHS

Started by MightyGiants, Today at 11:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

.... Grocery prices – 47%
Politicians – 41%
Someone else's driving/driving habits – 29%
Crowds – 23%
Weather – 21%
Customer service – 19%
Social media trends – 17%
Tipping culture – 16%
Music you don't like – 15%
TV volume being too loud – 15%
Ticket prices (concerts/events) – 14%
Products locked behind plastic on the shelves – 14%
AI – 14%
Reality TV – 14%
Self-checkouts – 13%
Computer issues – 13%
Tech billionaires – 12%
Parking – 10%
Movies being too dark – 9%
Text language/abbreviations – 8%

https://talkerresearch.com/20-things-that-americans-find-annoying-about-modern-life/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Good list.

One that really speaks to me is "tipping culture." I couldn't agree more that this has become annoying. In fact, I would say it has gotten out of control.

I have always considered myself a very good tipper. I recognize that waiting tables is not an easy job, and I appreciate good service and believe those providing it should be compensated. I usually tip a minimum of 20% in restaurants, and sometimes 25% if the service was really outstanding and the place wasn't a blatant ripoff. I am also pretty generous with barbers, hotel employees, cab drivers, delivery people, etc.

With all that said, there are appropriates times and places for tipping, and there are times and places when it is not appropriate. It is appropriate when someone provides you a personal service, such as being waited on in a restaurant, having your bags handled by a hotel bellhop, or getting a haircut. It is not appropriate when you go to a store, buy something, pay at the register and walk out of the store with the item. More and more now you see very aggressive requests for tips in these types of situations. Oftentimes, you're forced into an awkward situation where you need to click specifically how much you want to tip with the checkout person standing there staring at the screen you're about to click. I don't get bullied into tipping in these situations because I feel I very clearly understand when tipping is appropriate and when it is not, but I suspect many do. It is clear that more and more employers are trying to farm out their own responsibility to compensate employees to their customers, and it's wrong. I'm not surprised it came up in this list.

Ed Vette

If people spent more time in gratitude, they wouldn't be so miserable and attracting negativity and the things they hate so much. 
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin