News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

At least Schoen isn't falling into the tramp of over estimating his roster

Started by MightyGiants, April 19, 2024, 09:04:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Q. Coming in, do you find historically speaking that the draft tends to address needs, or do you feel there's a good core in place that you can be flexible?

JOE SCHOEN: I think right now we have enough needs that it can go either way, offense or defense. I think we're not one player away or two players.

So I think Shane (Bowen) coming in has been phenomenal with his communication and articulating what he's looking for in his scheme. We've had really good communication with him throughout this pre-draft process in terms of what players fit his scheme and, again, the value where we can get those players. Shane has been a really good addition and enjoying my time working with him so far.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Well he isn't making that mistake now because he already did that going into 2023.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 19, 2024, 09:34:48 AMWell he isn't making that mistake now because he already did that going into 2023.

Ha Ha so true.  2022 was a desert mirage, but unfortunately, the Giants brass thought they were looking at Dubai.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on April 19, 2024, 09:34:48 AMWell he isn't making that mistake now because he already did that going into 2023.

While I suspect you are referring mostly to Schoen signing Daniel Jones to a contract, there were plenty of other "win now" moves that Schoen made last season. 

Such as:

Trading a low third-round pick for TE Darren Waller

Trading a 2024 7th rounder for LB/S Isaiah Simmons

Swapping low 2025 round picks for Boogie Basham

One might argue retaining Barkley on the franchise tag was a win-now move.

You could also look to Schoen not trading away Barkley and McKinney midseason (there was still hope at 1925 Giants Way, that the team could come back) and instead allowing both to walk away with no direct compensation.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 19, 2024, 09:41:32 AMWhile I suspect you are referring mostly to Schoen signing Daniel Jones to a contract, there were plenty of other "win now" moves that Schoen made last season. 

Such as:

Trading a low third-round pick for TE Darren Waller

Trading a 2024 7th rounder for LB/S Isaiah Simmons

Swapping low 2025 round picks for Boogie Basham

One might argue retaining Barkley on the franchise tag was a win-now move.

You could also look to Schoen not trading away Barkley and McKinney midseason (there was still hope at 1925 Giants Way, that the team could come back) and instead allowing both to walk away with no direct compensation.

I wasn't referring to just Jones I was referring to everything which includes not dumping Saquon at the deadline in 2022 when he was at peak value being the number 1 back in the league at the time. Retaining Slayton over Love who was a glue guy, signing Waller etc.