News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Joe Torre and his retired number

Started by Giant Obsession, June 25, 2019, 01:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giant Obsession

First, I love Joe Torre, the player, the manager, the man. 

Such justice for him that many managers never receive to get to manage a club with TALENT.

And he very ably guided those teams except for a blip or two...the midges and the '04 collapse..

Anyway, ever since the Yanks announced they were retiring his No. 6 it has been like a dagger to me.

You see there was ANOTHER No. 6, not so long ago.   A Number 6 who was on 2 World Series winners.  A number 6 who before that played at least 10 -12 years on Yankee teams that bordered on awful.  And was an exemplary player with a career avg. of 271.  And would lead the league in walks one year and set a record for sacrifice flies the next.  His only flaw was a middlin' throwing arm, yet he would lead the AL four consective years in fielding average.

Now these are not blow you away stats, but pretty damn good stuff on a team that rarely reached .500 in over a decade.  Yes, Mr. Torre had quite a nice run as a pinstripe manager, but for me the other number 6 had as equally impressive a run as a player during the Dark Ages most Yankee fans never want to talk about.

And it will forever be a blot on the Yankees and even Mr. Torre (who in my world should have insisted) that ROY WHITE is not honored in the same manner as the number 6 who hangs on the wall in Monument Park.

Thank you for letting me get this out, it has been festering for quite a while. 
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon